GC - July 18th - Canada vs. Honduras

jpg75

quote:Originally posted by nolbertos

Just came back from an errand and caught the last 10 minutes of the game. I say Honduras didn't deserve to win, well in the full 90 minutes anyways, but Canada didn't seem to dominate. And to all those haters, yes, Ref calls always haunt Canada, but we have to get through it, and learn from it and honestly..Why the **ck can't Canada learn to dive, delay game in the penalty box too. This fair game and honour crap doesn't work in CONCACAF or CONMEBOL. Even the Yanks are learning that falling down after a slight touch, is an advantage to win the game. I've been clamouring that along time. Well, back to the game. I'm curious to hear G-L's and other's opinions of the full match, but if we can't even beat a Honduras B-team, with our full strength squad, something is wrong and amiss in the tournament, and most likely provides more argument on why we didn't make it to the HEX and won't make it in the next round of WCQ, if we don't get better with player pool and skills.

I may be the minority but I'd always prefer to lose with my head up then win with my head down, it's playing football, not playing the ref and poor sportsmanship will just sully in my heart any good we ever get.

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Juby

I may be the minority but I'd always prefer to lose with my head up then win with my head down, it's playing football, not playing the ref and poor sportsmanship will just sully in my heart any good we ever get.

Well said. Even though Canada lost, I'm proud of their effort. Honduras can go on and win the Gold Cup but they'll always be losers at football.

What a horrible bit of officiating on the PK, and once again we fall to a crap ref.

We showed some good stuff today, and all tournament. We need to build on this, and consistently. We need to get Attakora and Ledgerwood and (fingers crossed) Hoillet into this line-up and see if we can build more chemistry.

Now, if only we could take a bloody corner kick, eh?

I hope Hart continues to give some of our young guys a chance to find their way on to this team. I hope that many of our young guys continue to develop so that they can indeed raise the level of our overall play.

Cannot knock the passion of our guys. they fought hard, and Hart was good, and we need to keep building.

DeGuzman was great today, as was Simpson and Kluka, Jakovic, Bernier (mostly) and even Sutton. Hutch was good, but not quite on. Our right side needs to start developing the sort of chemistry that Simpson and Kluka are finding.

I am not apologizing for the ref but I don't think that he is the only reason why we lost. There are plenty that we can improve on, we are on the right track but have a long way to go. If we blame it all on the ref and not take responsibility for our game, we will keep making the same mistakes.

Also I think, Canada should bring a bit of unsportsmanship in their own game also. If Hondorus can always get away with these diving in the last minutes or at dangerous areas of the field. Why don't we attempt to do the same like Paul Peschie used to. What does our honour get us? We are suckers...

Funny how back in the day when I first started following our NT things like this used to enrage me. Guess I've gotten used to it, I expect bad calls. The way I look at it is you have to score to succed in CONCACAF which we have historically not been good at.

I agree with you in principle, but it just gets so frustrating to see the same thing every two years. I wish there was some way I could believe the reffing would ever improve in CONCACAF and that playing good honest football would ever pay off.

We need to learn to be mentally tougher and fight through bad calls. We also can't say that we should have won this game because we didn't score a goal. That said, we played relatively well for the most part and i think we should be optimistic going forward.

Couple of other points; We need a game-changing type offensive player, don't know who that'll be going forward but i kept thinking it'd be nice to have DeRo in the game today. I'd like to see Tam Nsaliwa back in the fold...Sutton looked good tonight, but i still think we need to upgrade this position. Hopefully Dan Fernandes switches back to Canada...Peters sucks...i hope Hoilett plays for Canada soon.

Sure it was a bad call. sure it cost us a goal. But lots of people on here were saying how Honduras is going to score 1, they always do. We didn't get any, and that's what this is about. We got a few questionable calls go our way, and they got one their way which unfortunately led to a goal.

Bottom line though, no one could finish tonight, and that's that. It wasn't the ref that kept the ball out of the net. Honduras' GK played great, but no one could bury one.

Oh and Will Johnson really needs to hit the gym... Gotta beef those legs up a bit. His attempts from within the box have been terrible... De Guzman played pretty poorly too, but bottom line is we couldn't score...

