2023 World Cup General Match Thread

9 minutes ago, The Ref said:

And they never will.  Too many names but nothing else.  All the public on the stadium was against them. 

I didn't watch because there was this Messi thing, but glad they did not run up the score. Were they really struggling to break through or how was it?

I am in fact glad that Philippines, Vietnam, they are all taking a step up, that is great for the women's game. 

2 hours ago, Jack1997 said:

Ever since VAR was introduced across world football they’ve gone up like crazy because every small foul and handball is seen, It’s one of my biggest complaints with VAR but it is the right thing to do.

The VAR trying to be fair creates inconsistency by sanctioning some piddling things while some fouls outside the box go uncalled or called the wrong way.  Fifa argues that the final decision rests with the referee on the pitch, however no referee would dare go against all the people in the VAR room.

The VAR and consequently the Venezuelan referee hurt Haiti.  What's next.  Will Fifa require electric sensor on the sole of the shoes of goalkeepers to see electronically when the shoe left the ground measured against another sensor on the ball to compare the time of the kick.  To me the VAR just serves to generate mushroom treatment.

10 hours ago, narduch said:

Am I crazy or have there been a lot of PK goals?

There has been a pk called in every match so far ex DEN/CHI which was overseen by Canadian/CPL ref Marie Soleil-Beaudoin. VAR was involved in half of them. 

But half the pks have been missed. Half made were retaken pks due to keeper coming off the line early.

Edited by red card

One thing confused me:

The first yellow card to Zambia’s goal keeper was after the off side play of Japanese forward. That yellow card should be revoked, no?

Apparently it’s not, because she was sent off at end of second half by a second yellow which was leading to a red eventually. I know it won’t affect the final outcome of the game. But still……

10 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

Sweden definitely looked good against South Africa and Netherlands looked just as effective against Portugal 

South Africa looked good against Sweden, in fact they were leading scoring first.  Did not see the Portugal game.

Netherlands - Portugal - Portugal were pretty awful in the 1st half, seemed like they were out of their element.  The Netherlands early no-goal / overturned by VAR goal didn't help.  Thought they were much better in the second half when they were able to use their wingers more, but the Dutch were cruising and seemed to be content to hold on to a 1-0 scoreline and were really in control the whole game.

All 8 debutants didn't score and lost their first match. Unfortunately for Canada, Ireland looked the most competitive.

Haiti did scare England a bit while Portugal kept it close, they didn't threaten to draw the Dutch.

Philippines held on better than expected vs the Swiss while Vietnam was more tactically astute than expected.

Zambia, Morocco & Panama were outclassed and played naively. 

Also, penalties overload in first 8 matches. None in the past 6.

Edited by red card

Philippines 1-0 over NZ.  McDaniel, the Philippines keeper was outstanding in their first game loss to the Swiss, and was the difference tonight.  Football Ferns couldn't handle the pressure, were constantly making the wrong decision, but still had so many chances.  Could possibly have 4 teams on 3 points after 2 group games later tonight.  Heartbreaking but exciting!

That VAR call disallowing the NZ equalizer for “offside” is exactly what I don’t want to see VAR used for. It should be clear and obvious that the player was ahead of the defender and gained some advantage from being so, not offside because two threads of the jersey on the upper shoulder is ahead of the defender. If FIFA wants to keep goal scoring down like this you might as well start allowing back passes to the keeper again.