Who are your 26? (Going to Qatar)

5 hours ago, red card said:

As posted in the General News thread, Deschamps had a pithy quote about this:

Winning the World Cup is easier with 23 players than 26.

https://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/34641973

Maybe, but it seems silly to bring less than you are able to.  It reminds me of Canada's hockey team at the 2002 Olympics.  In the first game, they scratched Ed Jovanovski, even though they were allowed to dress him as roster limits were larger than NHL games.  It was figured that it was easier to coach with the same number of players they were used to.  They dressed everyone the next game.  

• 3 weeks later...

My updated 26 man squad of players who I would take on the plane to Qatar if I'm John Herdman and our coaching staff:

GK- Milan Borjan, Maxime Crepeau and Dayne St Clair (3 goalkeepers)

LB- Samuel Adekugbe (1 left back)

CB- Steven Vitoria, Kamal Miller, Joel Waterman, Scott Kennedy and Derek Cornelius (5 center backs)

RB- Alistair Johnston and Richie Laryea (2 right backs)

DM- Stephen Eustaquio, Atiba Hutchinson and Samuel Piette (3 defensive midfielders)

CM- Jonathan Osorio, Ismael Kone, David Wotherspoon and Mark Anthony Kaye (4 central midfielders)

Wingers- Alphonso Davies, Tajon Buchanan, Junior Hoilett and Liam Millar (4 wingers)

Strikers- Jonathan David, Ike Ugbo, Cyle Larin and Lucas Cavallini (4 strikers)

Which makes up my 26

Just revisting an old post and thought it was interesting.  On June 14 2022, Platt and KJ included these players in their World Cup 26 roster:

Doneil Henry CAN / Toronto FC
Raheem Edwards USA / LA Galaxy
Mark-Anthony Kaye CAN / Toronto FC
Jonathan Osorio CAN / Toronto FC
Liam Fraser BEL / Deinze
Luca Koleosho SPA / Espanyol

Their list excluded these players:
Charles-Andreas Brym NED / FC Eindhoven
Theo Corbeanu ENG / Blackpool FC
Derek Cornelius GRE / Panetolikos (On the Bubble)
Liam Millar SWI / FC Basel (Fringe Player)
Joel Waterman CAN / CF Montréal
David Wotherspoon SCO / St. Johnstone FC (27th Pick)

Since those four months, does anybody have any comments on how the landscape (and players) may have changed in regards to who will be selected?

1 hour ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Just revisting an old post and thought it was interesting.  On June 14 2022, Platt and KJ included these players in their World Cup 26 roster:

Liam Fraser BEL / Deinze

Since those four months, does anybody have any comments on how the landscape (and players) may have changed in regards to who will be selected?

It has definitely changed because Cornelius, Millar, Waterman and Wotherspoon will be selected

GK

Borjan, Crepeau, St Claire

DF

Vitoria, Miller, Cornelius, Kennedy, Waterman, Johnston, Adekugbe, Laryea

MID

Eustaquio, Piette, Kone, MAK, Wotherspoon, Arfield 

FWD

Tajon, Davies, David, Millar, Ugbo, Corbeanu, Hoilett 

CF

Larin, Cavallini 

I feel bad saying it but I don't see Osorio and Atiba there. I see Atiba doing the Beckham in South Africa thing and unfortunately if Osorio didn't Find a way to play down the stretch it must be something serious 

Edited by SpursFlu

Question related to this: does FIFA allow teams to name reserve players that can be brought in after the roster is announced? For injuries, for example, in the lead up to the first match? And until what moment can they be brought in?

You'd think at minimum if a keeper went down you'd be able to call in another to cover, as the rules stipulate you must have 3 keepers.

But for outfield players as well? 

7 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Question related to this: does FIFA allow teams to name reserve players that can be brought in after the roster is announced? For injuries, for example, in the lead up to the first match? And until what moment can they be brought in?

You'd think at minimum if a keeper went down you'd be able to call in another to cover, as the rules stipulate you must have 3 keepers.

But for outfield players as well? 

