Isaac Boehmer

He looked confident out there with good hands and did a good job commanding his box for a young keeper. The big save near the end of the game had impressive reactions, lots of power on the shot up high from a close range and with a lot of players blocking his view. I noticed his distribution seemed pretty good or he was at least getting a lot of distance on his kicks. 

3 hours ago, Craig11rm said:

He looked confident out there with good hands and did a good job commanding his box for a young keeper. The big save near the end of the game had impressive reactions, lots of power on the shot up high from a close range and with a lot of players blocking his view. I noticed his distribution seemed pretty good or he was at least getting a lot of distance on his kicks. 

Agreed, he looked good. Hasal struggled to get his goal kicks to half and was really shaky on distribution, so it is nice to see. 

4 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

Made the bench of MLS team of the week. 

Geez but so did Blanco, who spent the entire game from the opening minutes trying to punk the ref. And ended up carded for complaining about a non-foul late. Then got his assistant coach and the Timbers coach jumping in accusing the ref of who knows what, confronting the same guy that saved their asses by calling a penalty in their favour. 

Saw Santini told one of the Timbers assistants to FO at the end as well. 

They are nuts if they think they were hard done by, the entire match many players were diving, bitching to the ref, whining about big nothings. And were mostly outplayed as well.

• 1 year later...
8 minutes ago, masster said:

This guy needs to be playing more. What is he achieving by being the third keeper with the Caps? Send him out on loan.

He’s the backup FWIW. Joe Bendik is basically in that 3rd string keeper / old guy that keeps the lockeroom close together type of role.

5 minutes ago, masster said:

This guy needs to be playing more. What is he achieving by being the third keeper with the Caps? Send him out on loan.

I agree. He reminds me of Crepeau when he was with Montreal. He does a great job of commanding his box and catching crosses. He made a solid save on a header in the game but I wonder if he could have done a little better on Calvary’s goal at the end. 

I'd like to see Boehmer play in Colorado next week, the mid-week game.  Would be a good rotation between him and Takaoka over the next two weeks, since I think we can safely assume he'll start in the return leg.

3 hours ago, Atlantic said:

He’s the backup FWIW. Joe Bendik is basically in that 3rd string keeper / old guy that keeps the lockeroom close together type of role.

Thanks for the correction...but my point still stands. Have the old guy be the one sitting on the bench.

Young keepers need to play. Pantemis and Sirios both showed that loans to the CPL have value. And the way Viscosi has looked...Valour could use another keeper!!

7 hours ago, masster said:

Thanks for the correction...but my point still stands. Have the old guy be the one sitting on the bench.

Young keepers need to play. Pantemis and Sirios both showed that loans to the CPL have value. And the way Viscosi has looked...Valour could use another keeper!!

I have wondered about that, as well.  I always believed that your number 1-in-waiting should be playing as a regular starter at level below instead of just being a back up.

Interesting to note that the club has moved away from having two back up keepers on the bench during MLS play.  I never was a fan of that.

Though I should post in his own thread but since it is relevant to here:  where is Hasal playing right now?

• 2 months later...

I haven’t been impressed with Takaoka at all. He’s been such a down grade from Crepeau and not much better than Hasal IMO. I have actually liked the games I’ve watched with Boemher, he kind of reminds me of a young Crepeau that was stuck on the bench at Montreal. 

1 hour ago, narduch said:

I see Takaoka had a 4.4 Fotmob rating yesterday 

If nothing else, you need to know what you really have in Boehmer apart from Vees Cup cameos.  Sartini was terrified to play him near this time last year even when Takaoka had a significant drop in performance but the team's strong road showing against albeit sh*tty opponents.

If you think Boehmer's the heir apparent, give him the real chance to compete if the incumbent is off form or else loan him out where he can be a number one (CPL) and have Bendik and Anchor caddy for Takaoka.  

Last year's Leagues Cup was novel, this year's isn't, so you get another chance to squad rotate and see what some youngies can do.  Ditto Halbouni.

55 minutes ago, Craig11rm said:

I haven’t been impressed with Takaoka at all. He’s been such a down grade from Crepeau and not much better than Hasal IMO. I have actually liked the games I’ve watched with Boemher, he kind of reminds me of a young Crepeau that was stuck on the bench at Montreal. 

He's a significant upgrade on Hasal, but the packed schedule has resulted in Vanni over playing him because Vanni never trusts half his squad.  I'd like to see more of Boehmer, and this last stretch of games would have been perfect for it.  But again, Vanni holds this team back.

I can almost 100% guarantee Boehmer gets the game Leagues Cup game down in LA, but I'm guessing that Vanni will give Takaoka the start at home against Tijuana and any subsequent knockout round games.

24 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

If nothing else, you need to know what you really have in Boehmer apart from Vees Cup cameos.  Sartini was terrified to play him near this time last year even when Takaoka had a significant drop in performance but the team's strong road showing against albeit sh*tty opponents.

If you think Boehmer's the heir apparent, give him the real chance to compete if the incumbent is off form or else loan him out where he can be a number one (CPL) and have Bendik and Anchor caddy for Takaoka.  

Last year's Leagues Cup was novel, this year's isn't, so you get another chance to squad rotate and see what some youngies can do.  Ditto Halbouni.

Boehmer is a mile off Gazdov. It's not even close 

11 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Boehmer is a mile off Gazdov. It's not even close.

Maybe Boehmer would be a total bust as a starter in CPL, who knows?  I don't care how he compares specifically to Pacific's keeper because the relevant point is that if the Caps see him as a future starter, find a way to give him the chance somewhere (CPL/USL/overseas) to compete and hopefully become a number one.

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Boehmer kept the Whitecaps in the game tonight, even as the team in front of him unraveled. So miscues he probably still needs to clean up, but he's also the reason they got the win.

I am happy to see him get the start here and hopefully for the next match.

33 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

I am happy to see him get the start here and hopefully for the next match.

I am guessing Vanni gives Takaoka the start, but I'd be happy to see Boehmer a few more times just over the remainder of the season (and not just vs Pacific in a month).