Initial B

CPL League Future Format and Table Structure

6 hours ago, mtlsab said:

Ive got a couple of concerns regarding the upcoming pyramid, Pro/Rel

Can we create a D2? (lets say 3 conferences) If yes, should we do it ASAP?
Do you believe we can handle multiple provincial leagues for D3? We already have Québec and Ontario, BC is Under construction. Can we have one for Alberta only? One for Sask, Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario? Could we have one for Maritimes only?

My hope/dream would be to build more D3 leagues and get more CPL teams. Then eventually when we hit critical mass, promote a few D3 teams per league and take any would be CPL expansion teams and put them all in a D2 league. Either national or split into two regions. Whatever looks like it might work. And the moment we get that D2 league have pro/rel for all three tiers.

On 11/3/2019 at 7:11 PM, grasshopper1917 said:

Honestly I don't understand people who keep insisting on promotion and relegation in a North American sports league. Let alone a soccer league in Canada. I think 10 years out from now if we have 10 markets that are supporting a fully professional soccer league that will be a massive success.

Promotion and relegation in a geographically massive country like Canada is virtually impossible. No idea why people keep pushing such an idea.

The reason for promotion/relegation is to have two different levels of financial outlay for clubs. Since all clubs are individually owned, there may be points in their existence where they cannot handle the salaries and operating costs associated with that level. I've been reviewing a lot of leagues around the world on Wikipedia and you would be surprised at how many national federations have Div 1 teams that voluntarily drop to a lower division because operating costs got to be too much for them. A Div 2 would give CanPL clubs the ability to regroup and recover costs without completely folding, which is what seems to happen in North American Minor league clubs on a regular basis.

That said, one of the biggest operating costs besides player salaries is the transportation and accommodations issues that have no parallel outside North America except maybe Brazil and Russia. So a lower league would probably have to be regionalized or semi-regionalized. I would break it down as: Div 1 - Air Travel/Hotel; Div 2 - Bus Travel/Motel and some Air Travel/Hotel; Div 3 - Bus Travel/Motel.

In my dream set-up, I would want a 10-team Div 1 with the top 4 teams playing for the championship at the end of the year and the bottom two teams relegated to Div 2. These would be the elite clubs in the nation (outside of MLS) and have the resources to compete internationally as well. For Div 2,  I would want 15-21 clubs divided into 3 regional Conferences (West, Central, East) of 4-7 clubs each, where they play one game against each out-of-Conference club and the remaining games against in-Conference clubs. Top 8 clubs overall compete in end-of-season playoffs for the two vacant Div 1 spots. The relegated Div 1 clubs are placed in their local region to recover their form.  Clubs that are still too financially sick to make it at Div 2 should be allowed to drop down to a regional semi-Pro Div 3, either PLSQ (incl Atlantic Provinces), L1O, or the upcoming western Div3. Any Div 3 club can choose to join Div 2 the following season once they pay an entry fee.

Edited by Initial B

7 hours ago, mtlsab said:

Ive got a couple of concerns regarding the upcoming pyramid, Pro/Rel

You say that like it is happening anytime soon. LOL

At the current rate of "expansion" I don't think we are talking about enough teams for a D2 for a decade or two. ;)

16 hours ago, Initial B said:

The reason for promotion/relegation is to have two different levels of financial outlay for clubs. Since all clubs are individually owned, there may be points in their existence where they cannot handle the salaries and operating costs associated with that level. I've been reviewing a lot of leagues around the world on Wikipedia and you would be surprised at how many national federations have Div 1 teams that voluntarily drop to a lower division because operating costs got to be too much for them. A Div 2 would give CanPL clubs the ability to regroup and recover costs without completely folding, which is what seems to happen in North American Minor league clubs on a regular basis.

That said, one of the biggest operating costs besides player salaries is the transportation and accommodations issues that have no parallel outside North America except maybe Brazil and Russia. So a lower league would probably have to be regionalized or semi-regionalized. I would break it down as: Div 1 - Air Travel/Hotel; Div 2 - Bus Travel/Motel and some Air Travel/Hotel; Div 3 - Bus Travel/Motel.

Promotion/relegation and division 2 are a long way off but if we stop aiming for that we will never achieve it. 

You're right, the only way to make lower divisions work would be to have different regions and have those regions become smaller the further down the pyramid you go.  We're seeing in PLSQ right now that the financial demand of running some of these clubs is more than what owners signed up for and they are opting to move to a significantly lower level of play because of it.  

When the CPL owners feel that a division 2 level can get close to the attendance numbers that CHL teams do I think we'll see it.

to create a D2, should we wait until we have more clubs in D1? or more clubs in D3?
I can harldy believe tha a D2 can be created after we reach a significant number of clubs in D1 (14-18), since the clubs will hardly want to lower down. I would prefer that we stop expanding in D1 to create a D2.