Canada vs Jamaica post match reaction thread (Sept. 2 2017)

badname22

Think WJ still has a role to play for sure. He has a ton of talent and adds to our depth. Clear we won't go begging to him though as we have other options.

I felt last night was a different Canada than I have watched the last 10 years. All of zambranos ganes have been an improvement. Long may it continue. Passing was crisp, confidence is there in abundance to not onoy go forward but to try different things. Edwards and hoilett play a bit more narrow was inspired, especially given the full back threat (from petrasso at least!). while we have some very dodgy areas where players look to slow, lightweight or out of their comfort zone there are so many positives to build on. 

Not been a fan of Piette. He was an absolute beast yesterday. Very impressed. James had one of his best performances for me too. Always rated AJH he is a total sleeper and I hope he both gets the chances and takes them like last night to become a starter rather than am impact sub. I think he could play with Larin. They are different players. However I like the system and it's working so far. 

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think it hurt to be playing Jamaica for the attendance. I didn't see a lot of Jamaican colours in the stands and they didn't have much cause to make noise, but at one point Jamaica had free kick in a good area and you could hear an impressive roar from their fans. 

That was another great time watching Canada at Bmo field and being able to see the air show and the Ex as well for free was a real bonus. If they made this an annual thing it would be awesome.

12 hours ago, matty said:

Drowned out by Deep Purple & Alice Cooper.....kidding

I think the fact it drew 21,724 against the CNE, FanExpo, Deep Purple & Alice Cooper and Nicky Jam on a night where the Jays were playing is fucking amazing

No offence but I hate this. Wolfpack folks do this all the time as well. 'Considering this was going on and that was going on and the jays were playing attendance was good'

Toronto is a city of over 4 million there is ALWAYS lots going on. There always will be several events going on sports teams will be competing with.

22,000 for a Canada friendly is a very nice crowd. No need to add 'considering A,B,C was going on'

5 hours ago, Scorpion26 said:

Larin didn't play well, but damn no need to have people disrespect him at all.

You aren't entitled to respect because you sort-of tried.

Larin was trash again. Hoilett, who I hate, was so selfish and floppy and frustrating that his multiple great plays and overall fine game were hardly even a joy. Piette was great. Jackson-Hamel was great. Jakovic was good. James needs to simmer down sometimes. I am unpersuaded by Leutwiler's rushes or punches and see no reason for him to start ahead of a Canadian. Glad Osorio stepped up for his hometown fans; it obviously meant a lot to everybody. Edwards was a spark as well.

I haven't seen the second half yet but from what I saw in the first half I felt our upfield defending from forward and mids really exposed how limited the Jamaicans were in that area of the game.  Though it helped that Jermaine Taylor contributed immensely to both of our goals with brain cramp defending, we took them well, especially with Osorio's.  But our defending on that chance late in the first half was left a lot to be desired..  Looking forward to watching the second half on pvr.

32 minutes ago, grasshopper1917 said:

No offence but I hate this. Wolfpack folks do this all the time as well. 'Considering this was going on and that was going on and the jays were playing attendance was good'

Toronto is a city of over 4 million there is ALWAYS lots going on. There always will be several events going on sports teams will be competing with.

22,000 for a Canada friendly is a very nice crowd. No need to add 'considering A,B,C was going on'

The city does but this was a VERY busy day, especially downtown which has a habit of deterring suburbanites.

This isn't "We did pretty good despite everything"
This is "We set records. Fuck all that noise"

SIDE NOTE: Canada as a whole (Men and Women) have won every game in Canada this year

4 hours ago, Benjamin Massey said:

You aren't entitled to respect because you sort-of tried.

Larin was trash again. Hoilett, who I hate, was so selfish and floppy and frustrating that his multiple great plays and overall fine game were hardly even a joy. Piette was great. Jackson-Hamel was great. Jakovic was good. James needs to simmer down sometimes. I am unpersuaded by Leutwiler's rushes or punches and see no reason for him to start ahead of a Canadian. Glad Osorio stepped up for his hometown fans; it obviously meant a lot to everybody. Edwards was a spark as well.

Most people think Hoilett was MOTM and he can only be as instrumental if he continues to play the way he does. Also we got a shutout so not sure what you want from our keeper (and since he is on our team that makes him Canadian...)

12 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

Most people think Hoilett was MOTM and he can only be as instrumental if he continues to play the way he does. Also we got a shutout so not sure what you want from our keeper (and since he is on our team that makes him Canadian...)

I think that Hoilett, Osorio and Piette were the heart of the team.  I liked this new goalkeeper, good position and attentive to the game.  Better than most others.

That was a great game in so many ways but for casual fans who might watch it on TV it was fantastic. The high pressure and speed of the game was a huge plus. Some people I know who aren't soccer fans watched it because there was nothing else on that interested them so they thought they'd check it out and switch around if it was a boring game. They watched the whole 90+. Great promotion for the game in Canada.

52 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

Also we got a shutout so not sure what you want from our keeper (and since he is on our team that makes him Canadian...)

I want him to come out with ability and punch with authority. What puts him ahead of Simon Thomas? I didn't see it.

And he's Swiss.

9 minutes ago, Northvansteve said:

Will Johnson is now so irrelevant to the Canadian team that I don't think we should bother commenting on him anymore.

Not true! He's very much a part of this program. 

It is frustrating though that both times he's, been injured he all the sudden he comes back from it for OCSC....

23 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Other than that, we still haven't learned how to integrate Larin properly into the team - could have had a hat-trick tonight had his teammates either spotted his runs (or hit proper passes when they did spot it).

There was definitely no chemistry between him and Hoillet; in fact, it seemed as if Hoillet was avoiding give him the ball and chose and extra touch or dribble instead

After watching the second half: 

- Piette was strong in his role for the whole match; he's taken his game to the next level

- Larin looks like a guy short of confidence/form;

- Chapman was quite poor in his extended sub appearance.  Like Osorio, he could have made a statement for country and club but really disappointed imo.  Poor giveaways and soft play in 50-50s

- Edwards was far better here than vs Curacao but the final ball didn't seem to be there like it has been for TFC during his breakout season.

- for all the stretches of possession in the second half, how many really quality chances did we create?

- Kaye punched above his weight at LB but I am also reluctant to read too much into it, either.

- big block from Jakovic on that chance resulting from Osorio's errant pass  in deep.  It was one of the few blemishes on the TFC man's day as he did a good job of linking play and even created a nice through ball to Petrasso.  His stock went up after this game.

- Davies?  Up until his card he was off the pace but he's also one of the very few guys in the program who can turn nothing into a big something in an instant.  Bone head petulance but he'll learn from it.

-  Hutch had a savvy performance.  His movement and defensive reading of the game are at an elite level.  Has a big time football IQ gleaned from years of experience in UEFA CCL.  A real pleasure to watch ply his craft in midfield.  Folks should enjoy it while he's still around. 

- I thought Hoillet was better in the first half than the second.  Got the sense when he was on the ball he was looking to make something for himself than create for someone else.  Looked out of sync with Larin:  I wonder if there is more to this?

That's all for now.

Archived