General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

On 2017-10-11 at 3:57 AM, Grizzly said:

The video review may stop clearly wrong decisions such as this but for the most part I have been really disappointed by its use in MLS. Instead of improving the reffing in close to 50% of the cases I have watched the ref actually makes a worse decision than the original one on the field. I guess when you have incompetent refs on the field having the same incompetent ref make the decision on a video recall does not really improve things. One wonders if the situation would be any different with CONCACAF refs.

Agreed. The calls have been no better with review, they just add a bit of delay and make it more maddening when you don't get shown a replay of a call or non-call that you think was wrong.

I didn't like the idea of video review before they brought it in (it's much more satisfying to cheer for a goal, rather than the official confirmation of a goal minutes later) and it has managed to be worse than I thought it would be.

6 minutes ago, Kent said:

Agreed. The calls have been no better with review, they just add a bit of delay and make it more maddening when you don't get shown a replay of a call or non-call that you think was wrong.

I didn't like the idea of video review before they brought it in (it's much more satisfying to cheer for a goal, rather than the official confirmation of a goal minutes later) and it has managed to be worse than I thought it would be.

I am not against video review in principle if it is done correctly. The problem is we get the same terrible ref making the video review decision. In the amazing but true category, Toledo, makes even worse decisions from video than he does live on the pitch. If they are going to have worse decisions based on the video then better to just keep it like before. If they did it more like the NHL, impartial judges who can look at the video right away instead of the ref spending time to leave and re-enter the field it could work. I think the NHL does a pretty good job of getting the calls right, MLS video review has been every bit as bad as MLS reffing in general so far.

2 hours ago, Grizzly said:

I am not against video review in principle if it is done correctly. The problem is we get the same terrible ref making the video review decision. In the amazing but true category, Toledo, makes even worse decisions from video than he does live on the pitch. If they are going to have worse decisions based on the video then better to just keep it like before. If they did it more like the NHL, impartial judges who can look at the video right away instead of the ref spending time to leave and re-enter the field it could work. I think the NHL does a pretty good job of getting the calls right, MLS video review has been every bit as bad as MLS reffing in general so far.

It could be that the way it is now is a half step in that direction in order to not upset the purists as much by leaving the decision up to the ref for now.

22 hours ago, matty said:

So going back to Zambrano's "litmus test" comment, what do you guys think his and the CSA's "competitive standard" is? Like what do you think the ranking cut off is?

I have no clue, but my thoughts are that CSA should get all their teams to play more games and against anyone. Get more players into programs and create a system that will be Canadian. I really want Canada to just play and ranking should not matter honestly get any team willing to play Canada. For youth teams more tournaments and create a Canadian tournament that invites other international youth teams. With CPL coming and hoping with academies quickly create tournaments for international clubs to bring in their players to play. Heck have ConCaCaf club academies tournament just our region and if bigger go NA/SA tournament held in Canada.... Shoot ConCaCaf prez is from Canada bring it to Canada... More games that's it.

1 hour ago, Blackjack15 said:

Think of this for a moment and dream: Canada did qualify for the World Cup 2018 in Russia, who would you bring? If you were OZ what would your 23-man roster look like 

Well it all depends on who performed well in qualifying. Has Larin still been shitting the bed? Has Davies continued to be the anti-Larin? Etc

Edited by Guest

4 hours ago, Mike Thompson said:

Canada Soccer are full of incompetent people, that's the truth 

Some what true, but its seems the CSA have been making good moves recently... Except having two games during FIFA dates that's just annoying not to have two games each chance they get. Yes they can get teams to play just call play a two game series or get a second team. Just get more games in each year. Anyways yes, they've made some horrendous decisions in the past and hopefully things are actually going to change for the better. Maybe CSA get the pay to play out the window and with CPL coming each team will have free academies to hopefully bring out unearth gems that would love to play for Canada. Forget the name of the new Prez for CSA, but has he made any statements about his plans for CSA and overall soccer in Canada?

