Canada Roster for ARG and VEN friendlies

jpg75

From talksoccer.net (translated from Portuguese by Google):

"Midfielder Pedro Pacheco, 25, and was used only 277 minutes in his first season in League I, with the National colors, was summoned for the selection of Canada will organize a tour to South America, where they will face selections from Argentina and Venezuela in the next 17 and May 30 respectively. It should be noted that the Azores have dual nationality and therefore the option of representing the Canadian colors."

I'm not sure if that parts about Azoreans having dual-citizenship with Canada is true or not (could be bad translation), but I do know many of them immigrate to North America.

Yes, it is a bad translation. "the Azores"in the second sentence should be "this Azorean", referring only to him having dual nationality.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ouch whats going on with that Venezeula roster? Why would some european based players not carry over for that match?

The good news is that Canada is at the point where the roster still looks fairly decent while missing a ton of regulars including Hirschfeld, McKenna, Jakovic, De Jong, Bernier, Hutchinson, Hume...

I wonder with the roster being so thin for Venezuela why not call up a guy like Marcus Haber? I like the call ups of Gavin McCallum and Pacheco but im not crazy about the call ups of Dunfield and Ademolu.

Issey needs to step up for Venezuela, he is in horrible form at the moment and will probably be given a start so he needs to show up

Alright Ed, you caught us, we've been sleeping in class... what's the deal with this kid?

Also, what kind of season has Sidra been having?

Thanks in advance!

MB

Gianluca has been with Bochum reserves for a couple of seasons now. Gets spotty playing time; only 9 appearances in the Regional League West, 1 goal. Would have expected Wassey to be called ahead of him actually but now is a great time to have a look at some of these players.

Sidra has been in and out of the Cottbus reserves lineup, 14 appearances in total (28 played to date); they managed to win their Oberliga division and next year play in the more competitive Regional League Nord/NordOst.

What ever happened to Olivier Occean? He continues to look like a good opton (on paper at least)

OO hasn't been playing much for Lillestrom, not really a first choice lately. But compared to some of the folks called up, he can't be much worse when it comes to the amount of play for their club side.

Considering some of the names on the roster, I wonder if Julian Uccello would have been called if we wasn't involved in relegation playouts in Italy.

I had thought Gianluca Zavarise had fallen off the face of the earth. I figured he'd go the way of Placentino and have to come back to Canada and find a club here. Nice to see him in Germany and getting a call.

For the uninitiated, Zavarise spent many years playing youth soccer in Italy but eventually came home because it wasn't working out. He eventually signed on with Bochum where I believe he plays for their reserve team. Not sure how that happened. I stopped following Canadians in Italy as closely as I use to.

------------

By the way, Pacheco's full name is:

Pedro Miguel Salgadinho Pacheco de Melo ;)

I got word from sources outside the CSA that Wassey is in fact on the roster. Perhaps the release missed his name.

Hmmm...well eventful stuff

I am happy that Onstad and Imhof would come when needed, especially Onstad who is in great club form. Unlike with a young player who they might be marketing with the exposure, Houston have absolutely nothing to gain for releasing him. Whether or not he would miss a league game or not is besides the point, as he could easily pick up a knock with the squad and, as Jeffrey S suggested, we should really shower these guys who come mid season with respect as this is a non-FIFA date. It looks like they will both be very much needed, like Jazic turned out to be the last match.

Dunfield? - meh, although I like seeing McCallum's name there even though I don't see him fast tracking to top tier football. At least he gets the chance to prove himself. I guess Rivas didn't prove anything the last time around or he would have been a logical pick for a smallish middle-career midfielder with a decidedly mediocre career (Dunfield)

Gotta love that Ademolu had it put into his contract that he could go whenever called by Canada - wonder how many else would be brave enough to ask for that, or at least brave enough to expect it to come to fruition. His club is early into their season at the moment, if I'm not mistaken.

Pity we couldn't have pried away a few of the other northern-based players in mid-league form as the Ven side especially wouldn't have hurt with the likes of Poz, Lars, OO and even a rapidly improving unknown like Finland-based Frank Jonke. I don't think Issey could be playing at much different level than Jonke, for example, and while Issey receives heavy criticism at club level Jonke receives rave reviews. And this is coming from a huge Issey fan.

Surprised to see so many MLS guys and doesn't it sound like TFC is possibly the most resistant of all MLS clubs to MNT call-ups? Maybe it's just me reading too much between the lines. Wouldn't have minded seeing Serioux for the Ven game but he looks to have become valuable at Houston with recent injuries freeing up a spot for him. That and Houston have already lost Hainault, which is a much more important selection. Wouldn't have minded seeing newbie Edson Edward if we are scraping the barrel for people in Eddy Sidra's range of ability and club form.

And speaking of Germans why no Jonathan Beaulieu-Bourgault? Ed?

Well, well. No Ali Gerba? Has he worn out his welcome or is it merely a lack of club keeping him from the squad? I am a bit surprised not to see him although he is likely in terrible shape as his name has not surfaced anywhere involving trials.

I have to give Friend credit. It would have been easy for him to skip these games with his injury issue this season and take a longer break, and I have questioned his passion and form at national level but his inclusion in both matches is a good sign.

Pacheco? Well, why not? Maybe another Menezes who comes right out of left field to become a mainstay. Or not.

Something stinks about the Edgar situation. For all we know he may feel insulted for a missing start ages back like Begovic. Or perhaps he is about to change clubs and it can't be released just yet. Or maybe he is marrying soon or has a sick granny or...but I would put this at Code Orange on the official Voyageurs Anxiety Meter. Something is not quite right as he would have been likely to start both games, especially without McKenna around. Might he have asked for assurance of a starting place, and not received it?

