Canada vs Jamaica post match reaction thread (Sept. 2 2017)

badname22

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Mike Thompson said:

Not true! He's very much a part of this program. 

It is frustrating though that both times he's, been injured he all the sudden he comes back from it for OCSC....

He did miss Orlando's game last week, so I'm not sure "all of a sudden" is the right phrase.

21 hours ago, Benjamin Massey said:

I want him to come out with ability and punch with authority. What puts him ahead of Simon Thomas? I didn't see it.

And he's Swiss.

And Jakovic is Croatian, James is Dominicanian, Adekugbe is English, Davies is Liberian, Borjan is Croatian, Jackson is Jamaican, and Arfield is Scottish, and numerous other of our players come from other countries as well... last time I checked they all put on a Canadian jersey.

33 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

...Borjan is Croatian...

...a Serb from Croatia. You are treading into dangerous territory with that one. Think that's probably also the case with Dejan Jakovic given he also played for Red Star Belgrade at one point. Agree that people getting picky about who is and isn't Canadian is a bit out of place on a CMNT board given passion for soccer has always tended to be tied into recent immigration to a significant extent.

2 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

...a Serb from Croatia. You are treading into dangerous territory with that one. Think that's probably also the case with Dejan Jakovic given he also played for Red Star Belgrade at one point. Agree that people getting picky about who is and isn't Canadian is a bit out of place on a CMNT board given passion for soccer has always tended to be tied into recent immigration to a significant extent.

Immigration? When did Leutwiler live in Canada?

34 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

So is it ok with you if he starts instead if a Canadian. Since Leutwiler shouldn't on your opinion .

Arfield's only a more complicated case because he's better than the Canadian replacements, which I'm not convinced Leutwiler is. Personally I'd rather use neither, and it's nothing personal.

If they are willing to play for CMNT I just say "Thank you very much" to all who choose to represent Canada. I really could care squat where they or their families come from. Given the number of losses we had for the previous decade we are due some!

12 hours ago, SkuseisLoose said:

I don't think it's official because it's not a match on the FIFA website 

Yea I know and soccerway does not list it as official, however both FAs list it as a proper international friendly. So can someone find out what's going on with this and WHY this isn't going to be recognised if it isn't.

I don't get the Will Johnson bashing on this occasion - are people thinking he got himself injured to take himself off in the first half of an MLS game, then miss another entirely & not be fit enough to start a third as a ploy to avoid being called to the national team for a fairly inconsequential friendly?

IMO, with Orlando in a desperate situation for the playoffs and badly in need of his services, he should have been declining the invite to begin with and would be fully justified in doing so. He doesn't need to prove himself as being capable of playing for the nats, it was as meaningless as a friendly as we're ever going to have and besides, I'd rather have seen Osorio play alongside Atiba for the first time for the nats (as I don't think that's ever happened before) as well as give a chance to the likes of Chapman to see what he can do & get him some international experience than Johnson anyway.

12 hours ago, Benjamin Massey said:

Arfield's only a more complicated case because he's better than the Canadian replacements, which I'm not convinced Leutwiler is. Personally I'd rather use neither, and it's nothing personal.

Stop being an asshole. They are all Canadian citizens.

7 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Just because he has a different than you is no reason to call him an asshole.

He is being an asshole. Are people at his job better Canadians or not based on how long they've been in the country? How about the guy on the bus? What level of canadianism does he need to satisfy our pal Lord Bob? Bob might be a good Vayageur but he's being an asshole when he is putting his opinions out about what constitutes being a Canadian. 

38 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Just because he has a different than you is no reason to call him an asshole.

He's claiming actual Canadians aren't Canadian based on his own personal opinion.

That's a pretty good reason.

1 hour ago, Boominbooty said:

He is being an asshole. Are people at his job better Canadians or not based on how long they've been in the country? How about the guy on the bus? What level of canadianism does he need to satisfy our pal Lord Bob? Bob might be a good Vayageur but he's being an asshole when he is putting his opinions out about what constitutes being a Canadian. 

Is he? He is just voicing his opinion. It's not as if he's contacting Arfield himself, telling him he's not a real Canadian, and even if he was I doubt Scott would give a shit.

1 hour ago, Boominbooty said:

We've had this argument countless times on these boards but I don't think it's unreasonable to prefer players on our national team who have at least lived in this country. As he said, it's nothing personal. It's a principle that I don't expect everyone here to share.

12 hours ago, matty said:

Yea I know and soccerway does not list it as official, however both FAs list it as a proper international friendly. So can someone find out what's going on with this and WHY this isn't going to be recognised if it isn't.

UPDATE: My email to FIFA has worked! The match is now officially recognized by FIFA and we will get ranking points for it! Yes!

Archived