Canada Roster for ARG and VEN friendlies

jpg75

Leftback is fine with just Klukowski, at least for 2 friendlies.

I think left back is fine period, but given our depth there and the fact that McKenna, Jakovic, Attakora, Cann and now Edgar are all out as CB options, I was thinking our depth at LB could help solidify the middle. Now I think we either have an issue at LB or we play Klukowski at LB and start Richard Hastings. I'm not sure which option I like more.

The only positive I can see from the back four is that Stalteri-Hainault-Hastings-Jazic was the back four at the 07 Gold Cup when we played so well. Klukowski's an upgrade; maybe the Hainault-Hastings pairing can hold up.

FWIW Nolando that's exactly my starting 11 as well.

cheers,

matthew

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I must say that your comments did worry me but after reading rednation's article, I think we can feel ensured that your worries, as well as mine and every CMNT fan, are maybe wrong.

"David Edgar has some personal things to deal with and couldn't join us. "

I can't say I'm any less concerned about Edgar, as has been pointed out "personal reasons" could be anything! We're a little short at CB for these friendlies but as I mentioned earlier, I think we have depth there overall with or without Mr. Edgar! I think Nana is developing very well, who knows how good this guy can be, it would have been too much for TFC to release 3 key players! I agree with Nolandos' starting 11 for Argentina BTW!

Devos' quote on twitter was, "If you aren't playing club football, you shouldn't be anywhere near you national team. I have no problem with Gerba's omission."

Fair enough but shouldn't the same apply to benchwarmers not playing club football matches in months such as Stalteri and Wagenaar?

I don't know what Stalteri's training situation has been like (with the first time or another squad within the BM set up) but I'm guessing that Wagenaar had been training regularly with the first team even if he was stuck on the bench. Gerba? I don't know what he's been doing since his TFC release in March but Hart probably does and has decided that he doesn't fit into his plans at this time. I don't see a problem with that, either.

I wouldn't read much into the "Personal Issues". May is a tough month. Many of our European based players plan vacations or time with family. I wouldn't put much stock into any missing for personal reasons.

Well, we've had Friend leave the GC for his wedding. But to give up an opportunity to play against Argentina at La Bombonera (is that still the venue?)....

I don't know what Stalteri's training situation has been like (with the first time or another squad within the BM set up) but I'm guessing that Wagenaar had been training regularly with the first team even if he was stuck on the bench. Gerba? I don't know what he's been doing since his TFC release in March but Hart probably does and has decided that he doesn't fit into his plans at this time. I don't see a problem with that, either.

Me too. Fırst we would go wıth one keeper ınto Venezuela ıf Wagenaar wasn t to be called and I prefer a SPL back up to the other optıons we have remaınıng (Rayner I guess or a youth keeper who has never played a Senıor pro game). Second Stalterı has been traınıng regularly wıth a B1 team so no problem there as well.

As for Gerba do we have ınformations about hım not beıng called? Could be trying to sort out hıs club sıtuatıon?

As for the roster I m glad to see Onstad comıng to the rescue once agaın and the MLS ers are a nıce surprıse. Wonder what Pacheco looks lıke....

I'm eager to see if Dunfiled can make an impact. It would be a good story if he can get back on track after injuries set back his promising career. Also, seeing new names such as Pacheco in this case is always exciting. My main concern with the call ups is that we continue to have to rely on guys like Onstad and Hastings because we have very few other options. I'm also scratching my head at Imhoff's inclusion. Did he not retire from the National team?

A lot of people say guys like Onstad, Hastings and Imhof should exit and make room for the young guns but really. If they are still playing at a high enough level that Hart would even consider calling them, then I say do it.

Its nice to hear about these guys playing with their hearts on their sleeves and coming whenever possible after being jerked around by defectors for so many years.

A lot of people say guys like Onstad, Hastings and Imhof should exit and make room for the young guns but really. If they are still playing at a high enough level that Hart would even consider calling them, then I say do it.

