CPL Playing During the Coronavirus/Covid19 Pandemic

No way any government (party) wants to be responsible for CFL folding. I think both CFL and CPL will get some money. P.S. with about 350 billion $'s given out, a few more million won't make much of a difference. And besides the leagues also generate thousand of jobs and tax revenue that would be lost if these leagues fold.

Edited by MtlMario

11 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Seriously???  They stay home and everyone with a good chance of being infected (coworkers) isolates as well.  And their wives stay home, and their kids dont go to daycare etc etc.   If you wait until everyone tests positive (if you can get a test) you'll have a nice little hotspot on your hands.  

Sorry I'm confused. But haven't the players been quarantined? So if someone tests positive before returning, then what does that have to do with the other players they haven't been around for 2months? I dont think the plan is to have all the players make out for a week and then do a round of tests 

Edited by SpursFlu

One Dresden player had already tested positive during the first wave of tests. Of the 42 tests from the third wave on Friday, two came back positive, the club said.

Dresden resumed full-contact team training on Thursday. They had been training in small groups since April 8.

Yah exactly I think 3 players from Shalke had tested positive and it didn't slow anything down. People will test positive, send em packing for a few weeks and carry on. That's what's going on here. What's confusing about this?

Edited by SpursFlu

1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

Yah exactly I think 3 players from Shalke had tested positive and it didn't slow anything down. People will test positive, send em packing for a few weeks and carry on. That's what's going on here. What's confusing about this?

Someone tested positive on Dresden.  They sent him packing and carried on.  More people tested positive shortly after, at which point they decided they couldn't carry on. That's what's going on here.  What's confusing about this?

23 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Someone tested positive on Dresden.  They sent him packing and carried on.  More people tested positive shortly after, at which point they decided they couldn't carry on. That's what's going on here.  What's confusing about this?

Well they better turn up next week or I think they forfeit 

So the whole club goes into quarantine because 3 players were positive? Why not just the 3 and the rest of the club gets tested to see if they have the virus at that point?

UFC had one of 24 fighters and 2 of his entourage test positive so the were sent into quartantine, and the other 23  fighters tested negative and continued the next day to fight in UFC 249 last Saturday. Seems how that's how it should work with rapid testing now available. Athletes are going to pick this up just like the rest of the population, can be from training/interaction or out in public, don't see the reason to over react and shut it/clubs all down if it can be managed as UFC has shown.

1 hour ago, CDNFootballer said:

So the whole club goes into quarantine because 3 players were positive? Why not just the 3 and the rest of the club gets tested to see if they have the virus at that point?

UFC had one of 24 fighters and 2 of his entourage test positive so the were sent into quartantine, and the other 23  fighters tested negative and continued the next day to fight in UFC 249 last Saturday. Seems how that's how it should work with rapid testing now available. Athletes are going to pick this up just like the rest of the population, can be from training/interaction or out in public, don't see the reason to over react and shut it/clubs all down if it can be managed as UFC has shown.

Ah yah. That kinda makes sense. If we're quarentining people who test negative then sorry why are we testing people again.. 

Edited by SpursFlu

1 hour ago, CDNFootballer said:

The problem with your suggestion is that those that have the virus can pass it to others before they are symptomatic AND those that get the virus may not test positive for some time (up to two weeks).  Therefore, if you are training together, the positive player could have passed it on and that person(s) getting it wont test positive for some time.  That is why countries implementing travel restrictions (like Hong Kong where I live) require someone to be tested on arrival and those that test negative are still required to quarantine themselves for 2 weeks.

For UFC, the fighter in question never had any interaction with the other fighters so it was fine

2 hours ago, CDNFootballer said:

Because 1 player tested positive, they continued on, and then 2 more players tested positive.  That's the point where they shut it down.  How many rounds of testing and finding players testing positive do you want them to do before they shut it down?

2 hours ago, CDNFootballer said:

UFC had one of 24 fighters and 2 of his entourage test positive so the were sent into quartantine, and the other 23  fighters tested negative and continued the next day to fight in UFC 249  

I just can't help but find myself being disinclined to take anything UFC does as anywhere even close to best practice for anybody else but UFC/Dana White & Co. 

Curious though, were the people infected exposed to anyone else involved in the card?  If they weren't then fair enough.  Brighton had a couple of players test positive but as all the players are training seperately (at the club facilities) that's something quite different then persons testing positive who were involved in a group setting.  Not at all the same thing.   

1 hour ago, Cheeta said:

I just can't help but find myself being disinclined to take anything UFC does as anywhere even close to best practice for anybody else but UFC/Dana White & Co. 

Curious though, were the people infected exposed to anyone else involved in the card?  If they weren't then fair enough.  Brighton had a couple of players test positive but as all the players are training seperately (at the club facilities) that's something quite different then persons testing positive who were involved in a group setting.  Not at all the same thing.   

