CPL General

52 minutes ago, deschamp86 said:

If you want to compare like for like, there are 8 CMNT-capped players who are still active from Brampton (Jonathan Osorio, Junior Hoilett, Cyle Larin, Nana Attakora, Doneil Henry, Jay Chapman, Atiba Hutchinson, Iain Hume)

Also, Kenny Cooper hasn't played in two years. So I guess Brampton wins?

Well you left out the other points I made. And are we seriously going to compare those two lists of players? The players coming out of Brampton aren't close to the quantity or quality we are seeing from Dallas.

There is no shame in that. Dallas is a juggernaut. 

On your list, you have a guy at Pachuca (Mexico) and Bournemouth (England). From Brampton, I'd rank Hutchinson (Turkey) and Hoilett (Wales) top from Brampton.

No need to "exaggerate" how much of a juggernaut Dallas is. They are both good

58 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

Well you left out the other points I made. And are we seriously going to compare those two lists of players? The players coming out of Brampton aren't close to the quantity or quality we are seeing from Dallas.

There is no shame in that. Dallas is a juggernaut. 

When it comes to raw talent, it's still no contest Brampton wins hands down. Pipeline? Sure, opportunities for Canadians in MLS makes it difficult for anyone except the truly exceptional to get a shot. Once the CPL rolls out, the type of talent Brampton has will truly come to light.

Edited by Macksam

The original point was about whether existing academies and community clubs would rally behind or be a good existing system that could support CPL, and I sure do hope so. Has there been anything official about Hamilton and Sigma? I don't think so right, but definitely the kind of things to keep an eye on.

I think generally for the most part that you will see lots of support initially from the get go. But if/when CPL clubs do eventually foster up to the level when they can consider creating their own academies, you may definitely seem some turf battles later on. I do think that the Fury Academy were in some major turf battles with other Ottawa youth academies/clubs for sure, before the Fury shut it down. It's a good problem to have though.

Edited by ironcub14

24 minutes ago, deschamp86 said:

I didn't think it was fair to compare FC Dallas' academy to the city of Brampton, which has no professional team to develop players and about 10x less population

55 minutes ago, Macksam said:

When it comes to raw talent, it's still no contest Brampton wins hands down. Pipeline? Sure, opportunities for Canadians in MLS makes it difficult for anyone except the truly exceptional to get a shot. Once the CPL rolls out, the type of talent Brampton has will truly come to light.

My point wasn't that Dallas is better per capita than Brampton. I was pointing out that Canada doesn't have a city like Dallas or LA where MLS caliber players grow on trees. Brampton doesn't produce the talent Dallas does guys, I can't believe this is even an argument. You can make a starting XI of players from Dallas that is pretty unarguably better than our entire national team.

Jesse Rodriguez; Greg Garza, Omar Gonzalez, Drew Moor, Gringo Torres; Kellyn Acosta, Weston McKinnie, Emerson Hyndman; Lee Nguyen,Clint Dempsey,

40 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

So no CPL will have an academy ? A little disappointed.

Nobody has said that.  Only Halifax has said they won't have one at start publically.  Realistically though I wouldn't expect much in the way until the league is established.  It'll be relations through provincial groups and local academies like SEA suggested in the pod interview.  Makes financial sense at the start.

4 hours ago, deschamp86 said:

If you want to compare like for like, there are 8 CMNT-capped players who are still active from Brampton (Jonathan Osorio, Junior Hoilett, Cyle Larin, Nana Attakora, Doneil Henry, Jay Chapman, Atiba Hutchinson, Iain Hume)

Also, Kenny Cooper hasn't played in two years. So I guess Brampton wins?

don't mean to but in, but if anyone could tell me more about Brampton(like what the city is like), I would really appreciate it.  

:D

5 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

My point wasn't that Dallas is better per capita than Brampton. I was pointing out that Canada doesn't have a city like Dallas or LA where MLS caliber players grow on trees. Brampton doesn't produce the talent Dallas does guys, I can't believe this is even an argument. You can make a starting XI of players from Dallas that is pretty unarguably better than our entire national team.

Jesse Rodriguez; Greg Garza, Omar Gonzalez, Drew Moor, Gringo Torres; Kellyn Acosta, Weston McKinnie, Emerson Hyndman; Lee Nguyen,Clint Dempsey,

Per Capita? I doubt that. A city with a metro of 7 million versus Brampton's rough half a million?

6 hours ago, Rheo said:

Nobody has said that.  Only Halifax has said they won't have one at start publically.  Realistically though I wouldn't expect much in the way until the league is established.  It'll be relations through provincial groups and local academies like SEA suggested in the pod interview.  Makes financial sense at the start.

Academies cost a lot. Likely some will have pay-to-play academies entered in their local provincial top league. Others will sign some sort of agreements with local leagues. Right now Whitecaps FC gets all the BCSPL players they want for their academy (if the player accepts). It will be very interesting to see what will happen with a Whitecaps-CanPL relationship in regards to youth recruitment. The CPL team will surely get the players Caps don't lose but imagine Caps then paying a transfer fee/compensation when they realize they've missed a player!? Will be beautiful.