Edited by Scorpion26

52 minutes ago, matty said:

I'm bored....so now that Cristante's gone and our midfield seems kind of a mess for the next little while (assuming certain folks are done) y'all think Wotherspoon will enter the picture?

Would of thought OZ would have called him last friendly so maybe camp poutine perhaps. Will be interesting to see which will get called up for that friendly and maybe we play USA since they're now in the same boat as Canada for WC2018..... Let's hope some Canucks youngsters make the moves towards first team minutes seriously....

22 hours ago, Alejandrogolazo890 said:

I am utterly disappointed myself... I was expecting them to play in the next Did A window date in Nov. Also, part of the plan was to play in every Fifa window date.. That's what Zambrano proposed when he initially was hired and now it seems they are going to be inactive for the latest For A date of the year.... Arrghhh!!!... Wish I could reference that article where Zambrano proposed this and now this promise, for this Fifa date is in jeopardy.... Any idea when the first Fifa date would be next year as it is a WC year?... I really hope CANMNT is in action by the first FIFA date in 2018, particularly if they don't play in Nov. as this is becoming more & more unlikely... Hopefully we schedule something with a Conmebol nation (Perr-rru or Chile are of interest or any other one in fact, but played in Canada and I'm gonna be selfish, but in Toronto... I'll be down in no time, no matter the opponent.. 

#CAPBALLOU&FERREIRA... Spread the hashtag folks.... It'd be cool if we can send a proposal to CSA to schedule a friendly next month 

Gonna say something here but can we all stop with the play in Canada stuff. We're good at home and pretty alright on neutral grounds, what we need is a team that can compete in Central America (or any mainland Latin nation) and some parts of the Caribbean. As crazy as it is, after the Jamaica game (which only beats it because of how high profile it was in the end), the friendly against Bermuda was likely the overall most ideal friendly Canada has played this year in terms of developing this team because it was a road game against a CONCACAF rival, which are what we need and hopefully will be getting a lot more of.

I'm not saying we should stick to road games as money wise hosting makes bank when done right and it helps build the teams home profile, but a decent balance of half here and half away should be how we go about things, this year's 2 home 2 in non-neutral was a pretty good start (you could say we did 3 non-neutrals if you count the Qatar U23 game Zambrano headed).

Hopefully we use Camp Poutine 2018 and maybe the March window against a TnT or Guatamala or even a China or Mozambique on their turf before returning home for May and June games.

Edited by matty

33 minutes ago, Scorpion26 said:

I'm actually wondering which Canadian players will get the CGA contract?

Anyone have clue which play would get it this coming draft and other Collegiate soccer players possibly coming out for next year. 

It's a pretty slim year for NCAA Canadians from the players I've followed. Aymar Sigue and Kamal Miller are the only players who are likely to be drafted, and I'm fairly sure the Caps have Sigue's rights. Dayne St. Clair is the starting GK for a top 5 NCAA team, but he'll likely to spend another year or two at Maryland.

The Canadian GAs will probably come from L1O or USL/NASL.

Edited by harrycoyster

FIFA to look into changing nationality rules

ZURICH (Reuters) - FIFA is considering an overhaul of the rules which govern players’ eligibility for national teams, including a proposal which would allow them to switch allegiance in certain circumstances.

Victor Montagliani, head of FIFA’s stakeholders’ committee, said there were issues regarding the rules, which are aimed at preventing players from switching between national teams or representing countries they have no connection with. 

“There are so many issues that have popped up over the years because the world is changing, immigration is changing,” said the Canadian, who is president of the North, Central America and Caribbean federation (CONCACAF). 

“There are nationality issues that pop up all over the world, in Africa, there are issues in Asia and CONCACAF, so its a good time to have a look at this and see if there are solutions, without hurting the integrity of the game.” 

At present, players who have played a competitive international for one team cannot switch to another national side even when they hold dual nationality. 