Its nice to hear about these guys playing with their hearts on their sleeves and coming whenever possible after being jerked around by defectors for so many years.

I agree but when we are trying to prepare for future World Cups (2014) and we have very few friendlies to do so it is a concern that we have little choice but to call on guys that we fealt were past it 2 qualification cycles ago. Anyways, for the record I'm happy to see Imhoff back. Always liked his tenacity and hard work. I'd love to see him in MLS with the Caps.

Imhoff was greatly missed in our last failed WCQ IMO! Bernier was played in the destroyer role at times and out wide at other times but I think we missed Imhoff since DeGuzman tends to play a more attacking role with our National team! I'd love to see him come back to MLS and I'm interested to see if he fits in with Harts' team!

Well, we've had Friend leave the GC for his wedding. But to give up an opportunity to play against Argentina at La Bombonera (is that still the venue?)....

No it is Monumental Stadium, aka River Plate Stadium, aka Nuñez, aka National Stadium, the historical stadium of the 1978 WC final.

I don't mind Imhof only being there for the "money" game against Argentina as he is a fill-in and probably is doing us a favour, but Simpson and Peters' absence for the Venezuela needs more explanation as they should be figuring to solidify starting spots for a full-squad Canada, at least in my mind. You don't do that by leaving the office early for summer vacation, or whatever it is they are doing.

Josh won't be at the second game...as he is getting married.

Devos' quote on twitter was, "If you aren't playing club football, you shouldn't be anywhere near you national team. I have no problem with Gerba's omission."

Fair enough but shouldn't the same apply to benchwarmers not playing club football matches in months such as Stalteri and Wagenaar?

Yeah but at least benchwarmers get some practice time, what's Ali G doing, snacking on Doritos and Pizza Hut watching the Nutrilite???

Wish Radzinski was selected. Here is my XI

CANADA vs Argentina

...............................ONSTAD

..KLUKOWSKI STALTERI HASTINGS HAINAULT

.................................IHMOF

JOHNSON.............................................. SIMPSON

................DE GUZMAN

................................... DE ROSARIO

..............................FRIEND

SUBS IN

PETERS

JACKSON

STRAITH or PACHECO

Wish Radzinski was selected. Here is my XI

CANADA vs Argentina

...............................ONSTAD

..KLUKOWSKI STALTERI HASTINGS HAINAULT

.................................IHMOF

SIMPSON.............................................. JOHNSON

................DE GUZMAN

................................... DE ROSARIO

..............................FRIEND

SUBS IN

PETERS

JACKSON

STRAITH or PACHECO

I think you have left and right flipped. But Stalteri at Centre back :o

I'd like to see us go with:

------------------Onstad-----------------

Stalteri------Straith---Hainault------Kluks

------------DeGuzman---Imhof------------

Johnson------------Dero----------Simpson

-------------------Friend-----------------

But i can say with about 90% certainty Hastings will be one of the CB's...

i gotta go with some experience... hopefully Stalteri can be solid for a game like this one... hainault eeee i dont receall the game but he was making some aweful plays

Possibly the 2007 Gold Cup. He did not play great that tournament, had a bunch of mixups with Onstad, but they've been playing together at club level since then so the communication should be better lol

Josh won't be at the second game...as he is getting married.

Congratulations to Josh and his future bride!

Me too. Fırst we would go wıth one keeper ınto Venezuela ıf Wagenaar wasn t to be called and I prefer a SPL back up to the other optıons we have remaınıng (Rayner I guess or a youth keeper who has never played a Senıor pro game). Second Stalterı has been traınıng regularly wıth a B1 team so no problem there as well.

As for Gerba do we have ınformations about hım not beıng called? Could be trying to sort out hıs club sıtuatıon?

As for the roster I m glad to see Onstad comıng to the rescue once agaın and the MLS ers are a nıce surprıse. Wonder what Pacheco looks lıke....

I'm under the impression he has not been training with the first side but that might be my poor translation of a news article. In any regard, Straith is ready to go in my eyes.

Archived