18 hours ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

don't mean to but in, but if anyone could tell me more about Brampton(like what the city is like), I would really appreciate it.  

:D

Hard to layout exactly what defines the city because it does have more of a suburb feel and its a pretty big geographical area. It has some nice parks in Gage Park and Chingacousy Park, used to be considerd the "Flower town of Canada" before urban sprawl and has a rich floral history from what I've read. Its called Flower City and has a Rose on its city logo. Its very multicultural and home to a significant Sikh and South Asian community. I think any hypothetical crest/ kit concept should be something colourful

Edited by Argentina_111

4 hours ago, Red Renaissance said:

Hard to layout exactly what defines the city because it does have more of a suburb feel and its a pretty big geographical area. It has some nice parks in Gage Park and Chingacousy Park, used to be considerd the "Flower town of Canada" before urban sprawl and has a rich floral history from what I've read. Its called Flower City and has a Rose on its city logo. Its very multicultural and home to a significant Sikh and South Asian community. I think any hypothetical crest/ kit concept should be something colourful

The flower city thing is almost a remnant of the past, no? I know there used to be a huge emphasis on tulips due to a large Dutch expat population, but the city now has majority Indian and Pakistani population, no? 

I'd you're looking for symbolism for the city, I imagine identitying with those cultures would be reasonable, but it would probably be pretty easy to come off as insulting without direct input on how that symbolism would be handled

Edited by Complete Homer

3 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

The flower city thing is almost a remnant of the past, no? I know there used to be a huge emphasis on tulips due to a large Dutch expat population, but the city now has majority Indian and Pakistani population, no? 

Pakistani? No. 

Indians, with Punjabi Sikhs being the most significant like Argentina pointed out above, but its still far from a majority. There's a certain area called Springdale that is probably 95% Punjabi Sikh, but everywhere else is quite diverse with a good mix of everything, including Punjabis, other south Asian groups, Jamaicans, other Caribbean people, Italians, Portuguese, Filipinos, Chinese, Latin Americans, other European groups and Africans.

Edited by Macksam

On 6/16/2017 at 1:30 PM, Complete Homer said:

I'd you're looking for symbolism for the city, I imagine identitying with those cultures would be reasonable, but it would probably be pretty easy to come off as insulting without direct input on how that symbolism would be handled

Regardless if it is or not, it's the best I've got to work with for now.  

Pretty much 100% of the time I've seen folks try to play too much to a immigrant population it has feel flat on it's face (Chivas USA anyone?)

24 minutes ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

Regardless if it is or not, it's the best I've got to work with for now.  

Pretty much 100% of the time I've seen folks try to play too much to a immigrant population it has feel flat on it's face (Chivas USA anyone?)

You can take my detailed breakdown of Brampton as gospel pretty much. I live here.

When it comes to your second point, I agree 100%. Catering (I cringe at the thought of what some marketing dick head would try to pull) to one section of the populace would be incredibly dumb. 

Edited by Macksam

1 hour ago, Macksam said:

You can take my detailed breakdown of Brampton as gospel pretty much. I live here.

When it comes to your second point, I agree 100%. Catering (I cringe at the thought of what some marketing dick head would try to pull) to one section of the populace would be incredibly dumb. 

can you tell me anything more about it?

Just a general question for you Macksam or anyone else, I would love a quick primer on how Brampton became such a dominant force in Canadian footy and basketball. I have a stupid simple guess, just one of many factors for sure, but I'll put it out there, has there been a lot of influx of residents from Etobicoke and northwestern North York into Brampton over the last 50 years? And what was the role of the creation of Bramalea in all this? Thanks in advance.

Edited by ironcub14

19 hours ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

can you tell me anything more about it?

The flower still holds some weight when it comes to symbolism. Despite the city trying to carve its own distinct identity, Brampton is very much a bedroom town for the majority of white collared workers. Commuting to Mississauga or Toronto for work is what the university educated tend to do here. However, we do have a few industrialized locations that employ the blue collared with regards to labourers, manufacturers, construction workers, skilled trade, truckers and of course auto workers. Branding after them might be beneficial.

10 hours ago, ironcub14 said:

Just a general question for you Macksam or anyone else, I would love a quick primer on how Brampton became such a dominant force in Canadian footy and basketball. I have a stupid simple guess, just one of many factors for sure, but I'll put it out there, has there been a lot of influx of residents from Etobicoke and northwestern North York into Brampton over the last 50 years? And what was the role of the creation of Bramalea in all this? Thanks in advance.

You are right with regards to the influx of families from uptown Toronto. The cheaper housing (at the time) and living in quiet, uneventful and safe (for the most part) was and somewhat still is the appeal. I hope people don't get offended or get all SJW on me but, both sports (especially for basketball) have benefited from the fact a lot of those families that came were Canadians of Jamaican descent. I don't want to sound too biased, but the city has benefited from the influx of black athletes. Not saying that's all that matters as there are white, brown and Asian kids that are just as athletic, but in this day and age, on average, they have a pretty good track record of claiming to be the best. 

Edited by Macksam