General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

29 minutes ago, matty said:

here's the thing. almost everyone who is against a quota is saying so based on emotion rather than any form of logic that holds up. The only argument that could be had is winning increases local interest and talent similar to the early 2000s Raptors and 2010-now GTA player boom but the problem is none of these teams are anywhere near the early 2000s Raptors in terms of popularity so it's hard to say they'll cause the same effect.

The introduction of a quota is the best way to truly get the MLS teams producing high level talents and saying I want my team to win right now isn't a valid argument.

And that argument holds very little water because Basketball was already very popular in the Afro-Canadian community in the GTA before the Raptors even got here. As i've said ad nauseam it was the introduction of AAU programs a decade ago that has been the catalyst for elite youth prospects to train together, test themselves against their American counterparts and give them greater exposure to American scouts.

Edited by jpg75

Imagine the meltdown and recriminations that are happening over on the US soccer forums!  I'd rather go out the way we usually do than to see both Panama and Honduras overtake us in the last 20 mins in the final qualifier.

And for the record, I'll be a Socceroo for the next two months.

I support the USA team and was a bit shocked to have read the news. Couldn't watch the game because well I don't have Bein sport channel. However this could be a good blessing for USA soccer future, because it can be used to fix up their issues overall. I expect Sunil to be out as President and if he stays that would be shocking. Anyways USA overall WCQ has been piss poor and they didn't deserve to make it overall. Yes New Coach will come in to take the team, but it will be interest who does... Ancelotti anyone...

Any how for Canada will have to learn at what happen to the USA and will have to build the CSA correctly and pushing the button for all Canada teams Seniors to youth. This ConCaCaf can be had by Canada, if they properly build interest, allow OZ to implement ways to improve team, and most important making sure the CPL happens and is extremely stable. CSA needs to unite all branches of provinces soccer leadership into one umbrella. Look into the German football philosophy and create one that will best fit Canada. Heck hire some of those Germans or French officials that have propelled their programs to the highest level. With them also helping create academies for CPL teams. CPL should from the jump have academies started right away in my opinion. Also lots of games period.....

1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

Meanwhile Panama have qualified for the WC for the first-time ever, increasing the number of teams from Concacaf to have ever made the World Cup.

They did it with a .500 record in the Hex and a negative goal differential. To be honest, if Panama can do it, so should we be able to.

Although now it looks like Panama qualified for the World Cup by scoring a goal which didn't even come close to crossing the goal-line, knocking the US out in the process. So that does put a bit of an asterisk beside the "if Panama can do it" statement above....

Vic needs to get VAR into Concacaf WCQ & Gold Cup matches. If there was ever a region that was in need of it, it is this far more than MLS needs it (there at least, it is needed because of incompetency rather than the whiff of corruption).

4 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Although now it looks like Panama qualified for the World Cup by scoring a goal which didn't even come close to crossing the goal-line, knocking the US out in the process. So that does put a bit of an asterisk beside the "if Panama can do it" statement above....

Vic needs to get VAR into Concacaf WCQ & Gold Cup matches. If there was ever a region that was in need of it, it is this far more than MLS needs it (there at least, it is needed because of incompetency rather than the whiff of corruption).

Concacaf would have to pay for each system itself than because I can't see the smaller island nations scooping up money to pay for them themselves. And every nation would need one as it would be considered unfair to those without the system

7 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

I get your point, but in the end they made it to the Hex to make it to the WC 2018. Would it of mattered had it been Canada going through in similar fashion. I wouldn't careless because Canada would of made it and yes a fluke, but in the end Canada made it. Panama made it to next year big cup and congrats to them. 

Let's not forget Chile didn't qualify so it happens.... 

Canada will need to make changes to youth coach look into USL/NASL/MLS or even NCAA coaches.... There are a few Canadian coaches lure them to join the program and help lead the youth teams. CSA will have to create a tournament like USA has done and join the USA tournament often. More games for youth and Seniors both genders needed to increase learning of soccer during games/tourney.....

