Match Thread: World Cup Group B - Matchday 1 - Nigeria v Canada - July 20, 2023 - 10:30pm ET / 7:30pm PT / 12:30pm local time (July 21)

I thought they started to lose the midfield battle as the half wore on. Sinclair is no help defensively while she is also over hitting every long pass. 

sounds like someone took the Mike out of Lyndsey Hamilton’s hands. Karina Leblanc is on the Fox halftime show where Alexei Lalas says Quinn should have seen red. The US play by play we’re consistently referring to Quinn as “she” and “her” incidentally 

3 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

“Melbourne Rectangular Stadium” has to be the most unexciting name I have heard in a long time.  

Built, I think, particularly for football, not other ports, and looks like they couldnt get a sponsor name, so I'm good with it.

Not huge round ovals like the other popular sports stadiums for Cricket, aussie rules and rugby! If Canada loved cricket, it would be called Toronto Oval Stadium. 

Edited by beachesl

6 minutes ago, beachesl said:

Built, I think, particularly for football, not other ports, and looks like they couldnt get a sponsor name, so I'm good with it.

Not huge round ovals like the other popular sports stadiums for Cricket, aussie rules and rugby! If Canada loved cricket, it would be called Toronto Oval Stadium. 

I assumed "Rectangular" was the Aussie version of Home Depot.  Don't they call houses "Big Rectangles"?

1 minute ago, El Hombre said:

My guess is that Sinclair was the sentimental choice for that one.  Probably something about scoring in X World Cups or something like that.  Unfortunately with the way she's playing, she might not get another chance.

100% the rationale. But as the commentators said, if Fleming was on the field she would have taken it.