League One Teams Qualified for 2023 Voyageurs Cup

21 minutes ago, rydermike said:

Whitecaps entered in the Round of 16 this year. Why would it be any different next year with MLS teams. If they entered in R16 this year, why wouldn't they next year?

Thanks for the correction. 

I hope they do the right thing and no team enters before the round of 16 moving forward 

Edited by narduch

You could argue the season was shorter this year; but next year the season will be interrupted by the Gold Cup. 

At some point, with an expanding Voyaguers' Cup field, you are going to have to play more games. After all, 4 matches to win a trophy and get access to a Concacaf competition is not excessive.

If they still insist, you get a situation where you'd have to knock 12 teams down to five to add to the 3 MLS clubs for quarter finals. You do a previous knockout of the L1s and Vancouver FC as the new club, leaving you with 10, then the remaining 10 do a round, leaving you with the five you need. Problem with that: it is not attractive for L1 teams to not get a shot at CPL/MLS sides and have to play each other.

And if Edmonton doesn't survive, you can do the same thing but also give a bye for this year's finalist, TFC. So VWFC and TFC straight to quarter finals, and the other 12 teams play each other to see which 6 make it to the quarters. Much better with Edmonton though, I'd rather limit the number of teams that get byes, and honestly I would be very happy with nobody getting a bye, and there being a playoff between 2nd place L1 teams to see which ones can pad the numbers to 16 (so either 1 or 2 teams advancing from L1C on top of the 3 champions that have already qualified, depending on Edmonton's status).

If we're forced to have a bye in the first round it makes logical sense that it would be given to the previous winner.

In an ideal world I think we're looking at a future Voyageurs with further qualification rounds featuring the Premier Division L1O, PLSQ, and L1BC teams in the future, or perhaps just the playoff teams of those leagues, although i'm not sure how the scheduling would work for them. I know there's challenges revolving around the Challenge Trophy winning teams as well.

I would love to see a 40 team VCup at some point. It would go like this in terms of teams playing in each round. This was the format of the US Open Cup until they opened it up to all pro teams and a number of amateur teams. The top 8 teams would get byes to the 3rd round. This would be the top 5 CPL teams and the three MLS teams. I would be surprised if Canada ever had more than say 20 pro teams as we have 12 as now today. The Premier Division of L10 is going to be 12 teams as of 2024. How you get to 40 is something that would have to be figured out. 

32-16-16-8-4-2

On 11/4/2022 at 7:32 PM, Cblake said:

I would love to see a 40 team VCup at some point. It would go like this in terms of teams playing in each round. This was the format of the US Open Cup until they opened it up to all pro teams and a number of amateur teams. The top 8 teams would get byes to the 3rd round. This would be the top 5 CPL teams and the three MLS teams. I would be surprised if Canada ever had more than say 20 pro teams as we have 12 as now today. The Premier Division of L10 is going to be 12 teams as of 2024. How you get to 40 is something that would have to be figured out. 

32-16-16-8-4-2

If we were to do that, instead of the 5+3 CPL+MLS split, I would suggest the 8 quarter finalists from the previous year get the byes. I'm not a fan that prioritizes MLS over CPL by rule, since on paper they are both considered D1. Those byes should be earned on the field.

Edited by Kent
Clarifying.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/4/2022 at 7:32 PM, Cblake said:

32-16-16-8-4-2

Ideally, any club that wants to enter the Voyageurs Cup should be able to do so. In BC, that would mean starting with a couple rounds of VMSL, FVSL and VISL top-flight clubs battling it out; then add the L1BC clubs and play a couple more rounds; then add the CPL clubs; and finally, the Whitecaps. Travel costs for any clubs that make it beyond provincial play would hopefully be at least partially subsidized by the CSA, along with financial awards for winning in each round.

There are other logistical challenges, such as short-season clubs/leagues, but that seems a poor excuse to leave us with an anemic national cup competition.

On 11/22/2022 at 10:06 PM, Blue and White Army said:

Ideally, any club that wants to enter the Voyageurs Cup should be able to do so. In BC, that would mean starting with a couple rounds of VMSL, FVSL and VISL top-flight clubs battling it out; then add the L1BC clubs and play a couple more rounds; then add the CPL clubs; and finally, the Whitecaps. Travel costs for any clubs that make it beyond provincial play would hopefully be at least partially subsidized by the CSA, along with financial awards for winning in each round.

There are other logistical challenges, such as short-season clubs/leagues, but that seems a poor excuse to leave us with an anemic national cup competition.

I agree too. Thing is, too many teams are not even set up in April, they are just getting going. So you can't really do too many extra rounds previously.

There's another thing: we asked the L1 president last summer, and he said no funding is given to L1 teams for V-Cup travel. Which surprised me, it must be expensive. I can hardly believe it, and don't agree with it. There could be incurred costs early in a season that a club may not want to deal with.

I would be in favour of qualifying as do now, but extend it. For example, qualify another L1 team from each existing system. Then, include the Challenge Trophy winner. Go down another tier, and then the Challenge Trophy competition has that incentive, a Voyageurs Cup match the next spring.