Canada Roster for ARG and VEN friendlies

jpg75

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Terry Called Up

Posted on: Fri 14 May 2010

Terry Dunfield isn't over yet as he's been called in to the Canada squad to play Venezuela at the end of the month.

The Canadian's have two games lined up again Argentina and Venezuela on the 24th and 29th of May as well as traioning camps in South America. Terry will play in the side at Venezuela in Merida on the 29th.

It is the first time that Terry has been called up to the senior squad and is a great honour for him:"I got a call from the coach on Saturday to get back to him about the possibility of playing for my country.

"They have games against Argentina and Venezuela at the end of the month.

"We spoke and he asked if I could come into the squad and play in the game against Venezuela.

"It is a great honour to be called up and I can't wait to go over and be involved with my county.

"It means that I will have to keep my training going that little bit longer before having a break."

http://www.shrewsburytown.com/page/NewsDetail/0,,10443~2052766,00.html

isn't anyone just a little bothered that we are playing vs Argentina and Stalteri is even called up? He hasn't seen the pitch in months and he gets callled up. and now everyone is saying that he will start. wowwwoowowoowow! he was an average player when he was playing all the time, now that he hasn't been playing, how good can he be? there is a reason he didn't play at all this year. because he is done at that level and yet the CNMT still calls him up. play guys like hainault and straith and so on....atleast their young and it will benefit our national team future. not guys like stalteri who never play. if he was playing regurlarly than maybe, but not now!

Why are people complaining about Stalteri being there?

This confuses me to no end. He is a great guy to have on the back line to give some calmness across the mouth of the goal. He has been training with a B1 team all year, so he is probably in as good as form as any of the players who could take his spot. Against a team like Argentina he should pay off in spades as he can give some confidence to our centre halfs and will most likely be wearing the armband and be a leader on the pitch for everyone. I doubt JDG makes the trip.

Why are people complaining about Stalteri being there?

This confuses me to no end. He is a great guy to have on the back line to give some calmness across the mouth of the goal. He has been training with a B1 team all year, so he is probably in as good as form as any of the players who could take his spot. Against a team like Argentina he should pay off in spades as he can give some confidence to our centre halfs and will most likely be wearing the armband and be a leader on the pitch for everyone. I doubt JDG makes the trip.

because it serves no purpose for him to be there. what is the point in having him pplay,, when you can get a younger player who will be in your world cup qualifying round next year? that young player can benefit immensly from playing vs argentina in a packed house in a tough enviroment. i could understand onstad being there. this is only because our regular keepers are injured or not playing(sutton). but what purpose does Stalteri have in being there? yes he is a great guy and has helped Canada many times before, but if we want to get better as a football natrion we must start to turn the page on the past and start looking to the future, which is WC2014! this is all i am saying.

if he would have played all year, then ok, no problem. But training in B1 is not even close to playing a match of this level.

^^ Throwing young players out in a pressure packed game against vastly superior opposition is not necessarily the best way to develop player's skills or confidence especially when we don't even have a full A team for this match. I would rather them play in a situation they can handle. With the roster we have called we are already going to be forced to play some pretty young and inexperienced players anyway. The younger, less experienced players should be at the most brought in as subs late in the game. This game is more about playing a high-profile friendly and giving loyal players a bonus than about team and individual skill development. The Venezuela game will be far more important in terms of developing the next WCQ squad. The opposition will be closer to our level and there will still be the pressure of playing in South America. I would hope that players like Straith or Ledgerwood will take the place of Stalteri for that game.

Stalteri, Straith, and Hainault all have some guts, too. Those Argie boys aren't so quick when they're lying on the ground!

(Hey, how'd that game with Japan where Watson said that turn out again? I forget.)

Well to refresh your memory: the Confederations Cup match against Japan in 2001 was a story of two halves. The first half was highlighted by quite a few crosses by Jim Brennan and poor finishing by Paul Peschisolido. It could easily have been 0-3 for Canada. Then in the second half, Japanese manager Troussier made the adjustments and lots of opportunities for the Japanese, especially Nakata. The match ended 3-0, despite another brilliant match from Craig Forrest. Watson, well, he got burned lots of times so speed does matter ...

I am wondering if JDG will even be heading to Argentina any more after pulling out of the LA game.

Ahhhh f*ck! What the hell!?! That really sucks... I read about him not playing in the VWC v TFC game and had to check here for sure and pose the question you asked... will he still come down here?

Here is some conformation, JDG is missing the Argentina match...

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2010/05/jdg-skips-argentina-trip

Wasn't he bit with hamstring troubles last year to?

Cause for worry. If you let the rot set some of those hamstring injuries can be a ***** to ever set right again. Not exactly an immediate career threat maybe but they can handicap a fellow going forward. Kind of like some of those foot or back injuries you see which eventually cause premature retirements.

More confirmation that McKenna's 'personal issues' were in fact medical as the Cottbus site reports he had to pull out from participating in the tribute match to Cottbus legend Tomas Piplica today because of surgery on his groin.

Archived