33 minutes ago, canta15 said:

Concacaf would have to pay for each system itself than because I can't see the smaller island nations scooping up money to pay for them themselves. And every nation would need one as it would be considered unfair to those without the system

I'm sure Concacaf or the bigger nations (the ones that make the semi-final round) can afford it, particularly for the semi-final and final rounds (if they stick with that format). At the very least having it for the last two rounds would be an improvement, as long as it is fair to all teams in each round.

34 minutes ago, Scorpion26 said:

I get your point, but in the end they made it to the Hex to make it to the WC 2018. Would it of mattered had it been Canada going through in similar fashion. I wouldn't careless because Canada would of made it and yes a fluke, but in the end Canada made it. Panama made it to next year big cup and congrats to them. 

Apologies as I hate to do this but I hate seeing "of" used when it should clearly be "have" even more. To answer your question - after getting the shaft so many times through the 90's and the 2000's, I probably would happily take advancement for Canada on a "goal" like that, but I would still be mortally embarrassed by it, and the reputation jokes among the general sports fans would be annoying (ie. Canada can only get in when they start being awarded "phantom goals", etc.)

2 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Tim Howard looks his age......I am surprised that Arena kept going with him and I think it cost them.

I didn't see the T&T goals yet but I thought he looked really poor on that Reyna goal in the Whitecaps game a few weeks back, fwiw.  I'd be curious to know how he'd been at club level since then.

Edited by BearcatSA

1 hour ago, TOcanadafan said:

Honduras only made it to the Hex because Mexico gave them a tie in the final game of the previous round.

They didn't need the tie, they went into the final match day with 3 more points than us and a +4 goal differential, therefore a 1-0 loss would have still got them through.

53 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

I'm sure Concacaf or the bigger nations (the ones that make the semi-final round) can afford it, particularly for the semi-final and final rounds (if they stick with that format). At the very least having it for the last two rounds would be an improvement, as long as it is fair to all teams in each round.

I agree with you that review should be implemented in some sort but, if a country like St. Vincent makes it into the second last round again Concacaf would have to step in and pay for the system if they absolutely want it.

The video review may stop clearly wrong decisions such as this but for the most part I have been really disappointed by its use in MLS. Instead of improving the reffing in close to 50% of the cases I have watched the ref actually makes a worse decision than the original one on the field. I guess when you have incompetent refs on the field having the same incompetent ref make the decision on a video recall does not really improve things. One wonders if the situation would be any different with CONCACAF refs.

I'm so divided on the quota idea for MLS and even in the CPL. See both sides. I am going to question this, you guys keep throwing out the statement that Canadian players in MLS and CPL need minutes and they will get better. Ok I see the thinking and minutes are important but playing against good players/teams is equally important, general statement here " if bad players are only playing against bad players they are not going to get better". I worry a lot of CPL and quality of players it will have because of salary caps and quotas. But hey it could be great and it all works out.

After watching the game vs  El Salvador and the USA shitting the bed, it got me thinking and these questions that keep on popping up. Hey I maybe wrong, but just something to think about 

1) is Canada relying way to much on North American leagues?. Are we missing out on any of Canadian European Club players ? If  you look at some the guys out there, there are some playing really good football right now. Prime example- Massih Wassey 10 games 4 goals and 3 assists, yes that's just one but there more out there.

2) how good is the MLS and Canadian North American club players really? Are we overrating the players because we are fans of the clubs and we watch them play all the time, as we football fans we have been  diluted. Look Arfield take away the Canadian fan bias and what is he? He's a key role player playing on middle of pack EPL team, but you put him on the Canadian team he's way better by a long shot to any other midfielder or maybe even the entire team but maybe Hutch. To me that's the scary part, a mid level EPL player is better then the entire Canadian team. 

3) the Canadian U17 team only MLS academy players but 2 were pick why ? And is that acceptable? By doing that are we creating a disconnect to our Canadian European academy players? 

