CPL General

4 hours ago, Ansem said:

Demographics? over 65% in Brampton aren't white, so more likely kids will choose sports like Basketball and soccer over hockey

Yeah, and even the ones that are of European descent, whatever that tends to be, likes the sport to. 

Oh yeah, the Census data definitely backs up what you're saying about Jamaican-Canadians and other black families moving into Brampton over the years. I was also wondering if some of the youth clubs in the city were also doing something special to stand out in terms of quality compared to many other parts of Canada or something.

We're all seeing Sigma reap their benefits recently, but I was also wondering if clubs like North Mississauga or a Brampton youth club were doing something special before the kids went on to TFC and became some of the Canadian internationals that we all know. Definitely one of the hotbeds of Canadian soccer at the moment. And for sure a Sauga CPL side could benefit hugely.

Seems like a good time to quickly point out that Rob Ditta's created a twitter account for the Sauga boys, at @SaugaSG, I believe!

Edited by ironcub14

3 hours ago, ironcub14 said:

Oh yeah, the Census data definitely backs up what you're saying about Jamaican-Canadians and other black families moving into Brampton over the years. I was also wondering if some of the youth clubs in the city were also doing something special to stand out in terms of quality compared to many other parts of Canada or something.

We're all seeing Sigma reap their benefits recently, but I was also wondering if clubs like North Mississauga or a Brampton youth club were doing something special before the kids went on to TFC and became some of the Canadian internationals that we all know. Definitely one of the hotbeds of Canadian soccer at the moment. And for sure a Sauga CPL side could benefit hugely.

Seems like a good time to quickly point out that Rob Ditta's created a twitter account for the Sauga boys, at @SaugaSG, I believe!

I think the environment also has a big thing to do with it. Kids play the sport here for fun, in their spare time and that's somewhat of a rarirty in English speaking North America. It's the best way to develop IMO considering you're having fun and no coach/parent is barking orders at you. Brampton has a great break up of parks and recreation in between the suburban sprawl so there is ample space to play, all within walking distance no matter where you live in the city.

Another graph explaining the timing of CPL and the reason why CFL is backing it.

DCtxA-KXsAQLisu.jpg:large

• Hockey still being the #1 sport being watched in Canada across all generations
  • Millenials are the generation that are the biggest fans of soccer, WAY MORE than Gen X and boomers. The number almost DOUBLES from generation to generation since the boomers
  • Football is on a sharp decline as new generations arise, even baseball is more watched by Millenials than football for the first time ever. Millenials are heavily credited for the Jays incredible attendances and might I add, awesome atmosphere at the Rogers Centre
  • Football is on the path to be less popular than even basketball among Millenials. Talks of NBA interested in returning to Vancouver starts to make sense while NFL being turned off by a Canadian team is probably wise.

So it makes sense for CFL, having seen the data, to want to be part of the rise of soccer in Canada. They also see that both sports attracts 2 different demographics. In a sense, they are confident that a soccer team won't hurt the football teams while providing an opportunity to attract Millenials to football and vice versa for older generations to soccer.

Hence, I'm not surprised they are willing to invest lots of capital into the league to make it a success with the highest quality possible. Now more than ever, there's money to be made in Canada in professional soccer and most likely, our kids will be much bigger fans than all of us. The time is now for CPL!

Edited by Ansem

13 minutes ago, Ansem said:
Another graph explaining the timing of CPL and the reason why CFL is backing it...

Only two of nine CFL franchises are on board at the moment and the CFL are not doing anything soccer related as a collective entity, because there is an alternative more negative way of looking at those numbers from a CFL standpoint in which having credible pro soccer teams in your market is the last thing you want to happen with the Argos being the poster child for where things could wind up for them (i.e. Grey Cup tickets forming part of pizza giveaways, while in contrast MLS Cup can sell out in minutes).

21 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Only two of nine CFL franchises are on board at the moment and the CFL are not doing anything soccer related as a collective entity, because there is an alternative more negative way of looking at those numbers from a CFL standpoint in which having credible pro soccer teams in your market is the last thing you want to happen with the Argos being the poster child for where things could wind up for them (i.e. Grey Cup tickets forming part of pizza giveaways, while in contrast MLS Cup can sell out in minutes).

