2020-2021 CONCACAF League

Forge campaign begins October 20, 2020

Concacaf confirmed a new schedule, with the opening matches due to be played on Oct. 20, and the second leg of the final Jan. 28, 2021.

The official draw for the competition is scheduled for Sept. 21.

Concacaf said that it had aagreed to implement the temporary amendment to IFAB Law 3 for this competition, enabling teams to field up to five substitutes per match.

News from CONCACAF on club competitions. Although the CCL is still up in the air, CONCACAF league is set to play the 1st round October 20th.

CPL champions Forge have qualified to represent Canada at the tournament. https://twitter.com/Soccerwriter/status/1291787664434376710?s=20

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

So any idea where these games will be played? Looking at the dates you would think the first two rounds will be played in 1 place and Forge should plan to just stay there. If they win

You are correct about the first two rounds being single knockout. Canada (more accurately CAN2) is the lowest ranked so Forge is playing away for the first round, as well as the second if they advance.

1 hour ago, grande said:

If Forge wins, and Antigua loses, the CAN2 spot will no longer be in last place.

That being said, I don't really understand what they're using these coefficients for? Why is CRC3 (48.5 points) in Pot 1 (for the preliminary round), while GUA1 (23.5 points) is in the round of 16?

I believe the 6 Central American countries are guaranteed a spot in the round of 16. It seems they use the coefficients to settle minor seeding questions, but leave the big stuff (how many spots does each country get? Are they in CCL or CL?) to decisions made by CONCACAF to make sure there is still at least a little bit of unfair corruption.

1 hour ago, grande said:

If Forge wins, and Antigua loses, the CAN2 spot will no longer be in last place.

That being said, I don't really understand what they're using these coefficients for? Why is CRC3 (48.5 points) in Pot 1 (for the preliminary round), while GUA1 (23.5 points) is in the round of 16?

And about the CAN2 spot, we could gain a lot of ground on GUA2 and BLZ1 as they should both have 8 points drop off of the 5 year period that points are kept. I guess we are actually a half point ahead of GUA2 at kickoff, assuming no funny business from CONCACAF to undo the years lost when Guatemala was banned from CONCACAF.

Just doing the covid check.

Currently El Salvador allows entry to the country if you test negative 3 days before your journey. However testing has become such a shitshow in Ontario these days because our government is run by idiots.

Panama on the other has closed its International borders for the time being.

Edited by narduch

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

So this game is happening in a few days in El Salvador.. any news?

Not a single article on the CPL website. Is the CPL not excited by this?

The game is in a week, they obviously aren't going to do pre-match coverage until a couple days before the match.

Also,

https://canpl.ca/video/forge-fc-to-travel-to-el-salvador-for-concacaf-league-in-october

https://canpl.ca/article/forge-fcs-concacaf-league-scouting-report-who-are-municipal-limeno

https://canpl.ca/video/forge-fc-back-on-the-training-pitch-gearing-up-for-concacaf-league

Which seems like pretty complete coverage so far

19 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

So this game is happening in a few days in El Salvador.. any news?

Not a single article on the CPL website. Is the CPL not excited by this?

Looks like we can expect fans in stadium. 

Forge's Twitter account makes it look like this is full steam ahead

I'm leaving work early on Thursday and I still don't know if I'll have enough time to get all the matches in that I want to.  The day is a total write off.  Grab a sandwhich and a case on the way home and set down immovably for the night.  Poor me.

This is the only fixture I'll be taking in live.   Going to be an interesting watch I think.  Know exactly the square root of sweet eff all about Municipal Limeno and can't imagine how sharp Forge is looking at this point.  Sure there will be lots of yelling/jeering at my house. 

Forge's game is on Thursday, but the competition kicks off tonight. I was just looking up some info and found that the match of interest to me tonight is Verdes (Belize) vs Arcahaie (Haiti). Belize's spot is only half a point ahead of Canada's in the Club Index, so they are well within range for us to pass them if Forge gets a result on Thursday. The other interesting thing of note is that Belize teams have lost 11 straight matches in CONCACAF League/CCL. Their last win came in 2015 in the CCL group stage, which was also the last time Verdes were the Belize representatives!

16 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

If Forge gets by this game I assume they would head straight to Panama. Looks like Panama league and Tauro get going this weekend. Hopefully they're out of shape. Seems theyve been shutdown since March

Yes they are going straight to Panama after they win (I'm sure they will 😎) according to  todays Sportsnet article.

Edited by MtlMario