I don't mind Imhof only being there for the "money" game against Argentina as he is a fill-in and probably is doing us a favour, but Simpson and Peters' absence for the Venezuela needs more explanation as they should be figuring to solidify starting spots for a full-squad Canada, at least in my mind. You don't do that by leaving the office early for summer vacation, or whatever it is they are doing.

Doesn't it seem like Rich Hastings will be playing for Canada until he is Onstad's age?

Surprised to see so many MLS guys and doesn't it sound like TFC is possibly the most resistant of all MLS clubs to MNT call-ups?

They are the only club that could lose 5 players to this game, and they are giving up their two best players to play against Argentina - so no, it doesn't really sound like that to me on this occasion.

Btw, just noticed no Hume - is he injured as well?

Well, thanks to injuries and such Hart will get a chance to evaluate a variety of new candidates (I won't call them "prospects" because I think he'll find out that a number of these guys won't pass muster in training, like Rivas).

I sincerely hope Edgar's personal issues don't effect his club career, let alone his MNT situation. I won't bother speculating any further and I'll just leave it at that.

Devos' quote on twitter was, "If you aren't playing club football, you shouldn't be anywhere near you national team. I have no problem with Gerba's omission."

Fair enough but shouldn't the same apply to benchwarmers not playing club football matches in months such as Stalteri and Wagenaar?

Squad vs Argentina:

Friend

Simpson - De Rosario - Johnson

De Guzman - Imhof

Klukowski - Hastings – Hainault - Stalteri

Onstad

Straith for Stalteri 45’

Peters for Johnson 45’

Jackson for Friend 45’

And maybe a late run out for Pacheco

Prediction: A hard fought 3-0 loss.

Squad vs Venezuela:

Friend - Jackson

Nakajima - Dunfield - Ademolu

Pacheco

Klukowski - Hastings – Straith - Ledgerwood

Al Shaibani

McCallum for Dunfield 45 ‘

Sidra for Ledgerwood 45’

Zaverise for Pacheco late sub

Hard to make much work with this roster. Apart from Friend and Kluka it’s pretty much a C Team.

Prediction: A less respectable 3-0 loss.

I don't know what's up with Edgar but it's starting to look like he has no interest in playing for us! Fortunately we are developing good depth at CB! Overall not a bad pool of players for the Argentina match (maybe a little weak in net) but we should be able to put together a decent starting 11! I guess this puts an end to any Jono DeCuzman speculation as well as Hoilett! Good for the players though who have come forward to represent their country in a glamour friendly vs Argentina!

I must say that your comments did worry me but after reading rednation's article, I think we can feel ensured that your worries, as well as mine and every CMNT fan, are maybe wrong.

"David Edgar has some personal things to deal with and couldn't join us. "

Gianluca has been with Bochum reserves for a couple of seasons now. Gets spotty playing time; only 9 appearances in the Regional League West, 1 goal. Would have expected Wassey to be called ahead of him actually but now is a great time to have a look at some of these players.

Sidra has been in and out of the Cottbus reserves lineup, 14 appearances in total (28 played to date); they managed to win their Oberliga division and next year play in the more competitive Regional League Nord/NordOst.

I wonder who do you think has more potential, between Gianluca and Wassey, to play at a higher level than club reserve games?

Anyone know about Pedro Pacheco, I can't seem to find anything on the guy...

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/team/squad?teamId=3472&season=2009&cc=5901

From this link, I can say that he started 1 game and came as a substitute in 4 games during the last Portuguese season.

Pacheco's first game of the season was on October 5, 2009 where he played on 89 minutes, he came in for Ruben Micael (midfielder). The game ended CD Nacional de Madeira 2 - 0 Guimaraes.

His second game, played on October 12, 2009. Nacional won 1 - 0 against Belenenses. Pacheco played on 73 minutes and came in for striker Anselmo. After that, he saw some action again 3 months later on January 8, 2010 where his side lost 2 - 0 against Braga. He came in on 83 minutes for midfielder Nejc Pecnik. One week later he saw some action on 82 minutes against Sporting Lisbon, he came in for midfielder Ruben Micael and Nacional lost that day 2 - 3. And finally, he started in midfield the game played on April 2, 2010 where CD Nacional won 1 - 0 against Leixoes. However, he played 45 minutes, he came out for the striker Edgar Costa, the guy who scored the only goal on 46 minutes.

And that's it for Pacheco.

Three thoughts - Imhof? Is this a one-off?

Where are DeJong and Edgar? Suddenly I'm more worried about leftback than rightback.

And is Onstad playing against Argentina? It would be a nice reward for a loyal servant and TBH I'm not exactly confident with Pat, but the idea of Haider or Wagenaar (after no matches this season) really made me nervous.

Can anyone tell us anything about Pacheco besides height and position? Sergio I'm looking at you.

cheers,

matthew

Leftback is fine with just Klukowski, at least for 2 friendlies.

Devos' quote on twitter was, "If you aren't playing club football, you shouldn't be anywhere near you national team. I have no problem with Gerba's omission."

Fair enough but shouldn't the same apply to benchwarmers not playing club football matches in months such as Stalteri and Wagenaar?

agreed

I see his point, and the stakes go up internationally so you don't want to take risks, but he's by far the best finisher on the team, like ddr is a better player, friend probably is too but the only other natural finisher I can think of besides gerba is jackson. And if the player is up for the risk, friendlies are a good time to give a decent player a stage to get signed. I think we owe him the chance to play (or even just on the training ground) himself out of our rotation (if it were my call I would have brought him along, if he was out of shape, that's his problem, if he's fairly together though and we weren't scoring in BA i'd sub him in and possibly give him the start against venezuela).

And i know he's potted a few against poorer teams (I count 6 of his 15) but the man scored 14 goals in just over 2 years, I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that is completely unprecedented on our mnt.

Archived