Both sports serves 2 different demographics. Even with CPL not existing until next year or in 2 years, CFL failed to win over Millenials. CPL or not, seems like it won't make a difference, football is in decline in Canada.

As for the Argos, they should focus on a location where their fans are, which would be in the suburbs and easy to get too. Putting the team at BMO in the heart of urbanites (mostly Millenials), at a location so difficult to access by cars that most boomers wouldn't bother driving too, let alone use transit, was a horrible decision.

Argos needs to move in the suburbs and retain the name Toronto

I think those Sportsnet numbers are a little suspect. Just looking at the TV ratings alone. The CFL numbers are still very strong in Canada well ahead of anything (besides hockey). The implication here is that football is dying, which suits the Sportsnet narrative since they don't own a stake in the game at all. 

I know concussion talk and minor football numbers are down (likely because it's so expensive), but there is still a clear path for a player to go professional in Canada...and many kids aspire to that. 

I really think that's the beauty of the CPL, as long as there's a clear path to follow to play professionally and a clear path to do so, from grassroots to CPL and beyond you'll have a fan base. The beauty of soccer is that the world is united in it's importance, so you also have the international aspect (playing for your country) that you don't really have in gridiron football.

8 minutes ago, LAK said:

I think those Sportsnet numbers are a little suspect. Just looking at the TV ratings alone. The CFL numbers are still very strong in Canada well ahead of anything (besides hockey). The implication here is that football is dying, which suits the Sportsnet narrative since they don't own a stake in the game at all. 

I know concussion talk and minor football numbers are down (likely because it's so expensive), but there is still a clear path for a player to go professional in Canada...and many kids aspire to that. 

I think the way I read the numbers is that football is less popular than previous generations. As boomers then X pass away, football will decline, however as of today, due to our population high life expectancy, CFL does still have strong numbers. But you can't ignore that if CFL doesn't figure out how to draw Millenials and the next generation, decline will be inevitable.

Edited by Ansem

53 minutes ago, Ansem said:

I have no clue...anonymous people maybe?

The generation before baby boomers was known as the 'silent' generation. So mostly like people who would be 80+

I really think that's the beauty of the CPL, as long as there's a clear path to follow to play professionally and a clear path to do so, from grassroots to CPL and beyond you'll have a fan base. The beauty of soccer is that the world is united in it's importance, so you also have the international aspect (playing for your country) that you don't really have in gridiron football.

They check out to me. CFL TV ratings being strong makes perfect sense with that graph. Millenials and Gen Xers are the ones dropping TV packages for online sources, so programs that attract them will see lowering viewerships, while programs that have strong followings from Baby Boomers would remain strong ratings-wise while the younger generation cable cuts. 

This would explain why CFL ratings are remaining strong while the graph still remains true.

The big takeaway from it is that the CPL will need creative techniques to get strong viewership, and won't be able to rely on cable TV ratings like the CFL can. The NWHL recently announced that they are on board with Twitter streaming, which surprised me as I assumed it would be the bigger leagues to jump on that first. This development makes me personally think it would be something to highly consider for the CPL (and I've seen such discussions on it in the past).

Edited by Diamondium

17 minutes ago, Diamondium said:

The generation before baby boomers was known as the 'silent' generation. So mostly like people who would be 80+

Thanks for that!

Seems the silent's kids (post war) fully embraced American leagues (NBA, MLB, NFL/CFL) over soccer which declined under the boomers.

28 minutes ago, Diamondium said:

Intuitively, that would square with the figure skating numbers.  And golf.  Would have been interesting to see curling numbers in the mix - I find it hard to believe that they wouldn't be larger than the rugby numbers. 

@Ansem @Diamondium makes sense. I guess I have trouble buying into the doom and gloom of CFL's aging fan base because you don't see that at live games, you see demographics all the way from kids to their grandparents and everything in between. I also don't think the Argos are dead at BMO Field. I think it will slowly build up again, because their numbers have always been up and down throughout history.

