2016 Canadian MLS clubs offseason thread

shermanator

For TFC coming into this season I think Chapman for the first time will be starting this season with expectations to start sometimes and always have a chance to come of the bench in games he isn't starting. Hopefully Raheem Edwards will do enough to convince the coaching staff he deserves playing time in MLS. I think he should end up on the senior roster.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Ashtone Morgan get more starts this year since last year Justin Morrow played a lot and ended up with some fitness issues. I wouldn't be surprised if they manage his playing time. Osorio and Ricketts should maintain their positions. I think Hamilton and Babouli are at risk of losing their chance to be the fourth and fifth striker if TFC bring in any other attacking options.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

With training camps set to open is there any Canadians who should start to see a lot of playing time? By this I mean not established guys, but some of our youth start to break through and get a good run of games rather than spot starts.

Jackson-Hamel will get more playing time this year. If Cameroon wins the African Cup of Nations, Aron Mkungilwa could get a good amount of playing time in Montreal. He has to beat Anthony Wallace for a first team roster spot, but it's possible. Crépeau should play V's Cup games this year from what I've read. I don't know what they will do with Tabla. Especially with the U-20 qualifiers, he won't be with the team a lot and it could take time for him to get a start.

9 minutes ago, Blackdude said:

Jackson-Hamel will get more playing time this year. If Cameroon wins the African Cup of Nations, Aron Mkungilwa could get a good amount of playing time in Montreal. He has to beat Anthony Wallace for a first team roster spot, but it's possible. Crépeau should play V's Cup games this year from what I've read. I don't know what they will do with Tabla. Especially with the U-20 qualifiers, he won't be with the team a lot and it could take time for him to get a start.

I would hope Crepeau can get a handful of starts with the Impact in MLS play in addition to Voyageurs Cup games. Don't know if 6 is too much given Bush's record in past years?

Mkungilwa is a name I wasn't expecting to read here. Can anyone who watched FC Montreal more regularly give more info on what to expect from him? I don't recall him standing out in the games I watched.

19 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

Was Cardiffs U23 so Hoilett wouldn't be there.

Also looked like from the highlights that they played 3 halves, did anyone else see that?

There is a ridiculous justification from Robbo saying it was better to play a team that was game fit instead of other MLS teams at 60% in preseason level. So Wales over Arizona. Totally illogical and lame excuse for going to Wales, so he can have an extended holiday  and the team can play reserve squads with hardly any motivation.

You cannot play friendlies vs full teams during a season, they are never going to give it all. You have to play teams in a similar situation as you, at least the rival players are striving for a spot.

We signed Reyna from Salzburg and that is about it, Robbo says he is aiming to win the Concacaf Champions but there is absolutely no indication from signings that he has the least intention of doing anything to make that happen. Very pessimistic going into this year. 

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Also looked like from the highlights that they played 3 halves, did anyone else see that?

There is a ridiculous justification from Robbo saying it was better to play a team that was game fit instead of other MLS teams at 60% in preseason level. So Wales over Arizona. Totally illogical and lame excuse for going to Wales, so he can have an extended holiday  and the team can play reserve squads with hardly any motivation.

You cannot play friendlies vs full teams during a season, they are never going to give it all. You have to play teams in a similar situation as you, at least the rival players are striving for a spot.

We signed Reyna from Salzburg and that is about it, Robbo says he is aiming to win the Concacaf Champions but there is absolutely no indication from signings that he has the least intention of doing anything to make that happen. Very pessimistic going into this year. 

Too early to be so pessimistic, no? And listen to the postmatch player interviews: this was an intense, fast-paced and physical game. It sounds as though Cardiff gave them exactly the game that Robbo figured they would. I've a strong feeling that WFC will be the best of our Canadian MLS squads this year, especially if Gio leaves for China (which I hope does not happen). I will at least reserve judgement on the Caps until we see how they are looking by mid-season.

9 minutes ago, The Beaver said:

Too early to be so pessimistic, no? And listen to the postmatch player interviews: this was an intense, fast-paced and physical game. It sounds as though Cardiff gave them exactly the game that Robbo figured they would. I've a strong feeling that WFC will be the best of our Canadian MLS squads this year, especially if Gio leaves for China (which I hope does not happen). I will at least reserve judgement on the Caps until we see how they are looking by mid-season.

Disagree, Beav. Too late to be pessimistic, imo. Dreadful season last year. No signings. Trotting out Hurtado's new contract and David Norman Jr. as big newsdays to drive up seasons tickets sales?

Robbo's already said they may have to wait until the European transfer window for big signings which is the towel thrown on the floor in January in my book. Piss poor and not helping if, as fans, we sit back and act as if he's (or, more likely, the front office) earned the benefit of the doubt. I like him as a manager but also reserve the right to question a team with very little success on the pitch or in a development capacity.

There was a great tweet last week saying something to the effect of, The rest of the Western conference shops at Whole Foods while whitecaps shop at No Frills.

I actually believe we will do better than last year, by a few points, just because we had some hapless defending I can't believe we'll repeat. And Manneh will stay healthier and that will help too. But this is a very unambitious squad, if we were in any other league in the world you'd say it is designed to try to not relegate, it is just enough to not be the worst. 

Robbo bullshitting and literally falsifying reality in the face of fans, when hanging out with his drinking buddies in Wales, is really poor and shows the FO has really lost it.

59 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Nolando, I do miss you but have to say, that pic of you on the front page buddying with Cyle Larin is starting to wear on me. Unless you tell us how the little affair worked out in the end I am going to ask Jamie to change it!!

You'd hate the 5 foot by 7 foot enlargement in the master bedroom then. mate.

On 2017-01-28 at 9:11 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

Nolando, I do miss you but have to say, that pic of you on the front page buddying with Cyle Larin is starting to wear on me. Unless you tell us how the little affair worked out in the end I am going to ask Jamie to change it!!

Off topic, but: Oh Shit, that's Nolando?  Completely different from what I had pictured.

23 hours ago, Ruffian said:

Cheyrou is back with TFC. Depth like this was the reason they were able to stay higher in the standing throughout the season during injuries and international call-ups.

Maybe I am forgetting something but wasn't Cheyrou out for a big block of time while Bradley was out? And wasn't the good backups actually Chapman, Delgado and some of the other younger kids?

Archived