Initial B

CPL League Future Format and Table Structure

Assuming we get to 12 with Fraser Valley, SK, Quebec, and A.N. Other Ontario team (Mississauga or K-W), I could see geography used for scheduling but maintaining the single table.

You play everybody else twice (22 games), the remaining 5 teams in your "conference" once further each, and one more game against your local rival.

Yes, you'd only be playing teams on the other side of the Great Lakes twice overall, and your local rivals 4 times. Those rivalries like Pacific vs Fraser Valley (Juan de Fuca Plate redux?) save on travel and can be hyped up twice each half-season.

I'd rather you play 22 and then break into 3 group of 4, playing 6 more home and away. The 3 group winners join the highest seed in the table in a semi final.

It's like a season, a league cup, and a playoff, but stays at the current number of matches. I don't think we can schedule many more in this country.

The worry I have is that due to population density, there will eventually be a majority of teams concentrated in the Golden Horseshoe, which will provide an economic advantage over clubs that are more isolated as they could take a team bus to and from away games without requiring accommodations, saving tens of thousands of dollars per match. It might get to the point where those isolated clubs can't keep up with the Ontario clubs and we end up with all the teams in Ontario like the CSL (but hopefully at least without the match-fixing). The only way I can see to level the playing field is for CanPL to take on the responsibility for all travel and accomodation arrangements for teams from a central fund that all clubs pay into each season. Some clubs might use it more than others and that would be fine, but at least it would level the economic playing field.

2 hours ago, Initial B said:

The worry I have is that due to population density, there will eventually be a majority of teams concentrated in the Golden Horseshoe...

Well d'uh. That is one of the reasons for the salary cap, to maintain some sort of parity.

Some sort of travel pool might be helpful but that could be dealt with by good airline sponsor deals I would think.

But when operating expenses have a greater impact on team finances than the salary cap, with those clubs with higher transportation and accommodation costs needing higher attendance to break even, that doesn't strike me a parity.

4 hours ago, Initial B said:

But when operating expenses have a greater impact on team finances than the salary cap, with those clubs with higher transportation and accommodation costs needing higher attendance to break even, that doesn't strike me a parity.

I think you are missing something here. It costs the same for York to fly to Pacific as it does vice versa. The travel and accommodation costs for central teams are not that much lower. The two edge teams are paying more because they are not "hubs" of any kind but rather "dead ends" for air travel in Canada.

18 minutes ago, ted said:

I think you are missing something here. It costs the same for York to fly to Pacific as it does vice versa. The travel and accommodation costs for central teams are not that much lower. The two edge teams are paying more because they are not "hubs" of any kind but rather "dead ends" for air travel in Canada.

Travel will drop greatly for teams in central Canada as the league grows. If you have have York, Hamilton, Ottawa, Laval, KW etc those will be bus trips where a team like Winnipeg will have none and the other western teams will be lucky if they have one ie Calgary to Edmonton. Air travel in this country is expensive and the less of it a team has to do the better. On the other hand I think the league will want to avoid junior hockey like travel where a team is going from Vancouver to Calgary or further on a bus. There are instances of USL teams playing two road games in three day or even on back to back nights having done the trip on a sleeper bus. 

15 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

You think Forge are going to bus 5 hours to Ottawa or 6 hours to Laval? That is junior hockey. 

I would not say that for sure, USL teams bus all over the place. You can also take the train, the eastern CFL teams do it a lot between each other. 

Edited by Cblake

I also wonder if you could see a eastern team head out west for two games, play FV on a Thursday and Pacific on a Sunday. USL has done this in the past to save of travel, using sleeper buses when teams had games on back to back nights.  

I mean 16 has to be the magic number in a single table based on our number of playable weekends in a year. To me it makes way more sense to focus on building the second division before you create all the scheduling headaches of nine or eleven clubs. 10 or 12 or 14 is better obviously, but will always take some creativity to create the competition.

13 hours ago, Cblake said:

I also wonder if you could see a eastern team head out west for two games, play FV on a Thursday and Pacific on a Sunday. USL has done this in the past to save of travel, using sleeper buses when teams had games on back to back nights.  

Yes but then the 'home' team fans would complain "Thursday night?!  I can't make it".    

So to be fair the next eastern team travelling west does Pacific on Thursday and FV on Sunday and then it's the turn of fans in Victoria to say "Thursday night?!  I can't make it".      

3 hours ago, Rocket Robin said:

Yes but then the 'home' team fans would complain "Thursday night?!  I can't make it".    

How is Thursday night a problem with so when Wednesday isn't, for fans?

(though I don't know why you wouldn't do Wednesday/Saturday rather than Thursday/Sunday)

I'd say the rush for an eighth team was to cut down on the midweek games as expressed by fans on these message boards and the attendance size at midweek games all of last season.  

I could imagine the schedule this season will be "two games on Saturday and two games on Sunday"  Next week repeat!  

With the time zones in Canada they could all be matinee games.