2023 World Cup General Match Thread

Infantino: FIFA Won't Directly Distribute Women's World Cup Prize Money to Players | News, Scores, Highlights, Stats, and Rumors | Bleacher Report

Quote: "Even though FIFA previously confirmed payments of at least $30,000 to all of the players in the 2023 Women's World Cup, FIFA won't actually be the one distributing the money.
Speaking to reporters on Tuesday, FIFA president Gianni Infantino said the money will be distributed to federations that will be in charge of paying it out to players
."

Quote #2: "During an address to the FIFA Congress in March, Infantino said the total prize money for the 2023 Women's World Cup is a record-$150 million, with $42 million of that being allocated as preparation money for clubs whose players are participating in the tournament"

Edited by Free kick

Watching NZ-Norway right now, and seriously thought the Norwegians would run over them. But so far NZ is playing with a fair bit of football sense, they seem prepared, though both teams are a bit nervous.

For me, with 32 teams, there being no terrible blowouts apart from maybe that US-Vietnam is important for the integrity of the game. 

Why don't we do a separate thread for the politics, all the non-match chat?

I suppose few are watching. NZ is bossing them and playing very well, with really nice technical ability to hold up and keep possession, up 1-0 and still pressuring and attacking, Norway not going much of anywhere. Riley, Percival, Steinmetz with real calm in the controlling mid, Wilkinson dangerous up top, a lot of very nice pieces for New Zealand. And excellent coaching.

it is a bit depressing to see how some traditional powerhouses are locked into very classic ways of playing the game, they have not advanced in decades, really. There are clubs like this too, playing a very archaic game. Norway has no midfield play at all. They just go through the motions. 

I think we have to be careful against Australia, playing a host is an intangile, we are going to have to be ready for that push and maybe ensure we get through the group against the other opponents.

Norway never showed up to compete.  Ada Hegerberg tried her best but she too didn't show up.  New Zealand made them look bad and had they had better forwards they could have scored more goals.  In the second game was nice to see Ireland making Australia look struggling without Kerr.  Only Carpenter was saving the game.

Spain has started its group stage at Qatar and the WWC against Costa Rica both times, for a combined score of 10-0. 

Yes, I'm a Spain fan. But I am also a fan of one of the only teams that will play positional possession football, with multiple attacking options, and break down a rival like elite men's teams do in the present day.

I'm not sure what to think about this game.  Kudos to Viet Nam for holding the USA to two goals in the first half, but that second goal was shockingly bad goalkeeping.  It took real work for the keeper to get out of the way of the shot.  Oh well.