I would agree to an extent, in the end WINNING is WINNING..doesn't matter how it's done, even if we had to put a Hand of God, but do you think the Hondurans, Mexican fans would say..darn shame that we won by cheating..no, they're celebrating and bragging and probably glad they made it to the next round. I'd rather win, ugly, cheating, diving, clawing, biting..ok..that's an exaggeration, than lose honourably. Hey..it's the South American futbol culture in me, whereas Canada will forever have the refs against them, cuz they beleive playing with the head high up, will bring positive results.

quote:Originally posted by puskas

What does our honour get us?

...honour means you can take pride in yourself and your accomplishments, no one can ruin it for you, they'll try either way but if you cheated your way their you lose good innocent happy feeling in exchange for a trophey in this case, I guess it's just a matter of opinion of what you prefer but I can guareentee in a perfect world we all would prefer both

I know the penalty call was crap, but from what I recall from the play, Jakovic looked really foolish in going up in the air and totally missing the ball - I wish I saw the replay of the long ball in again.

Not a "fair" result, but that's football. We really couldn't penetrate in the final third and when we had a few chances we couldn't deliver. It's also a shame because Honduras was missing at least four of their best players. Way too many wasted corners, and I think every free-kick in decent range went (very) low into the wall. Besides these negatives, I thought Canada played a decent enough game. It was good to see us continue to use a patient build-up and keep our shape.

I think we will continue with this 4-3-3 formation, even when the significant absentees return to the team. Overall, I liked the way both Simpson and Johnson played on the wings. Where do you think DeRo would fit in? Gerba should earn some more opportunities in the future after his 2 goals, but I'm still not sold - he looks just awful at times (lack of dribbling / passing skills, and slow to react to the flow of play). He's good to use when we play lesser competition, but I just don't think he can do it against high quality opposition.

quote:Originally posted by puskas

I am not apologizing for the ref but I don't think that he is the only reason why we lost. There are plenty that we can improve on, we are on the right track but have a long way to go. If we blame it all on the ref and not take responsibility for our game, we will keep making the same mistakes.

Also I think, Canada should bring a bit of unsportsmanship in their own game also. If Hondorus can always get away with these diving in the last minutes or at dangerous areas of the field. Why don't we attempt to do the same like Paul Peschie used to. What does our honour get us? We are suckers...

Hey Puskas, I agree that there's plenty of areas we can improve on. But we're as good as all of the countries in Central America, and our guys have made every adjustment possible over the last two decades.

We protest? We get red carded. We dive? We get no call, yellow carded, or jeered by their fellow Canadians. We do nothing? We get farther in tournaments but get screwed in the end.

The only thing we can do is keep improving...we're complaining about many of the things the Americans complained about in the 70's and 80's.

true we didn't score, but the ref gifting Honduras a lead meant they didn't have to do anything but defend. Now, I'm not saying it's the same level of play, but just look at how USA beat Spain at the Confed Cup. Once they had the lead they just defended the hell out of it. The difference? They created their own goals.

I think the biggest disappointment for me right now isn't the result. It's the fact that we literally don't have a game of any real meaning for TWO WHOLE YEARS. I'm sitting here reading the threads, suffering along with the rest of you because I don't want to go upstairs and hang my jersey up in the closet.

quote:Originally posted by nolbertos

I would agree to an extent, in the end WINNING is WINNING..doesn't matter how it's done, even if we had to put a Hand of God, but do you think the Hondurans, Mexican fans would say..darn shame that we won by cheating..no, they're celebrating and bragging and probably glad they made it to the next round. I'd rather win, ugly, cheating, diving, clawing, biting..ok..that's an exaggeration, than lose honourably. Hey..it's the South American futbol culture in me, whereas Canada will forever have the refs against them, cuz they beleive playing with the head high up, will bring positive results.

