CPL League Future Format and Table Structure

Initial B

4 hours ago, Initial B said:

But when operating expenses have a greater impact on team finances than the salary cap, with those clubs with higher transportation and accommodation costs needing higher attendance to break even, that doesn't strike me a parity.

I think you are missing something here. It costs the same for York to fly to Pacific as it does vice versa. The travel and accommodation costs for central teams are not that much lower. The two edge teams are paying more because they are not "hubs" of any kind but rather "dead ends" for air travel in Canada.

18 minutes ago, ted said:

I think you are missing something here. It costs the same for York to fly to Pacific as it does vice versa. The travel and accommodation costs for central teams are not that much lower. The two edge teams are paying more because they are not "hubs" of any kind but rather "dead ends" for air travel in Canada.

Travel will drop greatly for teams in central Canada as the league grows. If you have have York, Hamilton, Ottawa, Laval, KW etc those will be bus trips where a team like Winnipeg will have none and the other western teams will be lucky if they have one ie Calgary to Edmonton. Air travel in this country is expensive and the less of it a team has to do the better. On the other hand I think the league will want to avoid junior hockey like travel where a team is going from Vancouver to Calgary or further on a bus. There are instances of USL teams playing two road games in three day or even on back to back nights having done the trip on a sleeper bus. 

15 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

You think Forge are going to bus 5 hours to Ottawa or 6 hours to Laval? That is junior hockey. 

I would not say that for sure, USL teams bus all over the place. You can also take the train, the eastern CFL teams do it a lot between each other. 

Edited by Cblake

I mean 16 has to be the magic number in a single table based on our number of playable weekends in a year. To me it makes way more sense to focus on building the second division before you create all the scheduling headaches of nine or eleven clubs. 10 or 12 or 14 is better obviously, but will always take some creativity to create the competition.

13 hours ago, Cblake said:

I also wonder if you could see a eastern team head out west for two games, play FV on a Thursday and Pacific on a Sunday. USL has done this in the past to save of travel, using sleeper buses when teams had games on back to back nights.  

Yes but then the 'home' team fans would complain "Thursday night?!  I can't make it".    

So to be fair the next eastern team travelling west does Pacific on Thursday and FV on Sunday and then it's the turn of fans in Victoria to say "Thursday night?!  I can't make it".      

3 hours ago, Rocket Robin said:

Yes but then the 'home' team fans would complain "Thursday night?!  I can't make it".    

How is Thursday night a problem with so when Wednesday isn't, for fans?

(though I don't know why you wouldn't do Wednesday/Saturday rather than Thursday/Sunday)

I'd say the rush for an eighth team was to cut down on the midweek games as expressed by fans on these message boards and the attendance size at midweek games all of last season.  

I could imagine the schedule this season will be "two games on Saturday and two games on Sunday"  Next week repeat!  

With the time zones in Canada they could all be matinee games.    

On 2/14/2020 at 3:03 PM, youllneverwalkalone said:

Wednesday definitely a problem going from Victoria (or Vancouver) to Westhills.  

For fans.

Why ... checks map. It's less than 10 miles?

Is transit better on weekend? I'd assume that everyone would be pretty much driving, with such a poor location - even on weekends.

2 hours ago, nfitz said:

Why ... checks map. It's less than 10 miles?

Is transit better on weekend? I'd assume that everyone would be pretty much driving, with such a poor location - even on weekends.

95% of fans in Greater Victoria have to go in the same direction to Westhills. On one single main road, with basically a single secondary option. Alongside those commuting back home to that and nearby bedroom suburbs. 

Traffic is unnecessarily bad in Victoria. Even on weekends when everyone goes in all imaginable directions as long as there is a big-box shopping option at the end of the route. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

52 minutes ago, ted said:

UT paints the picture very well. At the end of the work day it can take an hour to drive that distance. 

Just to add: on weekends you are not pressed and you just go earlier, the ambience at the stadium is excellent so it's worth planning food or a beer there, parking is not the most serious of problems (it could be better but stadium size makes it less hard).

7:30 on a weekday is tough, and at this time of year it's still dark, you are not even enjoying the day while at the stadium. Being a Friday does compensate but even then, not ideal. The match itself will be a great deal though, CMNT and most seating is within a couple of rows, you are going to see our best very close up, a real treat, even the cheapest seats.

I'm happy the league has decided to play most of its games on the weekend.

By my calculations, just 16 of the 112 games are on weekdays and 4 of those are on Canada Day, so the league got it right.  The Wanderers have just two home games during the work week (two on holidays) which will be convenient for the casuals and may boost the walk-up crowd even more.

Edited by Terry_Canuck

On 12/7/2019 at 7:25 PM, Initial B said:

I was assuming that CanPL would be broken into regional conferences with schedule like MLS, where each team plays a team from the opposing conferences once, and the remaining games would be played within their conference, with playoffs seeding the top 8 teams in the league. Say West: Pacific, Fraser Valley, FCE, Cavalry, Saskatoon, Winnipeg; Central: London, Kitchener-Waterloo, Forge, Mississauga, York 9; East: Ottawa, Laval, Quebec City, Moncton/Saint John, Wanderers, St John's. That would be 11-12 games out of conference and the remaining 16 games in conference. No more than 3-4 games per season against each in-conference team.

At 24 teams, you could break into an 8-team, single-table Div 1, and a 16-team, 3 Conference div 2.

What about this when and if the CPL gets to 24 teams:

https://www.theroar.com.au/2020/02/17/a-radical-proposal-for-a-revised-a-league/

and what would be the other 8 teams to get up to 24 teams (outside of the ones you mentioned)??