The Cape Verde football federation has proposed this rule be relaxed in cases where the player has played only one or two games for his original national side but has no realistic chance of a recall. 

Players are only allowed to represent a country with which they have no blood connection if they have lived and played there for five years, but Montagliani said his committee would look into changing that period and possibly increasing it.

World soccer’s ruling body could also look into a compensation scheme in cases where a player goes through the training system of one country and represents it a youth level before switching to another. 

Written by Brian Homewood, edited by Ed Osmond

Source: https://reut.rs/2xSXwgA 

image.jpeg

1 hour ago, Blackjack15 said:

FIFA to look into changing nationality rules

ZURICH (Reuters) - FIFA is considering an overhaul of the rules which govern players’ eligibility for national teams, including a proposal which would allow them to switch allegiance in certain circumstances.

Victor Montagliani, head of FIFA’s stakeholders’ committee, said there were issues regarding the rules, which are aimed at preventing players from switching between national teams or representing countries they have no connection with. 

“There are so many issues that have popped up over the years because the world is changing, immigration is changing,” said the Canadian, who is president of the North, Central America and Caribbean federation (CONCACAF). 

“There are nationality issues that pop up all over the world, in Africa, there are issues in Asia and CONCACAF, so its a good time to have a look at this and see if there are solutions, without hurting the integrity of the game.” 

At present, players who have played a competitive international for one team cannot switch to another national side even when they hold dual nationality. 

The Cape Verde football federation has proposed this rule be relaxed in cases where the player has played only one or two games for his original national side but has no realistic chance of a recall. 

Players are only allowed to represent a country with which they have no blood connection if they have lived and played there for five years, but Montagliani said his committee would look into changing that period and possibly increasing it.

World soccer’s ruling body could also look into a compensation scheme in cases where a player goes through the training system of one country and represents it a youth level before switching to another. 

Written by Brian Homewood, edited by Ed Osmond

Source: https://reut.rs/2xSXwgA 

image.jpeg

I like how Montagliani announces this just a week or two after Cristiante gets cap-tied. The benefits of having a Canadian VP at FIFA are starting to show!

2 hours ago, Jith12 said:

I like how Montagliani announces this just a week or two after Cristiante gets cap-tied. The benefits of having a Canadian VP at FIFA are starting to show!

I agree.  Nice to have a Canadian sitting at the table.  Very interesting proposals.  However, I hope the eligibility rules aren't watered down further.  Once you are cap-tied at the senior level, it should be permanent, IMO.

I agree with this. Nationalities aren't static, and nations are not immune to demographic or political change. The country you once thought you were representing might no longer be of the same ideals or mentality. It only makes sense that dual nationals be allowed to represent both of their nationalities in these cases. 

1 hour ago, ChrisinOrleans said:

I agree with this. Nationalities aren't static, and nations are not immune to demographic or political change. The country you once thought you were representing might no longer be of the same ideals or mentality. It only makes sense that dual nationals be allowed to represent both of their nationalities in these cases. 

That's kind of where I am at as well.  We tend to think "one country and one country only"- but I suspect that is just what we have been habituated to think is normal.  Not sue whet the best balance would be if changes are made, but I don't assume that the current rules are the best rules.   Lots of people have very legitimate and deep ties to more than one country.  The idea that they be required to make a one-time, binding commitment forever when it comes to footy is not something that is self evident - at least to me.

Any proposed change would obviously have to be judged on its own merit, but I will reserve judgement until we know the specifics of what is being proposed/considered.

17 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

It's a pretty slim year for NCAA Canadians from the players I've followed. Aymar Sigue and Kamal Miller are the only players who are likely to be drafted, and I'm fairly sure the Caps have Sigue's rights. Dayne St. Clair is the starting GK for a top 5 NCAA team, but he'll likely to spend another year or two at Maryland.

The Canadian GAs will probably come from L1O or USL/NASL.

Alright cool is there anyone you think would receive the CGA?

Seems like Canadian players will be light this coming draft for MLS...