Canadians MIA/UI List

nolando

Attending the NASL combine

Michal Misiewicz (Goalkeeper) – Born in Greece but moved to Alberta, Canada and has represented the national team at the Under-17, U-20 and U-23 levels … He is currently playing for Blyth Spartans FC in England after stint with Polish side Świt Nowy Dwór Mazowiecki … Also played with FC Edmonton and its reserve squad in 2012.

• Replies 735
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Issey has played in two friendly games for Banik Ostrava and he hasn't really impressed. As of yesterday, the coach wasn't sure if Issey would continue his trial or not.

Update - his trial has ended, and he has left for Toronto.

Toronto? (Ears perk up)

Finally (with a red tear) took Gerba off the list, along with Janeil Hoilett and Adrian Cann.

Added Dero, Issey Nakajima-Farran, Saiko, Michael Cox

Dry your eyes, he's doing ok!

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/01/24/what-ever-happened-ex-toronto-fc-montreal-impact-canmnt-striker-ali-gerba?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=News&utm_campaign=Unpaid

I have added Charlie Trafford, Pisanjuk and LaPenna who seem worthy of the list.

Paul Hamilton and Kevin Harmse seem effectively unemployed at the moment as well, although I will wait and see if they can earn NASL contracts, or work elsewhere, before adding them. Presumably both were asked to take pay cuts and presumably neither liked the idea.

I have added Charlie Trafford, Pisanjuk and LaPenna who seem worthy of the list.

Paul Hamilton and Kevin Harmse seem effectively unemployed at the moment as well, although I will wait and see if they can earn NASL contracts, or work elsewhere, before adding them. Presumably both were asked to take pay cuts and presumably neither liked the idea.

Yeah I'm sort of playing the waiting game with the NASL guys (and Trafford) as well, who are all three in limbo

In my google translate it seems Charlie is going on trial with Cox. Anyone here who actually understand Finnish?

Edit: I didn't read the part that Charlie signed with Turun Palloseura (TPS), but it's even confirmed on their wiki-page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turun_Palloseura

I took it to mean Charlie mentioned the possibility of the two coming during some kind of oral interview. Perhaps radio show or his contract signing press conference. But hey, what do I know; I have as much Finnish as the next guy.

Except I feel that number of those players need to eat some humble pie. Majority of them would be unwilling to play even in MLS and are also unwilling to take paycuts to do so. They prefer not to be paid at all

I can definitely see it both ways.

They probably see the financial opportunity and future career prospects as being much greater outside North America. 5-10 years ago conditions for back-end roster players were pretty tough. These days they are a bit better and I'd expect a lot of progress in the next CBA. That being said, Europe is still a better opportunity and a more straightforward route to the bigtime. Lot of these guys are thinking: either I make it somewhere great or I give up on a career in soccer. God bless the players who are late 20s and early 30s in the NASL, they are doing their best to entertain us, but personally it looks to me like a really bad financial choice. Seen more than a few players walk away from the game for that reason.

Flip side is: you have to start somewhere and it's easier to get your foot in the door and get a team to take an interest in you in North America than elsewhere. As a foreign talent you're judged on a much harsher scale and lot of guys get the butt end of that deal. I would use Attakora as an example: he probably thought what he was doing in MLS was not worth his time, until he saw the other side of the coin. Staying here and building up a rep can be positive, if done properly.

Archived