TFC off-season - 2017-2018

Gian-Luca

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, Soccerpro said:

Jay Chapman should really ask for a transfer. Not way he's getting decent minutes this year.

Perhaps.  At midfield there are always going to be more opportunities.   But to me, what you are suggesting applies moreso to Hamilton. At fwd, he is behind the two DP’s and Ricketts. 

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Yeah I know At Bilbao only play Basque players. Similar to Chivas only playing Mexicans. I think it's cool they remain competitive with a limited pool of potential players.

They are not having the best season in the league, but they are in the Europa league and if I recall correctly, he played 5 matches in the group stage, but didn't go a full 90 in any of them. So not great, but not bad. Shows they have some level of trust in him.

He also has a value of 1.8 million pounds (or was it Euros?) On transfermarkt. I know it is largley ficticious and not the best way to judge a player, but at least it's something. That kind of value goes to an MLS starter-type player.

Not saying he will be a starter (if he even signs at all), but I would not be surprised. I checked out his highlights and he looks as clean on the ball as Osorio or Delgado, with perhaps better technique and vision than both.

It is something to get excited about, but lets see if the deal gets done first.

He's not young anymore for At Bilbao, that is the thing. The keeper is a teenager, going to be a major star (Kepa), and they have the rep for bringing up academy players young, sometimes extremely so. 

I know a signing like this is not good for Canadian opportunities, though the idea he might be a sort of squire for Victor Vazquez, or linking Bradley to VV, would suggest there is not any Canadian for that role. 

Objectively it is not bad for MLS to sign young players from major leagues, and it is the sort of signing that, being unexpected totally, shows that TFC are really thinking outside the typical MLS box.

I'm reading that this player is left footed, so I can perhaps see that he might actually be thought of as a replacement for Edwards as a left attacking mid. Right now there is just Osorio & Morgan who are used to playing on the left (albeit in different styles/formations, and Osorio can also play in the middle and the right).

3 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

I'm reading that this player is left footed, so I can perhaps see that he might actually be thought of as a replacement for Edwards as a left attacking mid. Right now there is just Osorio & Morgan who are used to playing on the left (albeit in different styles/formations, and Osorio can also play in the middle and the right).

He definitely looks more like a delgado / Osorio player than a Edwards / morgan player.

Plays more in the centre of the field.

10 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

He's not young anymore for At Bilbao, that is the thing. The keeper is a teenager, going to be a major star (Kepa), and they have the rep for bringing up academy players young, sometimes extremely so. 

I know a signing like this is not good for Canadian opportunities, though the idea he might be a sort of squire for Victor Vazquez, or linking Bradley to VV, would suggest there is not any Canadian for that role. 

Objectively it is not bad for MLS to sign young players from major leagues, and it is the sort of signing that, being unexpected totally, shows that TFC are really thinking outside the typical MLS box.

Even with a salary cap and domestic quotas, this team is probably going to be a buying club going forward, especially with attacking types.  On first glance, this looks like a smart signing for the club.

On February 14, 2018 at 2:50 PM, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

There is a big difference now with discretionary TAM. I am pretty sure Vancouver will not be spending nearly what TFC will be. So TFC will likely have 1 or 2 more starters of high quality, plus the extra quality in the 3 DP positions. It doesn’t seem to make a big difference, but when you think about how many goals came from the DP positions in Toronto compared to other lower spending cities it makes a huge difference. Add in players in on discretionary TAM this year and it will make a huge difference.

i do agree that some teams aren’t smart with their DP positions and TAM though. For example, TFC got Vazquez who then had the second most assists in the league. All in all, money makes a huge difference, but only if it’s spent well.

What is the rationale for Vancouver not spending the $2.8m discretionary TAM annually? To me it's just like the league's salary budget - it should be spent every year by every team.

7 hours ago, Prune_55 said:

What is the rationale for Vancouver not spending the $2.8m discretionary TAM annually? To me it's just like the league's salary budget - it should be spent every year by every team.

To quote Mr Crab...."I loves me money..money money money..ARGHH ARGGHH!!"  Plenty of teams just cant dump another 2.8million into salary without it really hurting their bottom line.  I think thats why its not just a across the board salary increase, then everyone would HAVE TO SPEND IT.  Now big spender teams can bring in min DPs and the other teams can keep everyone on the same salary and claim that they couldnt find the right player to blow the TAM on, or whatever excuse the fan base will believe.  

9 hours ago, Prune_55 said:

It's the owners money that gets spent with TAM. So the rationale is "fuck that, i ain't spendin' an extra $2.8M!"

23 hours ago, jpg75 said:

It's the owners money that gets spent with TAM. So the rationale is "fuck that, i ain't spendin' an extra $2.8M!"

Is it possible that some teams might be holding a chunk of that as a reserve for summer window signings, when there are possibly more and/or better options available from off season European leagues, especially if a big need comes up on the roster (i.e. season ending injury to a key cog)?  It helps a guy like Robbo do another midseason search for a magic bullet solution.

17 minutes ago, Ivan said:

Saw that the TFC U17s (2001 age group) won their region by going unbeaten on the weekend.  Of note, their group included the vaunted FC Dallas academy squad.  TFC U17s will now play in the Champions Group in the Dallas Cup.

https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2018/02/19/2017-18-ga-cup-qualifiers-round-2-recap

Awesome. Team went 5-0-1 to qualify. 5 years in a row TFC U17's have made it into the "Champions Group" of the Dallas Cup.

Unfortunately the U15's didn't fare as well, which is weird considering they are supposed to be stacked with prospects like Nakye Duncan-Green and Luca Accettola.

20 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

Awesome. Team went 5-0-1 to qualify. 5 years in a row TFC U17's have made it into the "Champions Group" of the Dallas Cup.

Unfortunately the U15's didn't fare as well, which is weird considering they are supposed to be stacked with prospects like Nakye Duncan-Green and Luca Accettola.

The TFC u15s, who TDS regarded as a top 3 u15  team in the US/Canada, fail to win a single game. And the u17s who lost to the terrible NE Revolution academy in a scrimmage two weeks ago, go 5-0-1. Even weirder their one loss came to the Fire u17s, who are 2-4-7 in USSDA play, the worst team in the entire tournament. 

So, none of this makes any sense.

4 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

The TFC u15s, who TDS regarded as a top 3 u15  team in the US/Canada, fail to win a single game. And the u17s who lost to the terrible NE Revolution academy in a scrimmage two weeks ago, go 5-0-1. Even weirder their one loss came to the Fire u17s, who are 2-4-7 in USSDA play, the worst team in the entire tournament. 

So, none of this makes any sense.

How do you judge the quality of the NE Revolution academy?

Archived