Match Thread: CONCACAF League - Semi-Final - Leg 2: CD Motagua (Honduras) v Forge FC - December 1, 2021

It was chaotic at times around the Forge area but they survived the half and probably had the best chance to score, so far Bobby I think will be pleased because it is still all to play for! The concern for me was giving up an early goal when Montagua had their tails up because it would be obviously real tough to come back from that but anything can happen in these final 45, Forge definitely aren't outclassed so far!

17 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Lol.  3 minutes of stoppage, they play about 10 seconds of it.  2:50 of it is clearly not played.  And they only go to 94.  Ah CONCACAF, you can be infinitely frustrating.  

Well this could all be easily solved by having the fourth official or another official keep time so that the scoreboard clock is the actual time , the ref points to the times keeper whenever he feels time should be stopped so we all know how much time is actually left. As it is now the ref just basically makes it up in terms of how much added time he gives at the end of 90 minutes . It’s 2021 why should how much actual time is left be a mystery, it’s a joke really how in soccer an actual running scoreboard clock is not possible in this day and age.

Congrats to Forge. They represented the league well. Even this Forge-hater was pulling for them in the end.

I liked this tweet from Adam Jenkins. Forge have 10 to 12 guys who would be at worst the third best player in most of the other squads in the league. I don't know how they manage to keep everyone in the team, but it's kept them strong.

Henry was the clear MOTM for me. Was the only one who consistently kept cool under so much pressure.

I'm not sure if it was the heat or the congested schedule, but we looked GASSED the last 30 minutes or so. I was expecting a defensive lapse leading to a goal. I truly like Maxim Tissot but he is NOT and never has been a CB. I found it odd the way that Metusala mostly lined up on the outside and Tissot playing CB (and AAJ covering a lot of the time). At times, Tissot was just missing the speed and stamina to keep up. Dom was an animal all game, but I think he nearly suffered similar lapses due to lack of energy. 

If no one returns from injury by the weekend, I hope that we start a backline of Kwame - Dom - Metusala - Cisse on Sunday. I don't trust Metusala on the ball a lot, but I think we need his pace in the backline. Give AAJ back his spot as the deep-lying midfielder and move Tissot to the bench.

1 hour ago, Pottsy3 said:

Henry was the clear MOTM for me. Was the only one who consistently kept cool under so much pressure.

I'm not sure if it was the heat or the congested schedule, but we looked GASSED the last 30 minutes or so. I was expecting a defensive lapse leading to a goal. I truly like Maxim Tissot but he is NOT and never has been a CB. I found it odd the way that Metusala mostly lined up on the outside and Tissot playing CB (and AAJ covering a lot of the time). At times, Tissot was just missing the speed and stamina to keep up. Dom was an animal all game, but I think he nearly suffered similar lapses due to lack of energy. 

If no one returns from injury by the weekend, I hope that we start a backline of Kwame - Dom - Metusala - Cisse on Sunday. I don't trust Metusala on the ball a lot, but I think we need his pace in the backline. Give AAJ back his spot as the deep-lying midfielder and move Tissot to the bench.

The backline was definitely a bit rag tag and although they gave up some really good chances many of those were when Forge were pushing up trying to get a winner, not conceding in a hostile environment was quite impressive! I hope the team has some energy left for Sunday because it would be a shame to end this epic season empty handed, Cisse coming back into the side is huge and I agree Tissot is not really a CB, I expect AAJ or Metusala to partner Samuel in the middle Sunday! If Forge were more clinical around the net we would have been looking forward to Concacaf League final tie at THF, hopefully they can get the job done Sunday in what will be there 40th match!

Edited by gator

Just now, gator said:

I agree Tissot is not really a CB, I expect AAJ or Metusala to partner Henry in the middle Sunday! 

I know Henry is an aggressive keeper, but judging by his ball control I don't think he'll be much of an asset as a CB 😂

Fair point that we had to challenge for a winner, Dom made a lot of runs forward at the end. With his big frame, he reminds me of a bull seeing red whenever he picks up the pace.

15 minutes ago, Pottsy3 said:

I know Henry is an aggressive keeper, but judging by his ball control I don't think he'll be much of an asset as a CB 😂

Fair point that we had to challenge for a winner, Dom made a lot of runs forward at the end. With his big frame, he reminds me of a bull seeing red whenever he picks up the pace.

🤣 Sorry, my bad, you knew who I meant! Samuel continues to impress, he is very versatile, he has played every position in the backline and brings a much needed physical presence and I'm my opinion has improved quite a bit technically!

Really enjoyed watching the match last night.  A better defensive effort in the 1st leg and Forge would have beaten Honduras' best team and went through to their finals.  Great to see that CPL teams can already compete with the best of what the central American nations can offer.

I thought last night if Browne or Navarro stayed in a little longer they would have gotten that breakthrough goal, but maybe their were gassed as Pottsy3 mentioned above.