All purpose ‘Going to Qatar’ thread

EJsens1

17 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

Assuming Canada qualifies, I wonder how many of you are seriously going to make travel plans for Qatar to watch Canada play? But I wonder how many of our Canadian fans will be able to travel to Qatar to watch our team play given COVID restrictions all over the world case in point in Qatar?

I know a lot of Canada fans will probably want to do plane & hotel or some may even take trains from neighboring countries to come into Qatar.

It’s like anything these days with travel.  It is a calculated risk.  Buy travel insurance for your flights 100%.  I’m sure if they have reduced capacity and you lose your seats, you’d be refunded your money. As for accommodations, who the bleep knows!

I think once we qualify, a lot of Canadians will probably be focusing on other continental qualifications but also the Final Group Draw itself. I think I'm more excited not only about the prospect of qualifying but the Final Group Draw and seeing who Canada gets in their group for the 2022 FIFA World Cup.

10 hours ago, EJsens1 said:

The other aspect it mentioned was the option to sit with a group of friends.  Everyone gets assigned a group number for their application.  If you know another applicants group number, you can enter their number with yours to try and sit together (ie. other Canadian fans/voyageurs).  As the instructions say, you have to be in the same seating category for this to work

I wonder if this is something that can be added at a later time so Vs can group together

17 minutes ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

I wonder if this is something that can be added at a later time so Vs can group together

Yeah could be possible.  A lot will depend on what works through the CSA and the higher ups here who work with them.  I’ve seen some on the membership site sharing group numbers to sit together.  I feel like this is something that can be worked out later.

13 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Stating the obvious but any kind of large coordination would require us to generally pick the same tier of seating (1, 2 or 3) for that to work.  

The above comment leads to this.  I’m not telling anyone how to spend their money, but as I posted earlier in the thread, the disparity in tickets allotted for category 1 versus 2 and 3 is pretty heavily weight for category 1.  I’d recommend applying for that category to give yourself a better chance at tickets, even though they are pricier.

There is a part of the application process that asks if you can’t get tickets in your category, would you be willing to move to another one.  I accepted yes.  I suppose for arguments sake, if the V’s were given a category 2 section, that there is potential based on what I said above to move, but don’t take that as gospel 

46 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Stating the obvious but any kind of large coordination would require us to generally pick the same tier of seating (1, 2 or 3) for that to work.  

Then again doesn't it also come down to how huge the World Cup stadiums are in Qatar or better yet how they will arrange how many fans can be in the stadium or where the fans can be in the stadium or the social distancing rules case in point we still are in a pandemic but then for the first time ever, a FIFA World Cup during a pandemic it is a lot of restrictions to work through.

40 minutes ago, EJsens1 said:

Yeah could be possible.  A lot will depend on what works through the CSA and the higher ups here who work with them.  I’ve seen some on the membership site sharing group numbers to sit together.  I feel like this is something that can be worked out later.

The above comment leads to this.  I’m not telling anyone how to spend their money, but as I posted earlier in the thread, the disparity in tickets allotted for category 1 versus 2 and 3 is pretty heavily weight for category 1.  I’d recommend applying for that category to give yourself a better chance at tickets, even though they are pricier.

There is a part of the application process that asks if you can’t get tickets in your category, would you be willing to move to another one.  I accepted yes.  I suppose for arguments sake, if the V’s were given a category 2 section, that there is potential based on what I said above to move, but don’t take that as gospel 

Can you apply for multiple tiers for the same team package- eg Tier 1 and Tier 4, to hedge bets?

21 minutes ago, Redpunkfiddle said:

Can you apply for multiple tiers for the same team package- eg Tier 1 and Tier 4, to hedge bets?

No, you can apply for one category per application.  An alternative could be if you’re going with at least one other person, you each put in an application (use one another’s names for each guest on the application) and do different categories for that 

45 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

So out of curiosity are folks applying for Tier 1, 2 or 3.  It looks like you can amend your application up to the deadline but wondering if people tried to maximize their chances (tier 1?) or minimize costs (tier 3).  

I got tier 1 on my end to maximize chances.

Also another food for thought...I have 3 friends that want to come should we qualify. They are the types that talk, but won't do when it comes crunch time. ;) So odds are I am going by myself lol. Would be also good to coordinate with people who are going alone eventually those open to share room for cost purposes. 

