Way to play the season & fill the void

Our weakness is now our strength. The biggest obstacle to the CPL was always the distance between us in Canada. So why not now find a rural soccer field in the middle of Canada and start moving players there and officials there. Obvious logistics and strict screening will be needed. It would at the very least allow for a great pre season and they can kick off games on OneSoccer & CBC. Even play a compact schedule. The place can be remote as possible to create proper distancing. I know there is a ton of liability involved so if not possible I get it. But if the experts would sign off and players sign off, I think it would be great. If leagues from dense areas of the world continue to not play, onesoccer can use they're network to introduce CPL to global markets 

Edited by SpursFlu

Yeah I thought about this too. Like last seasons pre-season camp they could just have all the teams in one base and a neutral ground to play on and play the season. 

Would all players, staff, employees be ok and even able to leave friends and family for that long a time? It's not implausible in my opinion. People and families work through those type of situations.  Certainly they could do something like that to finish the Premiership if they really had to. A ton of red tape and other dilemmas to work through but maybe not implausible. 

Knowing my luck it would happen and all the teams would play down the road in Saskatoon and I wouldn't be able to watch. 

And what, test all staff and players every day? Develop rules that keep players 2 meters apart from each other and avoid touching the ball with their hands (throw ins and goalkeepers). Sorry, but this isn’t feasible. We just have to wait and see when this whole covid thing takes a turn for the better and restrictions begin to be lifted.

39 minutes ago, Kent said:

And what, test all staff and players every day? Develop rules that keep players 2 meters apart from each other and avoid touching the ball with their hands (throw ins and goalkeepers). Sorry, but this isn’t feasible. We just have to wait and see when this whole covid thing takes a turn for the better and restrictions begin to be lifted.

It actually is if you see Taiwan, Korea and the most successful outliers from Italy. I'm no expert but with constant testing and isolating vulnerable people it seems to be the best approach. That's what experts are starting to say. But I'm not here to argue and I'm not claiming to be anything I'm not. I'm happy to follow along with what ever I'm told by those in the know

And I'm not here to give a false sense of security or blow smoke but I personally know someone who came home from travel. Found out someone they had been around had it, remembered they had felt sick before coming home. Went, Tested positive a few weeks back but was completely cleared last weekend and told to just go home lay low for another week and then go on with their life. They're fine. Everyone follow the strict guidelines, be civil, look out for one another. But I'm sure soon enough it will all be back to normal. I'm not an expert but I trust our experts and I'm looking forward to some CPL one way or another soon enough

Edited by SpursFlu

8 minutes ago, Cblake said:

Public health are not wasting tastes on a 100 plus soccer players and staff each day just so games can be played at some random outpost. 

Kids at school in Taiwan are being tested 4 time a day. It's not about tests, it's about thousands of potential infected people rushing in to hospitals that are full of sick people. That's why they're setting up drive thrus. It's not about tests it's about you giving it to grandpa with the bad ticker or the cancer patient

Edited by SpursFlu

Just now, SpursFlu said:

Kids at school in Taiwan are being tested 4 time a day. It's not about tests, it's about thousands of potential infected people rushing in to hospitals that full of sick people

That is totally different, in the case of the CPL it would be putting people together on purpose for entertainment. It would be such a dumb look. 

Anyways, if people actually educated themselves rather than worrying about toilet paper and watching dumb shit on the internet we'd be better for it. I trust the CPL will make the smartest decision and j do understand liability, risk assessment as well as perception and most important everyones safety

Edited by SpursFlu

This coronavirus pandemic is likely to go on for many more months as will the restrictions which will grow here in Canada just like everywhere else. Even in China where the virus originated they're still under restrictions, wearing masks etc, for the foreseeable future, just a new fact of life for now unfortunately as even they are still not in the clear and have new cases daily but on a smaller scale.

Wish it were otherwise but not optimistic CPL will take to the field at all this year.

The Olympics start in late July, but there is still qualifying in numerous sports and of course training, logistics, etc. As for CPL, there will be a need for training camps prior to the start of the season. Maybe just one week in order to get the teams a bit working together, but wanting to get on with the games ASAP. At this point, I'm thinking my elementary school aged kids are not going back until June at the earliest. If only I could play the guitar, we'd have School of Rock here. Maybe a Canada Day weekend start for CPL? I don't see it being any earlier than that.

One sport that's being devastated is Formula 1. Perhaps the most global "league", the first race still scheduled is Canada June 14. I think this will be postponed too. I'm not sure if CPL could do something like what F1 is doing re ESports. F1 held a virtual Bahrain Grand Prix yesterday, with two current drivers, several former F1 drivers or younger ones, and some ESports "stars" all playing F1 2019 at the same time against each other. 

