GC - July 18th - Canada vs. Honduras

jpg75

What makes this all worse is the reaction of Whats-his-face after he scored the penalty. You've cheated your way to a penalty, then you go and kiss your flag to show just what your country's all about. If Canada were ever gifted a penalty (I know, you'll have to really use your imagination), I'm sure whoever were to take the penalty (and score) would not make much of a celebration. He would feel slightly embarrassed by the whole thing.

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Celebration aside, what I hate the most of this is that many of the major countries in CONCACAF after Mexico and (perhaps) the U.S. are capable of beating us straight up if they play their best game. What's missing from this is that CONCACAF won't acknowledge that the Honduras & Guatemalas of the confederation can "possibly" lose to us when the chips are down (since 2000 anyway).

The game of soccer on this continent could become incredible if CONCACAF stepped out of the way.

someone needs to relay to Jack Warner that his incompetance in running a respectable confederation reflects poorly on his mother.

edit: if he thinks he's doing a great job he's either a sociopath or his mom either hit him too much or not enough

I am getting sick of all this ref whinning. Yes a very odd call. However Hondurus has been doing a great job shutting us down also. We haven't even got a decent chance since the beginning of the second half. DeGuzman is doing the little things right but otherwise we have no dribbling, very uncreative passes and no urgency (we take forever to take our corner kicks even, we dont have time). Hondurus defense has been effectively stopping us all game.

quote:Originally posted by Vancouversoccerman

He managed to get a very nice FIFA-funded soccer facility built in T&T. My guess is his mother isn't too concerned...

heh, I don't imagine she would be, I'm talking about other people wondering who could have raised the incompetant twat, she probably thinks he's great like most moms.

quote:Originally posted by puskas

I am getting sick of all this ref whinning. Yes a very odd call. However Hondurus has been doing a great job shutting us down also. We haven't even got a decent chance since the beginning of the second half. DeGuzman is doing the little things right but otherwise we have no dribbling, very uncreative passes and no urgency (we take forever to take our corner kicks even, we dont have time). Hondurus defense has been effectively stopping us all game.

No doubt, Puskas...Honduras has shut us down very well...0-0 would be a fair account of what's happened so far this game.

In fairness though, no one is dwelling on ONE call made in THIS game. We're dwelling on a historic pattern of calls that have come at Canada's expense too many opportune times to be called accidental.

You do have to wonder a bit though, I'd like to see how many euro cup qualifiers and matches, and european world cup qualifiers have this many bad calls, they probably have a few, but they also have like 3 times as many games to play, even when were hearing of other CONCACAF teams, how often do you hear them suffering from terrible calls, all the friggen time. I would seriously like to know how often each confederation produces contreversial results because here it seems to happen like every third bloody game ( you can make a mistake but how many goal mistakes are they gonna let happen before they realize it looks amatuerish)

Yeah but even at 0-0, we were kept to keep possession outside the danger areas while Hondurus was able to get it to some dangerous spots on the counter attack fairly easily. I think this has been a tail so far of solid defending by the back players of Hondurus and Canada's defense not matching them when needed. Hondurus gets to chances far easier, even at 0-0.

Go watch tapes from European Championships in 2000, there were absolutely brutual calls there too. Way worse than here today. It happens everywhere.

one, I wasn't really expecting anyone to go back more then 5 years (you couldn't call a confederation amateurish based on calls nearly a decade ago), and two I reiterate, they play far more games, how often do game changing calls (ie a real contreversy, I don't mean losing 3-1 and one of their 3 goals was BS) occur, probably less frequently even if they seemed a little more common, think the last Gold Cup, pretty much every win for the americans was contreversial.

Archived