Canada Roster for ARG and VEN friendlies

jpg75

Here it is:

http://www.canadasoccer.com/news/viewArtical.asp?Press_ID=4251

Canada announces rosters, broadcast for South American trip

Canada's men's national team has announced its rosters for the upcoming camp and matches in South America this 17-29 May. Coach Stephen Hart has selected 24 players, 19 of whom will take part in the 24 May match against Argentina and 16 of whom will take part in the 29 May match against Venezuela.

The Canadian Soccer Association has also announced that both away international matches will be broadcast on Rogers Sportsnet. The 24 May match from Buenos Aires, Argentina will be broadcast live on all four Rogers Sportsnet channels at 15:30 ET / 12:30 PT. Rogers Sportsnet will also be broadcasting the 29 May match from Merida, Venezuela, with the schedule to be announced in the coming weeks.

"This is a wonderful opportunity to play these two big matches in Argentina and Venezuela," said Canada's national head Stephen Hart. "It is also terrific news that our fans at home and abroad will get to watch the matches on Rogers Sportsnet."

The 24 May match will be the first meeting between the two national sides of Canada and Argentina. ‪‪The host, a two-time FIFA World Cup™ champion, has selected Canada as one of its last opponents in preparation for the 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa™, which runs this 11 June to 11 July.

"Putting together the roster for these two matches was a challenge because of injuries and unforeseen player commitments," said Hart. "Most of the clubs, however, have been cooperative and I thank them for their understanding and support."

The 29 May match provides Canada with a second international test against a South American opponent. Additional players will be added to the Canadian lineup for the Venezuela match.

"Venezuela has built quite a successful program in recent years," said Hart. "At home, the team has shown to be a difficult opponent for the best of South America. I expect a very good match that will be of value to our future development."

Of note, the two matches provide very different challenges for the Canadian squad. Canada will have four days to prepare for the Argentina match which is expected to be played in the cool fall weather. Canada then has three days to prepare for the Venezuela match, which is expected to be played in heat, not to mention at altitude.

These two matches will be Canada's last international matches before the world breaks to watch the 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa™.

In the second half of the year, Canada will return to action with matches already scheduled in September and October. The two September matches - 4 September in Toronto and 7 September in Montréal - will both be played in Canada.

CANADA (v. Argentina)

1- G- Wagenaar, Josh | SCO / Falkirk

2- D- Straith, Adam | GER / Energie Cottbus

3- D- Klukowski, Mike | BEL / Club Brugge

4- D- Hainault, André | USA / Houston Dynamo

6- M- de Guzman, Julian | CAN / Toronto FC

7- D- Stalteri, Paul | GER / Borussia Monchengladbach

8- M- Johnson, Will | USA / Real Salt Lake

9- F- Friend, Rob | GER / Borussia Monchengladbach

10- M- Imhof, Daniel | SUI / St. Gallen

11- D- Hastings, Richard | SCO / Hamilton

12- D- Ledgerwood, Nik | GER / Frankfurt

13- M- Peters, Jaime | ENG / Ipswich Town

14- M- De Rosario, Dwayne | CAN / Toronto FC

15- M- Simpson, Josh | TUR / Manisaspor

16- F- Jackson, Simeon | ENG / Gillingham FC

17- F- Ademolu, Stephen | LIT / FK Ekranas

18- G- Onstad, Pat | USA / Houston Dynamo

19- D- Pacheco, Pedro | POR / Nacional

22- G- Al Shaibani, Haidar | FRA / Nimes Olympique

Head of delegation / Chef de délégation : Maestracci, Dr. Dominic

Head of delegation / Chef de délégation : Montagliani, Victor

Head Coach / Entraîneur-chef : Hart, Stephen

Assistant Coach / Entraîneur adjoint : Fonseca, Tony

Goalkeer Coach / Entraîneur des gardiens : Dolan, Paul

Video Coordinator / Coordinateur des vidéos : Mendes, Victor

Team Manager / Gérant de l’équipe : Quarry, Morgan

Equipment Manager / Gérant de l’équipement : Moretto, Mike

Doctor / Docteur : Campbell, Dr. Mike

Physiotherapist / Physiothérapeute : Tilbury, Ted

Physiotherapist / Physiothérapeute : Kusch, Garret

-----------------------------------------------------------

CANADA (v. Venezuela)

1- G- Wagenaar, Josh | SCO / Falkirk

2- D- Sidra, Eddy | GER / Energie Cottbus

3- D- Klukowski, Mike | BEL / Club Brugge

4- D- Straith, Adam | GER / Energie Cottbus

6- M- Zavarise, Gianluca | GER / Bochum

7- D- Stalteri, Paul | GER / Borussia Monchengladbach

8- M- Dunfield, Terry | ENG / Shrewsbury Town FC

9- F- Friend, Rob | GER / Borussia Monchengladbach

11- D- Hastings, Richard | SCO / Hamilton

12- M- Ledgerwood, Nik | GER / Frankfurt

14- M- McCallum, Gavin | ENG / Hereford United

15- M- Nakajima-Farran, Issey | DEN / AC Horsens

16- F- Jackson, Simeon | ENG / Gillingham FC

17- F- Ademolu, Stephen | LIT / FK Ekranas

19- M- Pacheco, Pedro | POR / Nacional

22- G- Al Shaibani, Haidar | FRA / Nimes Olympique

Head of delegation / Chef de délégation : Maestracci, Dr. Dominic

Head Coach / Entraîneur-chef : Hart, Stephen

Assistant Coach / Entraîneur adjoint : Fonseca, Tony

Goalkeer Coach / Entraîneur des gardiens : Dolan, Paul

Video Coordinator / Coordinateur des vidéos : Mendes, Victor

Team Manager / Gérant de l’équipe : Quarry, Morgan

Equipment Manager / Gérant de l’équipement : Moretto, Mike

Doctor / Docteur : Campbell, Dr. Mike

Physiotherapist / Physiothérapeute : Tilbury, Ted

Physiotherapist / Physiothérapeute : Kusch, Garret

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Who is Pedro Pacheco!?