I've noticed people seem to be crapping on Dana White a lot. I'm not really a big UFC fan but I'm wondering at what point do people come out and say they were wrong? Much like Bundesliga. At what point do all the arm chair pearl clutchers say they were wrong. Nothing wrong with being wrong, you can't be right until you've been wrong but I'm just asking the question cuz people seem very angry and get personal. So are these opinions just gonna melt away or are people going to put they're hands up and be like ya I guess I was a little overboard but hey it was understandable I was really scared and luckily it wasn't as bad as we figured or were led to believe 

Edited by SpursFlu

Hmmm.

Not a UFC fan at all but to my mind Dana White is to UFC what Don King was to prize fighting.  Interpet into that what you will. 

Curious phrase, "you can't be right until you've been wrong".  Why not?  Never quite got that one.  I've always supposed it means nobody is perfect all the time but I'm not sure so I suppose, I could be wrong. 

I don't wish ill will onto anyone and I hope the re-launch of the Bundesliga is a wildly successful and entirely non-tragic exercise.  And if it is, grand.  But what does that mean for everybody else outside of Germany?  Unless you're echoing the German model, to the letter, probably absolutely nothing.   

Do people get personal?  I guess maybe they do.  Things have been turned all topsy turvey.  But something that didn't exist 6 months ago has killed more Americas in the last 60 days than died in the Vietnam war and every US military conflict in the 45 years since then.  And they've just started the counting so....yeah.  Can imagine how that might be a bit unsettling for some people.

And every single day I hope that we'll be able to look back at 2020 and complain that the federal government's response was an overreaction because things didn't go nearly as badly as we were told that they could.  Interpet into that what you will.

Enjoying my little bubble of isolation on the edge of the Great Plains.

Cheeta. 

2 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I've noticed people seem to be crapping on Dana White a lot. I'm not really a big UFC fan but I'm wondering at what point do people come out and say they were wrong? Much like Bundesliga. At what point do all the arm chair pearl clutchers say they were wrong. Nothing wrong with being wrong, you can't be right until you've been wrong but I'm just asking the question cuz people seem very angry and get personal. So are these opinions just gonna melt away or are people going to put they're hands up and be like ya I guess I was a little overboard but hey it was understandable I was really scared and luckily it wasn't as bad as we figured or were led to believe 

I'm honestly curious at this stage as to what you consider to be "not as bad as we figured or were led to believe" is, and at what stage you'd be willing to admit you were wrong.  I'm not even saying we're at that stage.  I'm just saying you're very quick to point out other people should admit they're wrong without actually providing any parameters for when you'd have to admit the same thing.

22 hours ago, An Observer said:

The problem with your suggestion is that those that have the virus can pass it to others before they are symptomatic AND those that get the virus may not test positive for some time (up to two weeks).  Therefore, if you are training together, the positive player could have passed it on and that person(s) getting it wont test positive for some time.  That is why countries implementing travel restrictions (like Hong Kong where I live) require someone to be tested on arrival and those that test negative are still required to quarantine themselves for 2 weeks.

For UFC, the fighter in question never had any interaction with the other fighters so it was fine

The UFC fighter who tested positive actually had contact with the other fighters/UFC personel, think Dana White even fist tapped him.

18 hours ago, Cheeta said:

Not a UFC fan at all but to my mind Dana White is to UFC what Don King was to prize fighting.  Interpet into that what you will.

Can't agree with the Don King comparison, Dana is thought of quite well by many UFC fans. Some people dislike him though for other reasons, some may say political reasons, as he is a friend of Trump, so to those people he makes only bad decisions even if some are actually good decisions.

21 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Because 1 player tested positive, they continued on, and then 2 more players tested positive.  That's the point where they shut it down.  How many rounds of testing and finding players testing positive do you want them to do before they shut it down?

That's the question and risk that has to be decided on, some will say do what UFC did and that the risk is acceptable, some will say do what the Budesliga club did and shut it down because of what may or may not happen. Some will be thinking a mix of those 2 scenarios is a risk thats realistic to take.

Even outside sport some want us to stay home still and some say its not realistic anymore to lockdown to survive but that it was necessary in March when we knew less about the coronavirus but life has to continue on, even with restrictions/social distancing, and we can't wait until no more are dying from the virus to resume work/excercise/outings.

I'd guess it doesn't really matter where they have this rumoured get together, again, so long as the site is able to host multiple residency programs comfortably with some capacity for isolation and a venue/venues that present really well on broadcasts.  Not having any crowds to add to the event makes the grounds that much more important.  Also a neutral sight would ease things in the board room.  There may be hard feeling and questions about optics if a single CanPL city gets the prize.  That being said this is a multi million dollar scheme.  Easy to make arguments against sending that money to a non CanPL city.

I read "earned their salaries" as a turn of phrase, not as an accounting statement and is about as spot on as could be.  

Edited by Cheeta

3 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Can this be taken seriously?

When he also posts this:

150k for Emilio Estevez recoups only 20% of last season's salary cap which in turn will be only a fraction of Y9's total 2019 operating budget.

1) The restart at a single site is probably the way it will go short term. Valour has IGF right on the University of Manitoba campus which has everything required. Plus it's case-load is about the same level as New Brunswick's.

2) Duane was referring to the CanPL's SoccerOps Dept - not Y9. With all the sales this year I can believe they paid for themselves.