Canada vs Jamaica post match reaction thread (Sept. 2 2017)

badname22

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Solid performance. We made an opponent pay for defensive lapses, which is nice to see.

Hoilett was solid. Lots of nifty footwork controlling pace and creating chances.

Leutwiler played well. Good distribution and some nice saves. Osorio also looked really good.

We can still work on creating chances in the final third, but, for the most part, we were playing really well as a team.

Atmosphere was amazing and the attendance was impressive.

Hope Hutch sticks around a bit longer. Guys could learn a lot from him. Piette was terrific, as was Hoilett. Edwards and Petrasso had some nice moments. Dejan was solid. Adekube gets injured far too easily, it seems.

Guys are starting to build chemistry. Too bad Arfield wasn't there

Here’s my “ridiculously sober because I watched the game from my couch” review.

First and foremost, I didn’t think Jamaica came to play at all. I thought Wileman and Caldwell made a good point about how Zambrano wanted Canada to treat every game like a competitive match, but how it looked like Jamaica were playing a friendly. Canada dominated the first half, but the second half was a bit of a let off. Thought a crowd of 21000+ is fantastic. And to think certain posters were ripping Toronto for not drawing well for this match! Also, was there a concert going on during the match? It sounded like it on the broadcast. And now for some player notes:

Leutwiler – Decent when called upon, which was not much. He has nice hair?

James – Thought his marking was poor on the Williams chance, but otherwise he was the better of the two CB’s.

Jakovic – Great sliding challenge. Outside of that, something about him just doesn’t inspire confidence in me. But, a clean sheet is a clean sheet and he was a part of it.

Petrasso – Thought he was good at getting up the wing, but his crossing really left a lot to be desired. Didn’t notice him on the defensive end much. If he were on the other side, I wouldn't say he's good enough to be a fullback, but we have a need at RB and he seems a better fit long term over Aird.

Piette – Sorry @Moldy9, but you’re going to hear a lot more raving from me about The Bulldog. Thought he was great at breaking up Jamaican possession, and for the most part made smart passes. Started the second goal as well. This guy is a fucking stud at DM.

Hutchinson – Thought he had a typical game, which was one where I didn’t notice him much until he made a fantastic play. Great pressure to start the first goal.

Osorio – I thought he had an uninspiring game outside of his goal, and the 10 minutes or so that followed. Nice finish, which I am sure will help his confidence, although it helped that the Jamaican backline completely stopped playing calling for offside. 

Edwards – I could see the potential he brings in attack, and I thought he was much better tonight than against Curacao, but just needs to bring more quality to make the squad for me. Often, he will make a nice play to get into a good space and then promptly blows it by giving the ball away.

Hoilett – Man of the match for me. Thought he was the best player in attack. His pass to Jackson-Hamel for the first goal was a thing of beauty.

Jackson-Hamel – The guy just knows how to finish in front of goal. Nice flick to set up the Osorio goal as well. Given his form for club and country right now, he should be #1 on the depth chart at forward in my mind.

Larin – He’s just so clunky in front of goal. Desperately needs to get his confidence back.

Adekugbe – FFS, stop getting injured.

Davies – Gotta keep your composure, kid! A rough 6 minutes for him.

Ricketts, Jakovic, de Jong, Chapman, Kaye– Not much of an opinion on any of these players.

39 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Solid performance against an abysmal Jamaican side that showed very little effort.

Hoilett was great...AJH good too.

really only weak performance that I noticed was Larin

Unfortunately,  very true.  Nice performance from what I was able to catch.  Was out of town so I was only able to catch the second half.  The team looked great.   But the lack of effort by the oppositions makes you wonder what we can take from this.

14 minutes ago, hamiltonfan said:

EPIC! 

Where were all our Voyageurs flags and banners?

Drowned out by Deep Purple & Alice Cooper.....kidding

I think the fact it drew 21,724 against the CNE, FanExpo, Deep Purple & Alice Cooper and Nicky Jam on a night where the Jays were playing is fucking amazing

You usually take friendlies like this (two years away from the next non-friendly) to see what you can learn about your team.

I think Zambrano will have learned that Leutwiler looks like a capable option for Canada and I think we learned that Kaye will continued to get called thanks to his versatility - didn't look out of place at all as the third left back of the game.

Davies will have learned that you can't lash out like that because even Jamaicans are capable of clutching their face when not actually struck in the face.

Other than that, we still haven't learned how to integrate Larin properly into the team - could have had a hat-trick tonight had his teammates either spotted his runs (or hit proper passes when they did spot it).

5 hours ago, shermanator said:

Here’s my “ridiculously sober because I watched the game from my couch” review.