I don't think it helps, but cheating and game changing ref errors defeats the whole purpose of the game, why bother to call it football if it's really a cheating contest (not really this game but as far as doing whatever you can) rules are not meant to be broken, if you can't win a game within the rules, you have to sit their and let people make fun of you because it would only get worse if you started bragging about how good your team is at cheating. We might as well start games by having the players empty their pockets, whichever team has the most money wins and has to give their money half to refs, half to the other team (literally, who wants it more), that's about as accurate it will be if you think your only breaking the rules if you get caught.

We didn't finish our chances, our attack either went through Hutch or through Simpson, rendering it quite predictable (but at times very effective), and I don't think deGuzman had a strong game (but he did start quite a few attacks, it was some of his personal ball carrying that didn't work well).

Quite frankly, had they not been gifted the penalty, I believe we would have scored before the end of the first half. Getting ahead allowed those dirty f-uckers to just sit back and absorb our pressure. Damn I wish McKenna's would have fallen for us, it just seemed like it wasn't going to be for us today.

I'm glad that the up and comers saw a lot of time on the pitch for us. Simeon just about had clear chances at least three times, I was pulling for him to equalize for us so hard, just wasn't his day, or ours in general.

...honour means you can take pride in yourself and your accomplishments, no one can ruin it for you, they'll try either way but if you cheated your way their you lose good innocent happy feeling in exchange for a trophey in this case, I guess it's just a matter of opinion of what you prefer but I can guareentee in a perfect world we all would prefer both

The one and only time I'd agree with Juby. If we have to play like those guys to achieve anything, I'd rather not achieve anything. That's the difference between us and them, one's a banana republic, that gets self esteem through a game and the other...well... isn't.

As for honour, Honduras didn't really do anything much here that was dishonourable. yes, Chavez was pathetic, but we drew as many fouls as they did. What sucked was that the official made a terrible, incorrect call. That had nothing to do with Honduras' honor.

quote:Originally posted by Joe MacCarthy

The one and only time I'd agree with Juby. If we have to play like those guys to achieve anything, I'd rather not achieve anything. That's the difference between us and them, one's a banana republic, that gets self esteem through a game and the other...well... isn't.

good god, I'm going out, I wish someone else could explain the problem here, but I'm going to go destress for a couple days

I don't think it helps, but cheating and game changing ref errors defeats the whole purpose of the game, why bother to call it football if it's really a cheating contest (not really this game but as far as doing whatever you can) rules are not meant to be broken, if you can't win a game within the rules, you have to sit their and let people make fun of you because it would only get worse if you started bragging about how good your team is at cheating. We might as well start games by having the players empty their pockets, whichever team has the most money wins and has to give their money half to refs, half to the other team (literally, who wants it more), that's about as accurate it will be if you think your only breaking the rules if you get caught.

Well..in ideal world, I would agree 100% with you, but after seeing live matches in South America awhile back..that honour goes out the window, cuz they treat the game differently than up here. I'm not saying buy off the ref, but you gotta play witty, sly. cunning to win the game, and fall down when you should. oh well, maybe it's a culture roadblock up here, but I've heard that same record of refs being biased, not just here, but even in WCQ matches in South America, You suck it up and play with your strengths and exploit the weaknesses..that's all I can say

Why get all so excited and expectant pre-match, this is a competent, working man's team , with not a great deal of forward skill and creativity. The facts are we could not beat a third -rate Honduran team--their first team would bury Canada in a WCQ match,and to think someone here predicted 3-0 to Canada!!!!!

Where are all the Sutton boo-boys now , because he played very well today, and very bravely --saved at least two goals when sheer speed allowed their forwards into the box.

I believe we had 8 corners..and they were badly taken corners...what a waste....we had a free kick near the end, that Klukowski and another player really messed up.

The ref booked 2 Hondurans early on, both harshly I thought,but those players had to be careful for the remainder of the match ,and I think I would have given a penalty in the 2 nd. minute against Stalteri..he was lucky, as he tugged the player's shoulder in the box.

There were good signs from this squad,they work well together, play a fairly fast passing game,but the quality is not there,even JDG is not up to his best...it's that simple,the quality is not there..otherwise all the world's clubs would be lining up to grab these players...and they are not..and I am a Gillingham supporter who was born in Gillingham 64 years ago.......but do not see a huge line-up to buy Jackson.

Archived