Match Thread: World Cup Group B - Matchday 1 - Nigeria v Canada - July 20, 2023 - 10:30pm ET / 7:30pm PT / 12:30pm local time (July 21)

Oshoala is the leading Nigeria striker and she's been Africa player of the year, the rest of the team is solid and almost all are on good pro teams, not top tier though. 

Oshoala I've watched a lot at Barça, for years. She is explosive and can catch you off guard, but we should not have that problem. She's fast but not technical. She does not have a good first touch, can be sloppy technically in fact, and does not have a very high football IQ. She plays alone and will often mess up easy plays, assists, controls, that would make her even more dangerous. Her goal scoring in Spain is largely beefed up against the weaker teams. As Nigeria is not a high-level technical team, they can't support her and will likely ask her to do everything. 

I don't want to downplay Nigeria, I expect them to match us for intensity, but we are definitely the favourites, and just need to be patient to break them down to impose ourselves.

Sam Kerr if she plays against Canada 🇨🇦 in the final group game then that should definitely make things interesting because as far as the Women's game...she's one of the best strikers in the world and you wanna play against the best

Edited by TGAA_Star

1 minute ago, narduch said:

If Australia has 2 wins leading up to our match they may not rush Kerr back

Unless Australia loses against Nigeria or draws with them but either way Australia as one of the hosts they look solid as a team. Tough to break down defensively.

6 hours ago, narduch said:

If Australia has 2 wins leading up to our match they may not rush Kerr back

They will no doubt want to avoid England in the round of 16. So if they need a result they will probably do whatever they think gives them an edge.

Edited by Kent
Grammar

Checked this morning when I woke up, and I wasn't able to restart the game that was in progress from the beginning on the TSN app. They also didn't have the earlier game available for replay yet which would have been done for nearly 2 hours at that point. That's disappointing since I have my own game tonight that overlaps with the Canada vs Nigeria game, so it looks like I won't be able to watch it once I get home. I'll have to wait until tomorrow to watch it once the replay is available.

6 minutes ago, Kent said:

Checked this morning when I woke up, and I wasn't able to restart the game that was in progress from the beginning on the TSN app. They also didn't have the earlier game available for replay yet which would have been done for nearly 2 hours at that point. That's disappointing since I have my own game tonight that overlaps with the Canada vs Nigeria game, so it looks like I won't be able to watch it once I get home. I'll have to wait until tomorrow to watch it once the replay is available.

Yeah it sucks because of the time differences like think Korea/Japan 2002 for the Men...you either have to stay up late or wake up super early just to watch games

Canada can't afford to lose or even draw with Nigeria tonight especially given that Ireland were a pretty tough team to play against even though they lost to co hosts Australia. We know what Australia can do with Kerr or even without her, they still managed to beat Ireland. But we don't get Australia until the last group game but even so we have to worry about ourselves. Meaning our women have to get the job done tonight against Nigeria 🇳🇬 that is key especially if we want to get to the Round of 16. This isn't 24 teams anymore. It is 32 teams meaning you can't finish 3rd anymore. If you do, you're eliminated. Period. Which means it is going to be all the more harder to go all the way much less winning it all. But in order to win this Women's World Cup, we have to beat the best. Our journey starts tonight.

4 minutes ago, Jack1997 said:

Am I the only one who is never impressed with Sinclair anymore and doesn’t think she should be starting?

Shhh she's a legend. She does what she wants.

Seeing her in the middle reminds me of Rooneys career when he started to slow down. 

7 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Fox feed is about 10 seconds behind the TSN feed for anyone who is allergic to either Wileman or Walsh

Now thats a novelty.   It must be the cable provider who is doing that,  trying to push viewers to the local stations (in this case TSN).   Usually Rogers SN is notorious for being behind on their feed.

Edited by Free kick