First and foremost, I didn’t think Jamaica came to play at all. I thought Wileman and Caldwell made a good point about how Zambrano wanted Canada to treat every game like a competitive match, but how it looked like Jamaica were playing a friendly. Canada dominated the first half, but the second half was a bit of a let off. Thought a crowd of 21000+ is fantastic. And to think certain posters were ripping Toronto for not drawing well for this match! Also, was there a concert going on during the match? It sounded like it on the broadcast. And now for some player notes:

Leutwiler – Decent when called upon, which was not much. He has nice hair?

James – Thought his marking was poor on the Williams chance, but otherwise he was the better of the two CB’s.

Jakovic – Great sliding challenge. Outside of that, something about him just doesn’t inspire confidence in me. But, a clean sheet is a clean sheet and he was a part of it.

Petrasso – Thought he was good at getting up the wing, but his crossing really left a lot to be desired. Didn’t notice him on the defensive end much. If he were on the other side, I wouldn't say he's good enough to be a fullback, but we have a need at RB and he seems a better fit long term over Aird.

Piette – Sorry @Moldy9, but you’re going to hear a lot more raving from me about The Bulldog. Thought he was great at breaking up Jamaican possession, and for the most part made smart passes. Started the second goal as well. This guy is a fucking stud at DM.

Hutchinson – Thought he had a typical game, which was one where I didn’t notice him much until he made a fantastic play. Great pressure to start the first goal.

Osorio – I thought he had an uninspiring game outside of his goal, and the 10 minutes or so that followed. Nice finish, which I am sure will help his confidence, although it helped that the Jamaican backline completely stopped playing calling for offside. 

Edwards – I could see the potential he brings in attack, and I thought he was much better tonight than against Curacao, but just needs to bring more quality to make the squad for me. Often, he will make a nice play to get into a good space and then promptly blows it by giving the ball away.

Hoilett – Man of the match for me. Thought he was the best player in attack. His pass to Jackson-Hamel for the first goal was a thing of beauty.

Jackson-Hamel – The guy just knows how to finish in front of goal. Nice flick to set up the Osorio goal as well. Given his form for club and country right now, he should be #1 on the depth chart at forward in my mind.

Larin – He’s just so clunky in front of goal. Desperately needs to get his confidence back.

Adekugbe – FFS, stop getting injured.

Davies – Gotta keep your composure, kid! A rough 6 minutes for him.

Ricketts, Jakovic, de Jong, Chapman, Kaye– Not much of an opinion on any of these players.

Yeah I'm fine w Piette. I used to lose my shit in the past thinking he was Floros chai boy but seriously he has really turned his game up and earned his spot. I was just a little surprised they'd go give the armband to the new kid after just four games. 

I thought Hoilett was obviously the MoM.  He was dangerous all game both attacking and defending and had some really nice touch passes.

Piette has become our best midfielder I believe.  He played an exceptionally strong game breaking up attacks and and distributing ahead.  The Bulldog may be our team captain going forward.

Overall the aside from the 2 most obvious standouts the team played cohesively in both attacking and defending phases of the game.  We dominated possession and tempo of the game and it was great to see  that there's a true 2 phase system out there.

Larin didn't play well, but damn no need to have people disrespect him at all. He's on a run of bad form and his team well talk to the coach. Larin hopefully in the future will get back to form and until he can prove he's the starter don't mind him ending games from the bench. Not his best years and perhaps he may play another or two full seasons in MLS. 

Davies reacted to what was an excessive tackle in my opinion and like everyone has mentioned he will have to learn from this moment. 

Hoping Tabla and other on the fence players watched the game thinking they can make this team evern better in the future perhaps near future. 

Still wished we had a second game to play this way we can see a different line up. Two games come on not hard to set up....

Overall happy with the win doesn't matter how Jamaica played or what they did in the game because it got Canada a win. Which should be a positive for the next game coming. I believe El Salvador is next so I am excited to see who will be called and the line up.

As many on here speculated "injured" Canadian Will Johnson played for Orlando last night! As much as I like WJ, with the emergence of Piette, the return of Atiba and the addition of Arfield it might be time for the program to move on if he really isn't dedicated to the National Team, anyone else have an opinion on this?

I made my feelings on Johnson clear when he skipped out on Gold Cup. I think this program needs to move past players like him, who are only committed to the national team when it fits neatly into their schedule. Piette and Arfield as the CM duo is the way to go moving forward. 

Also, did anyone else notice that Akindele did not play? I didn't realize it until now. Looks like Zambrano is giving Edwards more of a look at LW over Akindele for the time being.

Archived