TFC off-season - 2017-2018

Gian-Luca

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I was just looking at FiveThirtyEight's world club rankings and we are an impressive 185th. That is above Cruz Azul (199) and Guadalajara (271) of Mexico and Aston Villa (206), Middlesbrough (218) and Cardiff (220) of the Championship. That is very good for an MLS team that has to deal with salary caps.

10 minutes ago, Jith12 said:

I was just looking at FiveThirtyEight's world club rankings and we are an impressive 185th. That is above Cruz Azul (199) and Guadalajara (271) of Mexico and Aston Villa (206), Middlesbrough (218) and Cardiff (220) of the Championship. That is very good for an MLS team that has to deal with salary caps.

The same ranking has Arsenal at 320.  .  . Not sure who dreamed this system/methodology up. 

6 minutes ago, Boominbooty said:

The same ranking has Arsenal at 320.  .  . Not sure who dreamed this system/methodology up. 

Ummm...

20171231_181503.thumb.png.53edc840312fa1f030ea742aea1daa18.pngIt has Arsenal at 11th from what I am seeing. It is probably referring to one of these many other clubs called Arsenal. It is ridiculous the number of teams that are named Arsenal. They really need to become more original.

3 hours ago, Jith12 said:

Ummm...

20171231_181503.thumb.png.53edc840312fa1f030ea742aea1daa18.pngIt has Arsenal at 11th from what I am seeing. It is probably referring to one of these many other clubs called Arsenal. It is ridiculous the number of teams that are named Arsenal. They really need to become more original.

Fair enough. Missed the top Arsenal! I guess the lesson here is to not get excited if you are being scouted by Arsenal!

32 minutes ago, Boominbooty said:

Fair enough. Missed the top Arsenal! I guess the lesson here is to not get excited if you are being scouted by Arsenal!

Hrmmm, so when they say that David Luiz is going to Arsenal, he may actually be packing his bags for Lesotho?!

17 hours ago, Jith12 said:

http://torontosun.com/sports/soccer/mls/toronto-fc/defender-steven-beitashour-turns-down-offer-from-toronto-fc-likely-headed-to-los-angeles-fc

Looks like Beita is leaving for sure now. Going to LAFC. We've got to be in the market for a wingback to compliment Hasler now.

Michael Petrasso might be a good choice for that position. On TFC he would be able to use his offensive skill while learning more of the LB position if that is where his career is taking him.

50 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

Michael Petrasso might be a good choice for that position. On TFC he would be able to use his offensive skill while learning more of the LB position if that is where his career is taking him.

Thinking the same thing.

We've announced our preseason schedule:

TORONTO FC 2018 PRESEASON IMPORTANT DATES

Monday, January 22 – Players report for medicals at training grounds in Toronto. Team departs for Los Angeles, California.

Tuesday, January 23 – Preseason training begins at UC Irvine (Los Angeles, CA)

Saturday, February 3 – Team returns to Toronto

Tuesday, February 6 – Team departs for Mexico City, Mexico

Wednesday, February 14 – Team returns to Toronto

TORONTO FC – LOS ANGELES FRIENDLY SCHEDULE

Saturday, January 27 – UC Irvine

Monday, January 29 – Cal State Fullerton

Wednesday, January 31 – Club Tijuana (Xolos) at San Diego State University

Friday, February 2 – Los Angeles Football Club at UCLA

https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2018/01/12/toronto-fc-announce-2018-preseason-plans

On 1/12/2018 at 12:09 PM, Jith12 said:

We've announced our preseason schedule:

TORONTO FC 2018 PRESEASON IMPORTANT DATES

Monday, January 22 – Players report for medicals at training grounds in Toronto. Team departs for Los Angeles, California.

This is a week from today - I hope that we hear some news about signings in the interim. I wonder how many un-signed players will be reporting for medicals. Right now, as a whole bunch of Canadian players get signed by the other Canadian MLS teams, there are just 18 players listed on the TFC senior roster.

As reported elsewhere, it looks like Cooper will be a teammate of Juan Cordova in Chile. While Zavaleta is about to re-sign, I don't understand why Endoh is being invited back......he's on an international spot and had been on the league minimum before they declined his option, I don't see how they can sign him for less than the minimum.

http://torontosun.com/sports/soccer/mls/toronto-fc/toronto-fc-eriq-zavaleta-closing-in-on-new-contract-endoh-expected-to-join-reds-for-preseason

I suppose that with Cooper going and Cheyrou gone, it is (until they use TAM to sign another midfielder that is) good news for Chapman's playing time prospects. Also rumblings from Larson that more kids from the youth system will get a shot to sign for the first team (I am guessing Uccello or Fraser maybe have the best shot?)

29 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

As reported elsewhere, it looks like Cooper will be a teammate of Juan Cordova in Chile. While Zavaleta is about to re-sign, I don't understand why Endoh is being invited back......he's on an international spot and had been on the league minimum before they declined his option, I don't see how they can sign him for less than the minimum.

http://torontosun.com/sports/soccer/mls/toronto-fc/toronto-fc-eriq-zavaleta-closing-in-on-new-contract-endoh-expected-to-join-reds-for-preseason

I suppose that with Cooper going and Cheyrou gone, it is (until they use TAM to sign another midfielder that is) good news for Chapman's playing time prospects. Also rumblings from Larson that more kids from the youth system will get a shot to sign for the first team (I am guessing Uccello or Fraser maybe have the best shot?)

Regarding Endoh, I've always believed he has potential. He'll be inexpensive and depth is always good to have. 

Archived