12 hours ago, Cblake said:

The COC has just said they will not be sending any athletes if the Olympics are held this summer. That says a lot of how long people are thinking this will go on for. 

But the Olympics is basically the worst sporting event at the moment. Let's send thousands of people from all around the world in to a dense urban area and have them wrestle with each other

Edited by SpursFlu

A league based in Canada is certainly a different animal than the Olympics. It simply has to be postponed like the Euros. Full praise for Canada for being bold enough to be the first out the door and stand up doing what is right. 

Until there is a vaccine, most things are done. Nothing is off the table or really on it at this point. We could have anything from closed doors matches in a month or two, to half a season, a CPL Cup or no season at all. Until people stay indoors (where they can) it's all getting dragged out further. Obscene how many people simply don't get it. 

7 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

But the Olympics is basically the worst sporting event at the moment. Let's send thousands of people from all around the world in to a dense urban area and have them wrestle with each other

I think the Euro2020 was even worse, with 10 countries hosting in even more cities, and potentially fans following their teams around Europe for a month. I mean, imagine following your team from Rome to Amsterdam to Bilbao? It was not viable at all--but in Europe, even if it were in one country, no nation would allow fans to come from anywhere en masse to be in bars, restaurants and stadiums. 

I am surprised the Japanese were being so ambivalent, though I realise the investment is such that  you have to try to save what you can. When this is over, next football season, next summer's Olympics, they are going to be great celebrations and we'll be thankful for them.

On 3/22/2020 at 3:33 PM, SpursFlu said:

Anyways, if people actually educated themselves rather than worrying about toilet paper and watching dumb **** on the internet we'd be better for it. I trust the CPL will make the smartest decision and j do understand liability, risk assessment as well as perception and most important everyones safety

Dude you are beyond ridiculous. Why don't you spend some time gathering perspective instead of promoting pie in the sky scenarios. I love this sport as much as anyone but right now I couldn't give a fuck about when it starts again. I'm too busy taking care of my family and worrying about their well-being. Do you even realize that we haven't peaked here in Canada yet in terms of this pandemic? Get a grip.

We do have to be mindful of facts as we put this in to perspective 

The most comprehensive study was released 2 days ago. Based in 240 000 cases this is what they know

1.3% mortality rate

4.3% mortality rate over the age of 60

1 in 20 cases can expect to not need any kind of medical care

120 000 (of recorded cases) have now fully recovered

Average length of infection 20 days

Longest recorded infection 39 days

No known person has caught it twice

Vancouver probably the community most connected to China in the Western world. Anyone who spent the past winter here can attest it was the most miserable flu ridden in a long time. There is no doubt the virus has been unknowing in Vancouver easy going back to November. I personally was deathly sick in January and so was my entire household. Thinking back this past couple weeks we were easily able to do a 6 degrees of separation in our life directly to Wuhan thru our daily life. Just some facts as I do the right thing self isolating with my family until I'm told otherwise

Edited by SpursFlu

13 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

The most comprehensive study was released 2 days ago. Based in 240 000 cases this is what they know

1.3% mortality rate

Vancouver probably the community most connected to China in the Western world. Anyone who spent the past winter here can attest it was the most miserable flu ridden in a long time. There is no doubt the virus has been unknowing in Vancouver easy going back to November. I personally was deathly sick in January and so was my entire household. Thinking back this past couple weeks we were easily able to do a 6 degrees of separation in our life directly to Wuhan thru our daily life. Just some facts as I do the right thing self isolating with my family until I'm told otherwise

I’m hopeful that because of the strong measures being taking across the world, this thing will be under control sooner than later. Maybe by or during May. That’s only if people actually isolate, so I hope that especially the young ‘immortal’ crowd (like those we’ve seen still going to pubs and beaches around the world until recently) start to take this seriously. Anyways, stay healthy!

On 3/22/2020 at 7:42 PM, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

If we are lucky warmer weather by late May will see it fade like the flu does every year. Until then zero chance of any soccer being played and soccer should be well down our list of priorities of what needs to keep functioning.

Although what you are saying could be valid for the flu, there is no clear evidence that warmer temperatures will have an effect on this virus. For a simple reason: it has not been possible to do any viable study, obviously. Not until the entire seasonal cycle is gone through, including the Southern Hemisphere winter and next autumn's development of potential vaccines for the coronavirus, will we be able to say . So you are just speculating, another half-assed pseudo-scientific spouting of bs of the many we have all had to put up with these last weeks.

It does seem to be the case that for the flu, there is an optimal temperature, some say around 8 degrees. Other argue that temperature and even sunlight, or especially sunlight, help to reduce flu symptoms. It is also true that in winter defences are lower, and that people could spend more time on closer proximity. Certain respiratory problems are worse in winter, but others, like asthma and other allergy-related problems, are sharper as spring sets in.