The 55-man preliminary  roster has to have 4 keepers on it. It's from that 55-man roster that the final 26-man squad must be pulled, and FIFA allows injury substitutions up to 24 hours prior to a country's first match.

Just now, RS said:

The 55-man preliminary  roster has to have 4 keepers on it. It's from that 55-man roster that the final 26-man squad must be pulled, and FIFA allows injury substitutions up to 24 hours prior to a country's first match.

Thanks. So that 55 -man roster is going to be interesting. Maybe that deserves a thread.

Also: I don't think you have to fill the 55, so we could see less. 

I felt that Leutwiler would be the man for 4th keeper, since he came to call-ups and showed committment during qualifying. But he hasn't been playing, don't think. If he'd just had a few more games he'd be the one, knowing Herdman.

6 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Thanks. So that 55 -man roster is going to be interesting. Maybe that deserves a thread.

Also: I don't think you have to fill the 55, so we could see less. 

I felt that Leutwiler would be the man for 4th keeper, since he came to call-ups and showed committment during qualifying. But he hasn't been playing, don't think. If he'd just had a few more games he'd be the one, knowing Herdman.

Teams don't have to fill the 55, you are correct. It has to be a minimum of 35 players, but it makes sense to name the maximum amount.

Preliminary rosters are due this Friday (Oct. 21).

On a similar note, FIFA has mandated 23-26 man squads for Qatar, meaning a team could call only 23 if they want to.

EDIT: I think Pantemis has the upper hand for that fourth GK spot on the preliminary squad, given his previous call-ups during early WCQ.

Edited by RS

8 minutes ago, RS said:

Teams don't have to fill the 55, you are correct. It has to be a minimum of 35 players, but it makes sense to name the maximum amount.

Preliminary rosters are due this Friday (Oct. 21).

On a similar note, FIFA has mandated 23-26 man squads for Qatar, meaning a team could call only 23 if they want to.

EDIT: I think Pantemis has the upper hand for that fourth GK spot on the preliminary squad, given his previous call-ups during early WCQ.

I actually do feel you need the three, as you never know. But usually that third is there to train the team high intensity, in the service of the prep, and be part of the group. And could be a question of personality, true. 

Spain took Pepe Reina to the WC in 2010 mostly because they say he had a great positive personality and energized the group. Then there was a little detail: he has very good stats stopping penalties.

I was going to make a post about how silly our roster could look with 55 names, given we are not very deep relative to other countries. However, as I put together my list I realized I was sadly mistaken. I originally had at least 6-7 CPL guys, but after overlooking a player here, another player there, I was able to compile 55 names without using a single player from the Canadian Premier League, and that's impressive because there are some very deserving guys playing there. You could easily go with a Pacius over a Ricketts (he's got brodcasting responsibilities, anyhow), or a Tabla over a L.Petrasso. Even as I write this I realize I overlooked Godinho (pretty decent season) and Ennin (not officially part of the pool, but we know he's been monitored), and lord knows who else I overlooked here.

Anyways, I guess the take-away is that Canada (despite being less deep than other teams) is far stronger and deeper than we've ever been. Yay for that! Can't wait for the list to come out (still looking forward to seeing Arfield listed this site subsequently crashing!) 

1. Borjan
  2. Crepeau
  3. St. Clair
  4. Vitoria
  5. Henry
  6. Johnston
  7. Miller
  8. Kennedy
  9. Cornelius
  10. Adekugbe
  11. Laryea
  12. Eustaquio
  13. Hutchinson
  14. Osorio
  15. Piette
  16. Kone
  17. Kaye
  18. Wotherspoon
  19. Davies
  20. Buchanan
  21. Hoilett
  22. Millar
  23. Ugbo
  24. David
  25. Larin
  26. Cavallini
  27. Pantemis
  28. Hasal
  29. Breza
  30. Waterman
  31. MacNaughton
  32. Brault-Guillard
  33. Abzi
  34. Edwards
  35. Gutierrez
  36. Marshall-Rutty
  37. Farsi
  38. Thompson
  39. Fraser
  40. Loturi
  41. Metcalfe
  42. Choniere
  43. Teibert
  44. Kerr
  45. Nelson
  46. Corbeanu
  47. Koleosho
  48. L.Petrasso
  49. Shaffelburg
  50. Brym
  51. Akinola
  52. Bair
  53. Russell-Rowe
  54. Ricketts
  55. Akindele

