Canada Pre-World Cup "friendlies" thread: news, gossip and speculation.

Califax

This article speculates that the Canada vs Iran match has been confirmed or is very close to being confirmed over the next day or two.  There are still some discussions about which stadium the match could be played at.  The 'contract' has not been signed yet.

Good translate is not always the best, but according to the translation Iran is trying to get another match in Canada as well, possibly against Albania (?)

https://www.varzesh3.com/news/1823602/ایران-کانادا-قطعی-دو-بازی-دیگر-اعلام-می-شود

Edited by Buchta

18 minutes ago, Buchta said:

This article speculates that the Canada vs Iran match has been confirmed or is very close to being confirmed over the next day or two.  There are still some discussions about which stadium the match could be played at.  The 'contract' has not been signed yet.

Good translate is not always the best, but according to the translation Iran is trying to get another match in Canada as well, possibly against Albania (?)

https://www.varzesh3.com/news/1823602/ایران-کانادا-قطعی-دو-بازی-دیگر-اعلام-می-شود

Thanks for sharing the article! I guess we can watch Soccer Canada news feeds tomorrow for an update. It is interesting about the possible game vs Albania at another Canadian site. Iran does make for a great match up for a test match. 

it just makes me wonder, if they are trying to setup a 2nd friendly somehow. It has to be very unlikely, since every comment was one friendly. But having Albania come here for only an Iran friendly seems odd

Edited by blueseeka

I saw Albania vs Spain last month, have to say they were very good, very solid team. Hard to break down, great competitive spirit, played clean and honestly.

The striker Broja, at Southampton, is quality. They have a player who was born and raised near Barcelona, discovered he had some grandparent with roots and now plays for them, a right back, Ivan Balliu. 

All I am saying: though they are not going to the WC they play hard and compete, and perhaps they do approximate some of the Balkan style we'd see vs. Croatia, but without the latter's creative flair of course.

7 hours ago, Buchta said:

I would play the match in Canada but have it either at BMO Field here in Toronto or at Rogers Centre in Toronto as well or have it at BC Place in Vancouver 

4 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

I would play the match in Canada but have it either at BMO Field here in Toronto or at Rogers Centre in Toronto as well or have it at BC Place in Vancouver 

Is Iran picky about having to play on natural grass?  It would more sense for Iran to play in Toronto since there are more Iranian immigrants that would want to see them play.

If there are two friendlies,  the dates likely will be June 1 and June 5.  Four matches in 13 days means that there is going to be a lot of squad rotation.  

1 minute ago, YorkRegionFan said:

Is Iran picky about having to play on natural grass?  It would more sense for Iran to play in Toronto since there are more Iranian immigrants that would want to see them play.

If there are two friendlies,  the dates likely will be June 1 and June 5.  Four matches in 13 days means that there is going to be a lot of squad rotation.  

I would love it because I'm from Toronto so it works for me

7 minutes ago, Califax said:

For the rest of Canada, this is the perfect quote to describe Torontonians. 😃😃

Hey don't you dare let him be the voice of Torontonians!
But logically WE ARE the centre of Canada, and everyone knows that.😂

Expression Reaction GIF by Steve Harvey TV

side note...The man loves the games in his backyard so the squad can feel that much closer..... on the TV.

Edited by Shway

3 hours ago, timmy_14 said:

This is on Iran Wikipedia page, interesting!!

155CB26C-A9C4-4DA4-9111-6C5015C4F7C4.png

Interesting info - However, the fact that NZ does not have the Iran friendly on their schedule on their Wikipedia page (see screenshot below) calls into question the credibility of the posted Iran schedule. 

image.png.f8f31ce677e0c6c73b061f78a8f976e8.png

question.....

Would the lack of no friendly, and the news of a newcomer in Jebbison, Mitrovic, or Holmes supplement your feelings of frustration?

Say this in a Herdman voice" "we were busy working on the paperwork to get these lads in for this window, so that we could get them acclimatized into the system, the culture, the brotherhood (starting to hate that word lol) in anticipation of these guys being able to be the difference in the suqad. We see that, and we believe in them so it's on these young boys, these teenagers to show that"

36 minutes ago, Shway said:

Would the lack of no friendly, and the news of a newcomer in Jebbison, Mitrovic, or Holmes supplement your feelings of frustration?

I don't think it would be a disappointment for there to be no new duals. As great as it would be to see them, if our focus is on Qatar preparation, it's not the end of the world. At the moment I don't know that Jebbison or Mitrovic would crack our Qatar roster, potentially Mitrovic if we have injuries/he takes big strides. Holmes remains to be seen if he's even eligible, but you could argue he could battle into the depth CB role

1 minute ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

I don't think it would be a disappointment for there to be no new duals. As great as it would be to see them, if our focus is on Qatar preparation, it's not the end of the world. At the moment I don't know that Jebbison or Mitrovic would crack our Qatar roster, potentially Mitrovic if we have injuries/he takes big strides. Holmes remains to be seen if he's even eligible, but you could argue he could battle into the depth CB role

Holmes is the probably only one that would have a real shot of cracking the lineup for Qatar.

55 minutes ago, K-Dub said:

Interesting info - However, the fact that NZ does not have the Iran friendly on their schedule on their Wikipedia page (see screenshot below) calls into question the credibility of the posted Iran schedule. 

image.png.f8f31ce677e0c6c73b061f78a8f976e8.png

New Zealand was announced to play Peru here in Barcelona on June 5th. They replace previously announced Morocco. 

Tickets are on sale already. That would not be a problem for New Zealand to then go to Qatar. But what makes less sense is New Zealand playing Iran 3 days before Costa Rica, it's too tight. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist