League One Teams Qualified for 2023 Voyageurs Cup

FC Laval has qualified from Québec, and Vaughan Azzuri from L1 Ontario.

For the PLSQ team, this is the first time they'll be in the Canadian Championship.

Vaughan has represented Ontario 1  time before, in 2019.

https://www.league1ontario.com/news_article/show/1238079

Apparently the new BC L1 champ will not represent the province/league in the Voyageurs Cup next year, for reasons related to the length of the season, along perhaps with the newness of the league itself.

18 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Apparently the new BC L1 champ will not represent the province/league in the Voyageurs Cup next year, for reasons related to the length of the season, along perhaps with the newness of the league itself.

I'm disappointed about this and looking forward to seeing an L1BC rep next time.

With the Voyageurs Cup becoming a tournament that only occurs from early May until early July (to make the MLS teams happy due to the Leagues Cup) there is no excuse for the CSA to not allow the BC League 1 champs in.

Hell I would invite the PDL/USL League 2 teams as well (believe there are only 2 left anyways).

On 10/7/2022 at 10:11 AM, narduch said:

With the Voyageurs Cup becoming a tournament that only occurs from early May until early July (to make the MLS teams happy due to the Leagues Cup) there is no excuse for the CSA to not allow the BC League 1 champs in.

Hell I would invite the PDL/USL League 2 teams as well (believe there are only 2 left anyways).

I feel like if they ever decide to include the USL teams they should have to go through some sort of qualifying with the L1O/L1BC/PLSQ teams. Bad optics to say if you are in the American pyramid you are automatically good enough, but in the Canadian system you have to win your league to prove you are good enough.

The other way for it to happen would be to let the USL teams in but also all of the tier 3 teams in Canada as well.

12 minutes ago, Kent said:

I feel like if they ever decide to include the USL teams they should have to go through some sort of qualifying with the L1O/L1BC/PLSQ teams. Bad optics to say if you are in the American pyramid you are automatically good enough, but in the Canadian system you have to win your league to prove you are good enough.

The other way for it to happen would be to let the USL teams in but also all of the tier 3 teams in Canada as well.

In a perfect world all those teams would be in.

I thought in the past the L1O teams said they weren't all interested or had the money to enter

1 hour ago, narduch said:

I thought in the past the L1O teams said they weren't all interested or had the money to enter

Correct.  But I do think the tournament should be open to all L1 teams (BC, Ontario, Quebec) that want to enter.  Regional early qualifying rounds (like all other Cup competitions) getting the the number down to 1 team from each league entering a round with the CPL/MLS sides.

On 10/8/2022 at 12:54 PM, Watchmen said:

Correct.  But I do think the tournament should be open to all L1 teams (BC, Ontario, Quebec) that want to enter.  Regional early qualifying rounds (like all other Cup competitions) getting the the number down to 1 team from each league entering a round with the CPL/MLS sides.

If you look at the US Open Cup where in the early rounds including USL L2, NPSL, local qualifiers etc., it's all pretty narrow scoped regional draws. A 16 team V-Cup for instance would be the 9 CPL (depending on EDM's status), 3 MLS, the three D3 champions and a 16th team. The 16th team could be a second L1O team or even the Challenge Cup winner, which would obviously need some sort of travel subsidy. You basically would have to put the teams into four regional pools. 

16 minutes ago, Cblake said:

If you look at the US Open Cup where in the early rounds including USL L2, NPSL, local qualifiers etc., it's all pretty narrow scoped regional draws. A 16 team V-Cup for instance would be the 9 CPL (depending on EDM's status), 3 MLS, the three D3 champions and a 16th team. The 16th team could be a second L1O team or even the Challenge Cup winner, which would obviously need some sort of travel subsidy. You basically would have to put the teams into four regional pools. 

Sure, but rather than say "the three D3 champions qualify", you could say "3 teams from D3 qualify for this round", and let as many as want to enter at an earlier stage.  At that earlier stage is regional, based on the 3 leagues.

8 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Sure, but rather than say "the three D3 champions qualify", you could say "3 teams from D3 qualify for this round", and let as many as want to enter at an earlier stage.  At that earlier stage is regional, based on the 3 leagues.