4) lack of  proper coaching on national teams? . For years Canada/CSA has give amateur coaches head coaching jobs, at all levels, if we start bring in professional coaches will that change things ? 

5) lack games and camps on all levels ? Should the U17 U20 U23 and senior teams, play more more games and have more camps would this help? 

6) lack of countability ? Just watch this video 

we don't really have this in Canada, some of you may disagree but I believed we don't. With the US losing and not qualifying you watch there will be some whole sale changes being made. Here in Canada we don't do that. How is the program going to get better when losing is ok and better luck next time? Hey maybe it's changed now at the CSA but Stalteri is still there. wayne gretzky resign and massive changes happen after the embarrassing loss in the 2006 Olympics. If you lose you gonna go even if were a great player. 

Edited by SpecialK

9 hours ago, Obinna said:

Honduras go to the playoff! Did the Aussies beat out Syria? I am going to enjoy them withering in the Honduran heat. See how they like the Central American treatment...

yeah im not bitter or anything ..... hahaha

So it's Australia vs Honduras?

I hope the Hondurans to play their usual tactics and the world gets to see the kind of diving and time wasting we have to put with.  It would be nice if FIFA tells CONCACAF to get their act together.

In several different forums on this site people have held the Bundesliga and Germany up as an examples of how to run a soccer league and national program. In the interview with Taylor Twellman (thanks SpecialK!) they raise the example of Germany failing to qualify for the World Cup, making major changes by all stakeholders, and then winning the World Cup. Forgetting about the US for a moment, maybe Canada has a golden opportunity to do just what Germany did.

It would take the CSA and CPL to do this. MLS won't (for Canada). CSA as the DFB in the example above. CPL as the Bundesliga, and CPL II (whatever name, but as maybe four regional leagues due to our country's size) as the 2. Bundesliga. Starting in 2019 we could have the German example mostly up and running here. Is it likely to happen? No. But it could.

There are other good sources to delve into the changes made in Germany, but I would recommend reading "The Bundesliga Blueprint" by Lee Price. It's only 174 pages long but clearly shows how Germany turned around their leagues and national program. It does give a balanced view of their programs, noting not all is perfect.

https://www.amazon.ca/Bundesliga-Blueprint-Germany-Became-Football/dp/1910515329/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1507729964&sr=8-1&keywords=the+bundesliga+blueprint

4 minutes ago, RickC said:

In several different forums on this site people have held the Bundesliga and Germany up as an examples of how to run a soccer league and national program. In the interview with Taylor Twellman (thanks SpecialK!) they raise the example of Germany failing to qualify for the World Cup, making major changes by all stakeholders, and then winning the World Cup. Forgetting about the US for a moment, maybe Canada has a golden opportunity to do just what Germany did.

It would take the CSA and CPL to do this. MLS won't (for Canada). CSA as the DFB in the example above. CPL as the Bundesliga, and CPL II (whatever name, but as maybe four regional leagues due to our country's size) as the 2. Bundesliga. Starting in 2019 we could have the German example mostly up and running here. Is it likely to happen? No. But it could.

There are other good sources to delve into the changes made in Germany, but I would recommend reading "The Bundesliga Blueprint" by Lee Price. It's only 174 pages long but clearly shows how Germany turned around their leagues and national program. It does give a balanced view of their programs, noting not all is perfect.

https://www.amazon.ca/Bundesliga-Blueprint-Germany-Became-Football/dp/1910515329/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1507729964&sr=8-1&keywords=the+bundesliga+blueprint

He mentioned their terrible showing at Euro 2000.

3 hours ago, ray said:

So it's Australia vs Honduras?

I hope the Hondurans to play their usual tactics and the world gets to see the kind of diving and time wasting we have to put with.  It would be nice if FIFA tells CONCACAF to get their act together.

It's often 40+ degrees in Australia, and the Asian play-act as much as the Central Americans. Australia will be fine with both. But I am not sure Australia is used to getting doused with bags of piss. That may be a new experience.