GC - July 18th - Canada vs. Honduras

jpg75

Sat. July 18th from Lincoln Field in Philadelphia, Canada vs. Honduras in Gold Cup QF1.

I really hope we smash these guys brutally. It won't make up for losing in WCQ, but it'll make me feel a little bit better about it. Aside from Costly and Martinez this is essentially a Honduras B team, and despite the lopsided win over Grenada they look quite beatable.

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest speedmonk42
quote:Originally posted by Keegan

1 -0 Honduras on a penalty in the 70th minute

no no no.

Those come in 89+

Did... did you actually mean that?? And yes, it would be around the 90th minute when the gifted penalty would be called against us.

We're playing good footie right now, so let's crush them mercilessly. We'll take it 2-0, goals from Bernier and Johnson. Will will pot a cracker from just inside the top of the box. JDG will set him up.

We sure as hell better beat them given the line-up they've brought. Based on the most exhaustive research i'm willing to do (all praise be unto Wikipedia) they only have a handful of regular starters and are missing 13 players from their last World Cup qualifier and only 2 starting members of that team (Carlos Costly and Osman Chavez). Most notably, they are missing their first and second keepers (Valladeres (CD Olimpia) Coello (Marathon)), Figeroa (Wigan), Guevara (Toronto), Wilson Palacios (Tottenham), Rambo (Parma), Pavon (Necaxa), Suazo (Inter Milan), Turcios (Olimpia) and Sabillon (Marathon).

In short, if we can't beat this Honduras team we probably never will. I don't know much about the local guys but as long as we shut down the attack of Martinez and Costly we should be alright. Roger Espinoza (Kansas City) has looked pretty dangerous in the MLS this year, but he really shouldn't be a match for de Guzman, Hutchinson, etc.

That having been said, this is still Honduras and they cannot be taken lightly. We haven't beaten them in the last 5 attempts (3 losses, 2 draws) and not in a competitive match since the '96 Gold Cup. Just to give you an idea how long that is, the winning goal in that game was scored by Kevin Holness who, incidentally, scored a brace. Recent games against Honduras have been among the most frustrating experiences I have ever had watching the Canadian team. There is almost a palpable feeling of foreboding during the games where I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop - more often than not, this manifests itself as a Honduran player laying prone in the penalty area with one arm raised pleading to the ref with tears in his eyes while I simultaneously find the nearest heavy object to thow across the room. For the sake of the collective sanity of every Canadian fan we simply cannot lose this game. The last competitive fixture for the next two years cannot be a loss to the B-Squad of the team that shattered our World Cup hopes. It is an unspeakable blasphemy which should not even be considered.

My prediction:

They will score. No matter how much we dominate or how well we play they will score. They have done so in all but one of the 16 games we've played against them; a 1-0 win in Tegucigalpa in 1985. As I understand it, that team was fairly good. The point is, it could be on a dubious penalty or on a counter attack or a freak 35 yard volley, but somehow they will get one. The important thing to remember is that, after failed de Guzman clearance header, deadened by his massive fro, skips over the feet of 3 defenders and is burried into the top right corner by a dazed and confused Richard Hastings (in the preceding melee, Sutton has punched him in the back of the head as payback for being called out), we will still manage to win this game somehow.

That's right, against my better judgement and tempting The Fates, I'm calling it. 3-1 for Canada with goals from Gerba, de Guzman and either Hutchinson or Bernier. Next Saturday can't come soon enough.

(And to think, I was having a hard time getting excited for this Gold Cup.;))

It will most definitely be occupying my time at practice Wednesday! Hell from now until then!!!

Why is every Canada game this GC on an evening when I can't miss a function!.....and it's not on Sportsnet Pacific to tape!!!

Canada 2-1 Honduras.

Gerba

Simpson

De Guzman MOTM.

quote:Originally posted by speedmonk42

no no no.

Those come in 89+

Wrong again those come in handy when we play against the USA 89min+ as well to break the tie.

While Honduras after a penalty in the 70th minute and they take a 1-0 lead. Suddenly all Honduran players will have Cramps, Convulsion & Diarrhea. While the Honduran coach will gesticulate as if his ass is on fire.[}:)]

Not to be a party-pooper, but those of you predicting a massive Canadian victory are only setting yourselves up for pain and disappointment. Nothing against our lads, but even a second string Honduran side knows how to play good football--relative to CONCACAF, that is--and our lads will need to play really well to get the win.

quote:Originally posted by footballfreak

That having been said, this is still Honduras and they cannot be taken lightly. We haven't beaten them in the last 5 attempts (3 losses, 2 draws) and not in a competitive match since the '96 Gold Cup. Just to give you an idea how long that is, the winning goal in that game was scored by Kevin Holness who, incidentally, scored a brace. Recent games against Honduras have been among the most frustrating experiences I have ever had watching the Canadian team. There is almost a palpable feeling of foreboding during the games where I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop - more often than not, this manifests itself as a Honduran player laying prone in the penalty area with one arm raised pleading to the ref with tears in his eyes while I simultaneously find the nearest heavy object to thow across the room. For the sake of the collective sanity of every Canadian fan we simply cannot lose this game. The last competitive fixture for the next two years cannot be a loss to the B-Squad of the team that shattered our World Cup hopes. It is an unspeakable blasphemy which should not even be considered.

EPIC paragraph. :D

quote:Originally posted by Macksam

Anything less than a three goal victory will be a dissapointment in my eyes.

Since about 1999. Anyhow, I say this because Honduras only have about two starters, while we have a team that is still fiarly good.

quote:Originally posted by Lord Bob

Think I might put ten bucks on the Hondos. Those are some odds, and even if we lose, I'd win!

Not necessarily. Honduras could win in extra-time or PKs. ;)

Although I'm seeing quite different odds. I use BWIN and they have

Canada 2.65 Draw 3.15 Honduras 2.45

Archived