By the way, an optimal temperature of 8 degrees, if coronavirus is similar to the flu as you are insinuating, gives you April as a perfect month for propagation in April and into May in most of Canada, from the interior of BC to Quebec.

A sector of the population in crowded conditions, and with weak defenses, like those in old age homes, could still be vulnerable even with warmer weather. Even if, as we are saying, the coronavirus behaves like the flu, which we do not know to be the case and won't until maybe next year.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

14 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

1.3% mortality rate

Saying "There is no doubt the virus has been unknowing in Vancouver easy going back to November" is not a fact, it is another hairbrained theory with no basis. If the first possible cases, though not diagnosed, appeared in November, you are not going to get a major spread to Vancouver over and above the rest of Chinese provinces.

And this business of you having flu--so did I, and I even went to Madrid with slight flu symptoms three weeks ago. Try not to be so self-important. I had the flu, I did not have coronavirus. Neither did you, although you seem to want to say this as a sort of status statement. 

And apart from that, your stats mean very little, here is why: 

-there are wild variations in mortality rate by country, because most countries are applying different protocols when it comes to light to mild cases (counting them or not).. And because some countries have not been able to certify deaths by the virus (Iran), sticking them in there with general flu deaths (not counting serious cases). In BC, for example, anyone with mild symptoms is not tested, they have officially announced this, they are asked to self isolate and manage from home.

They are leaving a relatively large part of the data set out of the stat and grossly falsifying the rest. Just today an infectious disease modeller from SFU, Prof Colijn, said that the fact that BC does not count all cases makes the modelling very difficult, so that what you are  so pompously trying to do in your hack way, a professional says cannot be done. I trust her.

According to leading modellers and epidemiologists, in general we are sacrificing accurate models for the sake of not collapsing the public health system. So we are in crisis mode and the stats are a victim of that. It is possible, therefore, that where the situation is worse right now, like in northern Italy or Madrid, Switzerland, New York, the statistical models derived AFTER the fact may be more accurate.

-same goes for over 60 mortality rate. 

-since the vast majority of cases are light to mild, and are not tested in places like BC, we do not in fact know if they are cases. So your 1 in 20 are mild is wrong, since a far higher percentage are mild and untested--as established by BC protocols, for example. 

-as for BC being connected to China: irrelevant. Chinese overall infection rates are low, Hubei rates are high. If you can prove that Vancouver has a special and lasting connection to Hubei, great. If not, that could explain why there is a relatively low infection rate in BC. If so, then you will be stuck to answer why there are so few cases relatively in BC when the city is the one most connected to China in the western world. Either way, you would be mistaken.

If the virus was floating around BC (or anywhere else in canada) in Nov and spreading through the population there should have been a spike of odd pneumonia/resperatory cases following it.  Maybe there was, I'm not an expert, although these days you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a so called "expert" on infectious diseases.  Funny how a lot of those same guys are the ones who tell me how to mow my lawn and when to take down my x-mas lights

What is worse about @Spurs Fan post is that it even spouts more incorrect information, as to not being able to get the coronavirus twice. 

There is of course no way to know until you have a longer period to actually test this. The idea that you can create a general herd immunity has been bandied about, but it is reckless to rely on this. If it is not the case with the general flu, where many people are also vaccinated every year, you cannot just assume that having something once creates full immunity for the future: depends on the illness or disease. Without testing and a longitudinal study, you can't know.

Still, he is wrong regardless. There was a woman in Osaka who tested twice, and many people in Wuhan were released without the virus, cured, and ended up back in hospital. So they got it twice. Fine, the disease could remain residual, or dormant, and not be identifiable by standard testing, then reappear; but we don't know, so can't say if this is twice, or a double iteration of a single infection. This of course occurs with many chronic illnesses that show no symptoms, but no matter. 

You cannot make categorical statements that are false and use them to argue a point.

As for @Bison44's comment above, just this: you can't take discrepancy between experts and assume a lack of expertise. Discrepancy is the basis of scientific knowledge, as long as the diverging hypotheses are tested and discussed. Using agreed-upon protocols of fiability.

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Although what you are saying could be valid for the flu, there is no clear evidence that warmer temperatures will have an effect on this virus. For a simple reason: it has not been possible to do any viable study, obviously. Not until the entire seasonal cycle is gone through, including the Southern Hemisphere winter and next autumn's development of potential vaccines for the coronavirus, will we be able to say . So you are just speculating, another half-assed pseudo-scientific spouting of bs of the many we have all had to put up with these last weeks...

All I said was if we are lucky it will be like the flu in that regard, which implies we could easily still find that it isn't and shouldn't count on it being so. Know things are very grim in Spain right now. China and South Korea were able to turn things around so there is some hope at the end of the tunnel.