One of the biggest benefits that the CPL has in terms of television audience is the fact that it is Canadian. When the Blue Jays are hot, they're super hot and ratings follow, but when they're struggling ratings drop off significantly. It's the same with the Raptors. Owning rights to teams like that can be great, but it can also be a disaster. The CFL numbers are always strong...because there are always interested, engaged fans in the country. Even Hockey isn't immune to this. We have 7 teams in the NHL, but last year when no canadian teams were in the playoffs, numbers dropped significantly (still good because it was hockey, but not the billion dollars that sportsnet paid kind of good).

We saw that with the Impact and TFC last year, the numbers were great. How often are those teams going to be contenders to win it all? Every 10 years? The CPL once established will always have interest throughout. It shouldn't be as big a risk from a broadcaster's perspective.

2 hours ago, Ansem said:
Another graph explaining the timing of CPL and the reason why CFL is backing it.

DCtxA-KXsAQLisu.jpg:large

That really is an intriguing chart for the future of footy in this country.  It squares with what we have probably all intuitively seen - that a significantly larger portion of young people are into footy than are into lots of other sports.  In terms of CPL prospects, that has to have potential owners salivating at the idea of a strong, core cohort of viewers that will "consume" the product for decades to come.   

21 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

That really is an intriguing chart for the future of footy in this country.  It squares with what we have probably all intuitively seen - that a significantly larger portion of young people are into footy than are into lots of other sports.  In terms of CPL prospects, that has to have potential owners salivating at the idea of a strong, core cohort of viewers that will "consume" the product for decades to come.   

The world's 10th economy is up for grab for soccer. Wouldn't be surprised if more foreign investors show up at some point

9 minutes ago, red card said:

Good find by Ansem. Sportsnet has some additional tidbits here.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/infographic-sports-watching-habits-havent-changed/

Looks like CPL will have a tougher time in SK & MB as soccer is ranked 4th. Probably only 2 provinces where football dominates hockey.

Thanks Red,

I have good news regarding SK & MB, especially Saskatchewan

According to the latest census, also can be found her in Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_census_metropolitan_areas_and_agglomerations_in_Canada

Western agglomerations have the strongest population increase. Regina and Saskatoon have an 11% increase while Winnipeg is growing the same rate as Vancouver and most of the GTA.

Usually that's due to

• outside international immigration (Mostly soccer fans)
  • internal immigration (Millenials are much more mobile and willing to change provinces example: they went west during the oil boom)
  • We just had a "mini baby boom"

http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/canadas-latest-baby-boom-caught-experts-by-surprise-in-part-because-our-birth-rate-is-declining/wcm/6b9a6ee1-d682-44d2-b084-9195f7c6062f

Especially in the west

http://www.calgarysun.com/2017/05/03/baby-boom-cradles-calgarys-place-as-canadas-youngest-city

Safe to assume they will be future soccer fans:)

That graphic that Ansem posted is interesting, but I would note that it appears to only be showing numbers for a person's primary sport that they watch. So I would be represented as being someone who watches soccer and only soccer, even though I also watch several other sports.

So it's possible, for example, that some sports will have supporters cluster together. For example, maybe there is a lot of overlap between hockey fans and football fans, or soccer fans and basketball fans, or whatever the case may be. So the graphic shows that soccer is the second most popular primary sport for millenials, but that doesn't confirm that it's the second most popular among millenials. Maybe soccer fans tend to only watch soccer, and maybe the "big 4" leagues share a lot of fans, so a big chunk of those 40% of people that are hockey fans might also be football fans, etc.

Still an interesting graph and does show hope for the future of soccer. Although it is interesting to note that another infographic on the link that red card posted shows that the numbers for "watched growing up" and "watch today" is flat for soccer, but interestingly enough is growing for football. So football seems to be gaining viewers in people's adult years, so maybe they can still convert millenials yet.

Another interesting thing to note, the graphic about Manitoba and Saskatchewan preferring football over hockey shows some insight in to what the CPL could potentially do for Atlantic Canada. No doubt the driving force behind Saskatchewan and Manitoba's numbers is the fact that Saskatchewan has never had an NHL team but have had the Roughriders, and Manitoba didn't have an NHL team for 15 years in the recent past but had the Blue Bombers that whole time. Every other non-Atlantic Canada province has had at least one NHL team and at least one CFL team for over 30 years.

If Halifax (and any other Atlantic Canadian cities) does get a team in CPL, they have a chance to drive interest a lot as the only pro sport of note in the region.