Canadians are domestic league wide in NASL

shermanator

Great news! Hopefully this means more Canadians will be signed to NASL before the start of the season. http://www.nasl.com/news/2017/02/02/nasl-announces-rule-change-regarding-canadian-players

The NASL announced a change to its roster rules on Thursday, stating that Canadian players will now be considered domestic on the rosters of American clubs.

With the new rule in place, any American or Canadian player on an NASL roster will count as domestic and therefore will not affect a club’s international player tally.

“Canadian players have played a big role in the development of our league on the field,” NASL Interim Commissioner Rishi Sehgal said. “We believe that this change will help us become better contributors to the growth of the game, not only in Canada, but in the U.S. as well.”

The new roster rule has already gone into effect, and any Canadian players signed to American clubs prior to the rule change will now be considered domestic.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Just reinforces how BS MLS domestic excuses are

MLS is afraid that Canada's superior domestic talent will displace Americans and Canada MNT will eclipse them in quality again like pre-1990. We should celebrate when Canada eliminates the US from 2022 WC qualifying.

I wonder if the CSA leaned on them at all?  Seems like this came out of the blue, but it should be in time to get some unattached guys roster spots.  Funny after years of promising changes Garber and MLS come up with their BS complicated rule change.  Hopefully they will see now just how easy it will be to clear it all up and make CDN domestic in MLS too!  

3 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

I wonder if the CSA leaned on them at all?  Seems like this came out of the blue, but it should be in time to get some unattached guys roster spots.  Funny after years of promising changes Garber and MLS come up with their BS complicated rule change.  Hopefully they will see now just how easy it will be to clear it all up and make CDN domestic in MLS too!  

Again, MLS knows Canada will surpass the US and they don't want another country eliminating them from the WC. If Canadians are domestic in MLS the quality will dramatically improve but American players will be seeing the field much less.

39 minutes ago, Macksam said:

Next time Don has a press conference here, he should get drilled with this and just plain and simply asked why.

Yeah, it seems that NASL overcame those huge legal hurdles that prevented MLS from doing this for the last 10 years.  Weird.  Almost like Garber wasn't really trying...

1 hour ago, Kent said:

Great news! I think. To be perfectly honest, part of me is a bit worried all of these good domestic player rules from this off season is going to dilute the CPL talent pool if/when it comes.

i'm not too worried. i think the mls teams will stick to their current crop and academy guys. the nasl and cpl will likely be going after some of the same guys (current nasl, older mls cuts) but the cpl will likely look to the best younger guys in canada's regional leagues and canadians playing overseas.  when it comes to the types the nasl and cpl would both be looking into, the cpl will likely have more cash on their side if ownership and cap reports are true.

1 hour ago, Kent said:

Great news! I think. To be perfectly honest, part of me is a bit worried all of these good domestic player rules from this off season is going to dilute the CPL talent pool if/when it comes.

More economic demand for Canadians will always be a good thing. If Rollins last report was correct, the initial domestic quota won't even be particularly impressive, so I don't think it will hurt CPL quality much

11 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

More economic demand for Canadians will always be a good thing. If Rollins last report was correct, the initial domestic quota won't even be particularly impressive, so I don't think it will hurt CPL quality much

Exactly, this is great news. It's an alternative option that gives Canadians TWO leagues to play in. Also I have a feeling the minimum CanCon CPL quota will be higher than 3-4, likely between 25 and 30% of a 25 man roster (Rollin's claims were like 12-15% and also seemed to be negotiable).

5 minutes ago, matty said:

Exactly, this is great news. It's an alternative option that gives Canadians TWO leagues to play in. Also I have a feeling the minimum CanCon CPL quota will be higher than 3-4, likely between 25 and 30% of a 25 man roster (Rollin's claims were like 12-15% and also seemed to be negotiable).

I have a feeling we are going to end up with a low quota but some creative rules to help it out, like allocation for young Canadians, etc. Just my gut feeling. It will be interesting to see how the negotiations pan out. 

I see this as a pretty great move. It gives the guys that are already of a decent calibre somewhere they can play, in addition to the MLS/USL stream, that will help them to further improve their skills. With CPL launching in 2018 or 2019, this is a great spot for some guys to go for a year or two in order to increase the initial quality of CPL play using domestic players. I think NASL used USL's ability to count Canadians as Domestics, even though they're now a D2 league, to push for the same status since it unfairly restricted their ability to sign quality players.

I don't really see it as being aimed at damaging CPL. I see it as an attempt to take away USL's advantages while the NASL continues to attempt to regain the confidence of USSF & fans in order to establish itself as the American D2. Of course, this continues the American soccer wars, but unless the USSF actually does something to solidify a pyramid, those aren't likely to end anytime soon.

Myself and someone else over in the CPL thread we're thinking this move was meant to be more friendly than sinister towards the CPL. NASL might be doing this to keep Canadians active until the league starts and to make it easier for CPL clubs to scout talent maybe to protect FCE from isolation and get the NASL back into the CSA's favour.

There's a fair bit the NASL can gain from helping out.

7 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

1) Don Garbage is full of shit - well you already knew that.

2) The day that Canadians count as domestics in MLS, NASL & USL I see no need for the CPL. (Others will disagree)

CPL needs to exist for its own sake - we are one of the few countries on the planet without a domestic league. The CMNT benefits are byproducts

5 hours ago, matty said:

...but the cpl will likely look to the best younger guys in canada's regional leagues and canadians playing overseas...

Even when we have been told that they want a domestic quota of 3 or 4 players? Think the reality is that the domestic player issue is now pretty much irrelevant as an argument for needing a domestic pro league, although it would be good from an optics standpoint to get MLS to go all the way like the NASL and USL have done.

Archived