Class of 2008

MM3/MM2/MM

21 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Trouble is the field is water logged and the ball is not moving normally

Yeah, that's definitely not helping but they both struggled last game too.  I don't want to rag on 15 year-olds but it's just not a tool in their toolbox (yet).  Chukwu is comfortable but because he's playing out on the left, he doesn't get as many touches as I'm sure they would want.

incomparablyme GIF

Kid looked good after he came on. 

After complaining about the slavish reliance on playing out of the back, we almost gifted them the equalizer less than a minute into the half.  Gotta be able to mix it up a bit - and in fairness they jumped it up the files a few times later in the half. 

Two games, two wins.  Good start to the tourney.   Will be interesting to see the other groups when the dust settles and what we need to do (to secure first spot).   With 35 minutes halves and a slow pace of play in the first game, the boys shouldn’t be too battered.  We also used lots of bench guys so they should be in good shape against Panama.  

10 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

Yeah, that's definitely not helping but they both struggled last game too.  I don't want to rag on 15 year-olds but it's just not a tool in their toolbox (yet).  Chukwu is comfortable but because he's playing out on the left, he doesn't get as many touches as I'm sure they would want.

Agree re their ability on the ball. I'm scratching my head as to why Chukwu isn't playing more centrally at CB. 

After 2 games, Khan & Gayapersad look like the most technical players on the ball. Grady McD has good size & speed. Judelson & Sadek look decent in midfield. I hope the coaches shift Chukwu into the middle or as a central CB because the other 2 CBs are shaky. If the field was in better condition the score would have been much higher. The better teams are going to really press our CBs if we insist on playing out from the back all the time. Hope they mix it up a bit  

15 hours ago, Kadenge said:

@Unnamed Trialist we have a player in our U15 team that is with CF Damm. I see that it is based in Barcelona. Can you provide any insight re the quality of the club's academy. He's been impressive in our last 2 games. Very good on the ball. 

Did not realise that, just looked, Andre Ali-Gayapersad. He must have a European passport or parents living in Spain. I see he regularly started with his club this past season and scored 5 in nearly 30 appearances.

https://www.fcf.cat/acta/2223/futbol-11/preferent-cadet/grup-4/pc/damm-cf-b/pc/lhospitalet-centre-esports-a

That was the team last season, the CF Damm u-16 B team. Run through the foundation of the beer company Estrella Damm and around since the 1950s, it is an only-youth academy, kids have to find another place to play after u-19 ends. Probably the best in Spain of its kind, has produced many pros and players are regularly recruited by the top Liga club academies, especially in Catalonia. Now it is starting to produce quality female youth. They also regularly feature on Spain youth NT rosters. Maybe the best known now active is Gerard Moreno the Villareal striker.

They used to have rather basic turf field in the upper reaches of the city, now they are doing a new stadium and facility on Montjuic, with a swim club by the same name up that mountain, near the Olympic stadium (I live nearby). It was supposed to open this year. Here's an article in English related:

https://johancruyffinstitute.com/en/latest-news/the-sports-city-of-fundacion-damm/

CF Damm is probably right now the fourth or fifth best academy for development in Catalonia.

The CF Damm u-16 A team is in the top national division, and I see they are listing him on the roster for the A, with only 13 others so far (the roster is clearly not complete yet). That is a high accomplishment, they could have dropped him as they probably did with a few of his B teammates. It would put him into an elite level of play this year.

Really surprised, if someone can tell me where he's from or how he got onto the Damm team, I'd appreciate it.

Edit: here's the registered Cadet A (u16) roster with the Catalan federation, their season starts in mid September

https://www.fcf.cat/equip/2324/hc/damm-cf-a

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

29 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Win or a draw puts us in first place.  Anyone know who we would be against (not country, but group and position) depending on if we get first or second?   The CONCACAF site just says TBC.  

Found this: https://stconcacafwp001.blob.core.windows.net/media/2tanxg5l/bu15c-2023-match-schedule-v4.pdf

So I believe, if I’m reading it correctly, winner of our Group (C) plays 2nd place in Group B (USA’s group), 2nd plays 1st in that group. 

Edit: looked at their group, and looks like US and Haiti are locked in as moving on. So one of them two. 

Edited by Borjans Sweatpants

9 minutes ago, Borjans Sweatpants said:

Found this: https://stconcacafwp001.blob.core.windows.net/media/2tanxg5l/bu15c-2023-match-schedule-v4.pdf

So I believe, if I’m reading it correctly, winner of our Group (C) plays 2nd place in Group B (USA’s group), 2nd plays 1st in that group. 

Edit: looked at their group, and looks like US and Haiti are locked in as moving on. So one of them two. 

ALERT: lots of obvious statements to follow. 

Based on the score lines (US 10 - Cuba 0, Haiti 3 - Cuba 1) it seems like the US are unsurprising favourites to top their group since they have 6 points and play Haiti in their final game.   We will definitely want to top our group and avoid them in the next round.   Seems like going all-out against Panama is a must - no chance to rest guys tomorrow.  

15 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

ALERT: lots of obvious statements to follow. 

Based on the score lines (US 10 - Cuba 0, Haiti 3 - Cuba 1) it seems like the US are unsurprising favourites to top their group since they have 6 points and play Haiti in their final game.   We will definitely want to top our group and avoid them in the next round.   Seems like going all-out against Panama is a must - no chance to rest guys tomorrow.  

Agreed, but even still we’ll play them in the next round (and next day, Friday). 

I feel like we’ve looked good, but no idea how we would compare to the US. So I hope we do get to go against them on Friday. 

Only saw the second half of the game but I wasn’t too pleased with the teams shape. I get throwing kids together for a week isn’t going to build continuity but the kids, especially in the middle of the field, were too spread out and unable to offer support for the ball. Need to tighten up going forward or will have to rely on boot and run.