GC - July 18th - Canada vs. Honduras

jpg75

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Acid-Tone

the ref was running in to make that PK call as soon as he saw what he thought was the honduran player falling, but the fact is that player was actually leaning back to attempt the bicycle kick...

I think you hit it.. If that's the case, this ref comically awful..

quote:Originally posted by I_AM_CANADIAN

1. It clearly missed his hand.

2. If it had hit his hand, which it didn't, it was clearly un-intentional. Clearly no foul.

Ok then... but remember Stalteri had his hands up right behind a guy who was attempting a bicycle kick. Pretty much like a guy blocking the net in volleyball... Anyway, Sportsnet said otherwise so that must be it.

Hutch and Simpson are playing really well, De guzman is playing well, so is sutton, klukowski and johnson. with the back line (except klukowski) it's hard to say because they've been playing alright, made a couple of errors (everything leading up to the ball falling to stalteri in the box was terrible) but they also got a terrible call against them. Bernier seemed a little quiet after the first 10. It's also hard to say with Gerba, not much service, he's been showing some energy but maybe he could be doing more to help, I think he's playing alright though.

quote:Originally posted by greenfield

at this point, I'm not even mad. Cost of doing business in CONCACAF. One day I'd like to be pleasantly surprised though.

Ya know...been there too many times (most years after '87 as I recall :)). When Jack Warner retires, hopefully someone will lead CONCACAF into an era where officials are properly trained or at least told there's not an "expected" result to ensure the popularity/credibility/financial sustainability of their international tournaments.

In the meantime, I would like Stephen Hart (and any Canadian manager of the future) to preach traditional Canadian discipline amongst our players.

And then I'd like him to verbally tear the ear off the referee on his long walk to the tunnel, even if it means a red card (after properly relaying his instructions to his replacement, of course).

Dobson confirmed the call was for contact with the player not a handball. Whatever angle you want to look at it, it was a terrible call. I'm seriously thinking these refs take bribes because it's not a two way street for bad calls. It would be tolerable if we got some free goals once and a while but we're going upon a decade of what I can remember of being screwed.

quote:Originally posted by Lurker

It's sickening really. The first call that was let go really early on against Martinez was callable in my opinion, Stalteri hand on the shoulder. Maybe that was a retribution call.

I think that's it, it's a revlon call...

Here is a different take on the PK. The ref could or should have penalized the honduran player for doing the bycicle kick too close to an opponent, in this case Stalteri, and give an indirect free kick against Honduras for dangerous play.

quote:Originally posted by DigzTFC

Dobson confirmed the call was for contact with the player not a handball. Whatever angle you want to look at it, it was a terrible call. I'm seriously thinking these refs take bribes because it's not a two way street for bad calls. It would be tolerable if we got some free goals once and a while but we're going upon a decade of what I can remember of being screwed.

The Americans have shown you got to play your way to the top of the CONCACAF table to get the "free" calls.

quote:Originally posted by The Ref

Here is a different take on the PK. The ref could or should have penalized the honduran player for doing the bycicle kick too close to an opponent, in this case Stalteri, and give an indirect free kick against Honduras for dangerous play.

Personally, I felt it was a 50/50 ball...I don't think there was unruly contact either way. Had he scored on it (directly), I would have just said it was a good goal...

My two cents.

Archived