That's exactly what we have now except we call the qualification this L1O, PLSQ, and L1BC regular seasons.  :)

12 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Easier to do in BC maybe where the sport can be played year round.

11 hours ago, Kingston said:

That's exactly what we have now except we call the qualification this L1O, PLSQ, and L1BC regular seasons.  :)

Except you don't get to call it "Voyageurs Cup games" or market that you're in the Canadian Championship. And I think that matters.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/23/2022 at 5:20 PM, rydermike said:

The thing with the League1 teams is that sometimes they don't have their full rosters at the beginning of the season because they're coming back from NCAA. So these early qualifying rounds don't end up working because the "best teams" won't win. 

We could get into this. It is true what you are saying, but look at qualification for European football in Europe: there are early rounds starting in July even, well before the seasons of many teams start. Well before, months before the summer transfer window ends. Literally dozens of teams are made to jump start with squads that may have little to do with what they'll have in September when their leagues are under way.

Just saying this, though I realise with an amateur club it is different still. 

My feeling is we need to encourage the participation as broadly as possible, and then try to adjust the schedule as best as possible. 

There is really no reason why the Voyageurs Cup could not be played over a longer period, such as into September. Allowing for a later start in spring.

What I would like as a way to get more teams in (without inviting every L1C team) would be to reward and incentivize the cup competitions. The PLSQ has the Coupe PLSQ and L1O is reintroducing the L1O Cup. I would have both those winners earn entry into the tournament. L1BC could stay at one entrant for now until they get more teams (Maybe under 12 teams you get one entry, over 12 you get two)

If FCE folds, that gives you a round 16 teams with no byes. If they stay and when more CPL teams enter, the L1C teams can maybe play each other in a "qualifying round" like years past

4 hours ago, rydermike said:

What I would like as a way to get more teams in (without inviting every L1C team) would be to reward and incentivize the cup competitions. The PLSQ has the Coupe PLSQ and L1O is reintroducing the L1O Cup. I would have both those winners earn entry into the tournament. L1BC could stay at one entrant for now until they get more teams (Maybe under 12 teams you get one entry, over 12 you get two)

If FCE folds, that gives you a round 16 teams with no byes. If they stay and when more CPL teams enter, the L1C teams can maybe play each other in a "qualifying round" like years past

I would love to see a 16 team, four-round tournament. You would put the teams into four regional pots and draw them that way. If Edmonton does play in 2023, that will give you 15 teams. The easiest way to get 16 right now be a 2nd L1O entry. It would be great to have say the Thunder Bay Chill and FC Manitoba, both of USL League 2 somehow being able to qualify. Maybe have them play a qualifier for the 16th spot. 

15 hours ago, narduch said:

Vancouver as holder gets the bye, the rest play the round of 16 in seven ties, leaving you with 8 left for quarters. We tend to do regional match-ups for the L1 teams.

All credit and kudos to the head of League One, Dino Rossi, to the CSA, to the board at TSS Rovers, to the BCSA. I think it has to go all around, this is a great step and any excuses that were out there were not hard to overcome. 

Another thing: TSS plays at Swangard, so that is going to mean some interesting gates if they end up playing at home. In any case, look at that BC cluster for the next Voyageurs Cup: Whitecaps, TSS, Vancouver FC, Pacific, all in a crow flies radius of less than 100km.

Also: hell of an incentive for L1BC going into 2023.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

16 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Vancouver as holder gets the bye, the rest play the round of 16 in seven ties, leaving you with 8 left for quarters. We tend to do regional match-ups for the L1 teams.

All credit and kudos to the head of League One, Dino Rossi, to the CSA, to the board at TSS Rovers, to the BCSA. I think it has to go all around, this is a great step and any excuses that were out there were not hard to overcome. 

Another thing: TSS plays at Swangard, so that is going to mean some interesting gates if they end up playing at home. In any case, look at that BC cluster for the next Voyageurs Cup: Whitecaps, TSS, Vancouver FC, Pacific, all in a crow flies radius of less than 100km.

Also: hell of an incentive for L1BC going into 2023.

Unfortunately it looks like the 3 MLS clubs have pressured the CSA to only have to enter the tournament in the quarter finals