2 minutes ago, Joe1973 said:

I got tier 1 on my end to maximize chances.

Also another food for thought...I have 3 friends that want to come should we qualify. They are the types that talk, but won't do when it comes crunch time. ;) So odds are I am going by myself lol. Would be also good to coordinate with people who are going alone eventually those open to share room for cost purposes. 

I did wonder about the Tier 1 vs Tier 2.  There may be more Tier 1 tickets but I also wonder if most people going to the WC would choose that option (this more demand).   Tactically, if you really want to maximize your chances, it seems like you would choose Tier 2 and select the option that allows you to move up or down 1 Tier.  That opens every up every available seat to you.  Either of the other two options are more limited.  

I ended up going with Tier 4.  It would be 4 tickets for me and cost starts to become an issue at some point.  

2 minutes ago, pod818 said:

has anyone looked at flights..rates are ridiculously expensive. It may get worse as well. Are there any other routes into Qatar that make sense? I know some cruise ships go in (which isn't really viable option), but I don't think there is a land or rail option 

I think there is a land or rail option if you manage to go to a neighboring country and you connect from there to Qatar

2 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I did wonder about the Tier 1 vs Tier 2.  There may be more Tier 1 tickets but I also wonder if most people going to the WC would choose that option (this more demand).   Tactically, if you really want to maximize your chances, it seems like you would choose Tier 2 and select the option that allows you to move up or down 1 Tier.  That opens every up every available seat to you.  Either of the other two options are more limited.  

I ended up going with Tier 4.  It would be 4 tickets for me and cost starts to become an issue at some point.  

I might be naïve here but if 1/3 of stadium is allocated to the national team fans, I doubt there will be 10-15k Canadian fans applying in this first window. So odds of applicants like us getting seats will be pretty high, no? So I think all of us should be ok.

7 minutes ago, Joe1973 said:

I might be naïve here but if 1/3 of stadium is allocated to the national team fans, I doubt there will be 10-15k Canadian fans applying in this first window. So odds of applicants like us getting seats will be pretty high, no? So I think all of us should be ok.

Depends how many tire-kickers there are (and admittedly I am one of them).  But you may be right.  Demand for Canada games specifically may not be through the roof given the newness of many fans and the cost of attending games in Qatar.

Even if we can't send an army of fans to Qatar, there will be so many viewing parties all over Canada come November but also because of the time difference between Qatar and Canada is 8 hour time difference. At least here in Toronto where I come from, it is 8 hours. So we could get all sorts of crazy times when games come on for Canada on TV especially when it comes to Qatar. But it will be worth it to wake up early or stay up late to watch games. Time difference was worse back in 2002 South Korea/Japan to watch games.

8 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

Then the only way is either by airplane or cruise ship

6 minutes ago, pod818 said:

yeah..so thats why even though flights are quite expensive even now..I don't see them getting much cheaper as supply dwindles..

I’m sorry to jump to conclusions, but taking trains through some of the neighbouring countries in that region even if they existed, wouldn’t be the greatest of options.

It’s flight or bust.  I’ve done a lot of travelling.  Be patient.  Don’t go to Expedia, see the first price and freak out.  Surf the net, stay up late one night. You have some time to plan, save up, etc.  Have a budget in mind and be reasonable with it.  I hope it happens for everyone that we all find a deal, but you’re not going to get Flair like prices.  That’s just reality.  But you shouldn’t be paying $3000 either.  Deals can be found 

1 minute ago, EJsens1 said:

I’m sorry to jump to conclusions, but taking trains through some of the neighbouring countries in that region even if they existed, wouldn’t be the greatest of options.

It’s flight or bust.  I’ve done a lot of travelling.  Be patient.  Don’t go to Expedia, see the first price and freak out.  Surf the net, stay up late one night. You have some time to plan, save up, etc.  Have a budget in mind and be reasonable with it.  I hope it happens for everyone that we all find a deal, but you’re not going to get Flair like prices.  That’s just reality.  But you shouldn’t be paying $3000 either.  Deals can be found 

Yeah that's true which is why I think everyone is also tryin to do cruises to Qatar too

35 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I have to ask dyslexic man, as far as I know, there are only 3 categories for international fans to apply in for tickets. I assume when you tier, you mean category, so how did you get 4?  The category 4 is supposed to only be for people in Qatar.  I’m pretty sure on that.