On 10/17/2022 at 3:59 AM, Joe MacCarthy said:

Liam Fraser BEL / Deinze

Fraser would be out.  Didn't get called up for this window and wasn't called up for another WCQ cycle this year.  I think that is telling.

Even with returning from injury, Kaye's form to finish the season was disconcerting and, like the other MLS guys (excluding a deep playoff run by Montreal), he doesn't have any more club action to find the groove.

On 10/18/2022 at 8:51 AM, BearcatSA said:

Fraser would be out.  Didn't get called up for this window and wasn't called up for another WCQ cycle this year.  I think that is telling.

Even with returning from injury, Kaye's form to finish the season was disconcerting and, like the other MLS guys (excluding a deep playoff run by Montreal), he doesn't have any more club action to find the groove.

This is the reason I am watching them closely a while back.

My Qatar 26-man Squad Prediction:

Goalkeepers:
1. Borjan
2. Crepeau
3. St. Clair

Defenders:
4. Vitoria 
5. Miller
6. Adekugbe 
7. Laryea 
8. Johnston
9. Edwards 
10. Kennedy
11. Corneilius 
12. Henry* (Waterman)

Midifielders:
13. Eustaqiuo 
14. Osorio* (Arfield)
15. Kone 
16. Piette
17. Huthchinson* (Wotherspoon)
18. Kaye

Forwards:
19. Davies
20. David
21. Larin
22. Hoilett
23. Cavallini
24. Buchanan
25. Ugbo
26. Corbeanu

If 2 of Osorio and Hutchinson are injured, I wouldn't be surprised to see Arfield return. As much as I've been against his glory and praise, it would really stupid to not figure things out with a depleted midfield. 

Edited by Shway

4 minutes ago, Shway said:

Goalkeepers:
1. Borjan
2. Crepeau
3. St. Clair

Defenders:
4. Vitoria 
5. Miller
6. Adekugbe 
7. Laryea 
8. Johnston
9. Edwards 
10. Kennedy
11. Corneilius 
12. Henry

Midifielders:
13. Eustaqiuo 
14. Osorio
15. Kone 
16. Piette
17. Huthchinson
18. Kaye

Forwards:
19. Davies
20. David
21. Larin
22. Hoilett
23. Cavallini
24. Buchanan
25. Ugbo
26. Corbeanu

For me

Really hate to do it to either but Waterman for Henry or Cornelius. Need a right foot in there. Maybe for Kennedy but he seems a lock.

Millar for Edwards.

Enough cover on the left, Laryea can switch over or if we are somehow protecting a lead, Davies can move back (shock horror at playing a world class left back in his position).

Millar offer something different than Corbeanu of the bench.

Hopefully the midfield is fit.

18 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

For me

Really hate to do it to either but Waterman for Henry or Cornelius. Need a right foot in there. Maybe for Kennedy but he seems a lock.

Millar for Edwards.

Enough cover on the left, Laryea can switch over or if we are somehow protecting a lead, Davies can move back (shock horror at playing a world class left back in his position).

Millar offer something different than Corbeanu of the bench.

Hopefully the midfield is fit.

Edwards would be cover for Adekugbe.

With all the defenders I rather go with the better attacker imo in Corbeanu. I think he’s more decisive going forward as a late option and don’t need the two-wayness that Millar brings over him because of the defensive options.

TBH I’m still trying to figure out what Millars best attributes are in the CMNT.

I don’t believe in two-way/guys who just get  up and down players at international levels. 

I get Waterman, but it would be hard to believe that we need a right footed CB that has never played in the squad. I don’t even think Henry will play, so Waterman would be a deep bench replacement.

On 10/21/2022 at 10:58 AM, Shway said:

Goalkeepers:
1. Borjan
2. Crepeau
3. St. Clair

Defenders:
4. Vitoria 
5. Miller
6. Adekugbe 
7. Laryea 
8. Johnston
9. Edwards 
10. Kennedy
11. Corneilius 
12. Henry* (Waterman)

Midifielders:
13. Eustaqiuo 
14. Osorio* (Arfield)
15. Kone 
16. Piette
17. Huthchinson* (Wotherspoon)
18. Kaye

Forwards:
19. Davies
20. David
21. Larin
22. Hoilett
23. Cavallini
24. Buchanan
25. Ugbo
26. Corbeanu

If 2 of Osorio and Hutchinson are injured, I wouldn't be surprised to see Arfield return. As much as I've been against his glory and praise, it would really stupid to not figure things out with a depleted midfield. 

Out of this 26 if Osorio is still injured, I would replace him with Wotherspoon 

• 3 weeks later...

But speculation on the final squad especially now after injuries and players' current form, as far as the 26 players Herdman takes to Qatar in 9 days:

Goalkeepers- Milan Borjan (1st choice), Dayne St Clair (2nd choice due to Crepeau injury), Thomas Hasal (3rd choice)

Fullbacks- Alistair Johnston, Samuel Adekugbe, Richie Laryea (3)

Center Backs- Steven Vitoria, Doneil Henry, Joel Waterman, Kamal Miller, Derek Cornelius (5)

Central Midfielders- Stephen Eustaquio, Samuel Piette, Ismael Kone, Mark Anthony Kaye, Jonathan Osorio, Atiba Hutchinson (6)

Wingers- Alphonso Davies, Tajon Buchanan, Junior Hoilett, Liam Millar, Charles-Andre Brym (wild card pick) (5)

Strikers- Jonathan David, Cyle Larin, Ike Ugbo, Lucas Cavallini (4)

6 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

But speculation on the final squad especially now after injuries and players' current form, as far as the 26 players Herdman takes to Qatar in 9 days:

Goalkeepers- Milan Borjan (1st choice), Dayne St Clair (2nd choice due to Crepeau injury), Thomas Hasal (3rd choice)

Fullbacks- Alistair Johnston, Samuel Adekugbe, Richie Laryea (3)

Center Backs- Steven Vitoria, Doneil Henry, Joel Waterman, Kamal Miller, Derek Cornelius (5)

Central Midfielders- Stephen Eustaquio, Samuel Piette, Ismael Kone, Mark Anthony Kaye, Jonathan Osorio, Atiba Hutchinson (6)

Wingers- Alphonso Davies, Tajon Buchanan, Junior Hoilett, Liam Millar, Charles-Andre Brym (wild card pick) (5)

Strikers- Jonathan David, Cyle Larin, Ike Ugbo, Lucas Cavallini (4)

I would pick this roster, except substitute Wotherspoon for Brym.

Borjan, St Clair, Pantemis

Adekugbe, Cornelius, Henry (or Waterman, if Doneil is out with injury), Miller, Johnston, Vitoria, Laryea

Eustaquio, Fraser, Hoilett, Hutchinson, Kaye, Kone, Osorio, Piette, Wotherspoon

Buchanan, Cavallini, David, Davies, Larin, Millar, Ugbo

I spent too much thinking about the last 2 or 3 guys on the roster, and we've probably spent too much time discussing it, when in reality there's no chance they'll play a meaningful minute.

13 hours ago, jonovision said:

Adekugbe, Cornelius, Henry (or Waterman, if Doneil is out with injury), Miller, Johnston, Vitoria, Laryea

I spent too much thinking about the last 2 or 3 guys on the roster, and we've probably spent too much time discussing it, when in reality there's no chance they'll play a meaningful minute.

After the Bahrain game, I believe that Fraser has earned the final spot over Waterman. 

15 hours ago, jonovision said:

I'm 100% so far, assuming Hoilett gets listed with the forward group. 

Edit: OK, what do I win?

Edited by jonovision