I could not have less idea.

Nice to see Pat Onstad back.

Bewildering to see Terry Dunfield and Gavin McCallum kicking around. "Hey, Terry Dunfield a decade ago, golden boy of the U-20 team. You're not going to get your first full national appearance until you're twenty-eight years old and playing in League Two, and you'll be playing with somebody named 'Pedro Pacheco'. Good luck with that career!"

Vote for Pedro!

Hmm, some surprises for sure: Pedro Pacheco, Pat Onstad, Gianluca Zavarise, and Terry Dunfield. Didn't expect Onstad or Dunfield, as I thought they were off the radar. Good on Stephen Hart for keeping that player pool interesting.

Three thoughts - Imhof? Is this a one-off?

Where are DeJong and Edgar? Suddenly I'm more worried about leftback than rightback.

And is Onstad playing against Argentina? It would be a nice reward for a loyal servant and TBH I'm not exactly confident with Pat, but the idea of Haider or Wagenaar (after no matches this season) really made me nervous.

Can anyone tell us anything about Pacheco besides height and position? Sergio I'm looking at you.

cheers,

matthew

I don't know what's up with Edgar but it's starting to look like he has no interest in playing for us! Fortunately we are developing good depth at CB! Overall not a bad pool of players for the Argentina match (maybe a little weak in net) but we should be able to put together a decent starting 11! I guess this puts an end to any Jono DeCuzman speculation as well as Hoilett! Good for the players though who have come forward to represent their country in a glamour friendly vs Argentina!

I don't know what's up with Edgar but it's starting to look like he has no interest in playing for us! Fortunately we are developing good depth at CB! Overall not a bad pool of players for the Argentina match (maybe a little weak in net) but we should be able to put together a decent starting 11! I guess this puts an end to any Jono DeCuzman speculation as well as Hoilett! Good for the players though who have come forward to represent their country in a glamour friendly vs Argentina!

I have to imagine that Hoilett will eventually come round for us (JonDG is another story). The fact is he's still only 19 and throwing him out there against Argentina may not be the best way to ease him into the national team.

On rumours that he had faced some resistance from players with respect to them wanting to take part in the match and go to Argentina:

"It was not so much having to sell the players. A lot of players are torn as they are pressured by their clubs. Not all the clubs are happy to let players go. As you know, it is not a FIFA date, so it is sometimes a matter of players being torn between their clubs and us, which is not an ideal situation."

Thanks for clearing that up. It seems like socceronly was pretty close to hitting the nail on the head in the other thread.

From talksoccer.net (translated from Portuguese by Google):

"Midfielder Pedro Pacheco, 25, and was used only 277 minutes in his first season in League I, with the National colors, was summoned for the selection of Canada will organize a tour to South America, where they will face selections from Argentina and Venezuela in the next 17 and May 30 respectively. It should be noted that the Azores have dual nationality and therefore the option of representing the Canadian colors."

I'm not sure if that parts about Azoreans having dual-citizenship with Canada is true or not (could be bad translation), but I do know many of them immigrate to North America. Interestingly, this was posted back on April 23, so this guy has better intel than we do...

In any case, he seems to be a bench midfielder/full-back for a mid-table team in La Liga, so it's hard to judge his quality sight-unseen.

McKenna had some surgery last week so I would guess that would be HIS 'personal issues'. I posted yesterday that he was slated to be in a tribute game in Cottbus for Thomas Piplica (longtime keeper there). I'll be interested to see if they update his status.

Some musings:

I'm going to believe that Edgar's 'personal issues' are real. Hart doesn't indicate that he's having difficulty comminting.

Players I've never heard of ... Pedro Pacheco and Gianluca Zavarise. Wow.

Players I'd never thought I'd see in a Canada uniform again ... Onstad, Ademolu, Dunfeild

Player that I hope can use this to get his career back on track ... Issey

Some musings:

I'm going to believe that Edgar's 'personal issues' are real. Hart doesn't indicate that he's having difficulty comminting.

Players I've never heard of ... Pedro Pacheco and Gianluca Zavarise. Wow.

Players I'd never thought I'd see in a Canada uniform again ... Onstad, Ademolu, Dunfeild

Player that I hope can use this to get his career back on track ... Issey

You haven't been paying attention. He is featured in the Canucks in Germany reports.

You haven't been paying attention. He is featured in the Canucks in Germany reports.

Alright Ed, you caught us, we've been sleeping in class... what's the deal with this kid?

Also, what kind of season has Sidra been having?

Thanks in advance!

MB

Archived