2016 Canadian MLS clubs offseason thread

shermanator

A little snippet in this article about Sergio Camargo signing an HGP deal with Toronto FC. I know he was highly rated for some time (#1 in the PDL Top Prospects list), but his stock dropped over the course of his senior year.

http://www.sportingnews.com/soccer/news/mls-talking-points-the-market-for-landon-donovan-the-next-crop-of-homegrown-players-and-more/1nqqlsf1t22y11rgeqc00q4i7z

Toronto FC is still waiting on an answer from U.S. Under-17 standout Ayo Akinola after offering him a homegrown player deal, but sources tell Goal USA Syracuse midfielder Sergio Camargo has agreed to a homegrown deal.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always liked what I saw from Camargo for both the U17's and the TFC academy though it has been years since I have seen him play. Glad they are signing another Canuck especially with Johnson gone but this won't address the d-mid issue they currently have as they are quite thin their right now with losing Johnson, not re-signing Cheyrou (at least so far) and not even having Manella waiting in the wings. Perhaps the plan is to move Delgado there as the understudy to Bradley - I don't see the other central minds currently on the roster (Chapman, Osorio and Cooper) as being suitable in that role.

It was interesting that Kudo was a guy who had scored a lot of goals in J1 really did not seem to be at the level to play at MLS from what I saw of him. Obviously it is only one guy so not enough to draw a conclusion from and maybe he just could not adapt to the style but still it does seem that MLS has improved to a point that many players from outside the top few leagues will often struggle unless they are a dominant player in that league.

Valid point Griz but it could be his supporting cast. After Octavio left they were trying Kudo up top but still passing like they had a 6'2", 190 pounder up there. They are hoping Barnes works out or whoever else they sign.

On 12/31/2016 at 8:47 AM, Grizzly said:

It was interesting that Kudo was a guy who had scored a lot of goals in J1 really did not seem to be at the level to play at MLS from what I saw of him. Obviously it is only one guy so not enough to draw a conclusion from and maybe he just could not adapt to the style but still it does seem that MLS has improved to a point that many players from outside the top few leagues will often struggle unless they are a dominant player in that league.

Thing is, you cannot ignore the coaching factor. Robinson has never coached in a way to favour a striker, ever. Every damn striker under Robinson underperforms, it's like he sprays them with coachroach killer in practice and they come out moribund in games.

Our only "efficient" system under Robbo has been Manneh running at defenders and come what may. It is probably not a bad system, not really how Caps fans want it but I accept it. Then you could have Techera doing that a bit. Rivero was efficient as a target, especially nabbing goals playing on the counter away, for about 4 months. But there is really no attacking system, our most successful season, 2015, was based on a defensive system, with the back line and keeper being efficient and professional and not making mistakes, then a goal any which way you can and the win. Our away record proved this. 

We had the MLS leading scorer one year, and he broke in from behind the target as a second striker or attacking mid, and had freedom of movement. Since Camillo we have not repeated that formula, and only one player is remotely close to doing the role, Bolaños. Robbo has never played a real 4-4-2 because if you are countering you have speed getting you up to the front line, you are not getting there by developing play through possession. Our possession was, this last year, pathetic. No system to get the ball forward effectively to give strikers a chance. 

I feel sorry for Barnes, Greig, Hurtado, the lot of them. Not one of them really has a hope under our current coach.

Nik Martineau tweeting that there is a Spanish report indicating Saputo and Piatti are meeting tomorrow to discuss a transfer from Impact to Boca Juniors. Boca is not mentioned in the Tweet, but is in the replies. Martineau mentions that the rumours are purely in the Argentinian media, nothing mentioned in Montreal.

I really hope that is not the case for the Impact, he's been the best player in club history, hands down. Should have been MLS MVP last year.

It seemed to me (this year) that the two best players in the league played for Canadian clubs.   It was a joke that neither got mentioned for MVP honnors.   This article seems to concur. 

http://www.espnfc.us/club/montreal-impact/9720/blog/post/2997683/ignacio-piatti-is-the-most-undervalued-player-in-major-league-soccer

This (plyer and club recognition for Canadian based teams) has always been one of the problems with professional leagues in North america in sport such as Basketball and Baseball.   In these sports, if you play for CND clubs, its as if you dont exist in the eyes of americans.  MLS, unfortunately, is no different.

On 2017-01-07 at 10:37 AM, shermanator said:

Just kidding! There was no meeting between Piatti and Saputo. He will play with the Impact.

You are evil. You read a lot of Calvin and Hobbes when you were young, didn't you?

That is great to hear for Montreal.

Impact have re-signed Eric Kronberg. http://www.impactmontreal.com/en/post/2017/01/09/impact-comes-terms-new-deal-eric-kronberg However, this key piece of information in the article should not be overlooked, as it sounds like Crepeau has the backup keeper role going into 2017:

He will push our first two goalkeepers, Evan and Maxime, to excel throughout the next season.”

According to this article in the Toronto Sun, Edwards, Fraser, Uccello, Johnson will be in the first team camp this preseason (if the latter three aren't with the U-20's). Also Daniels and Maletic may be there as well.

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/01/05/speed-the-name-of-the-game-for-tfc-after-quick-off-season

Expect to see up-and-coming TFC II product Raheem Edwards in camp alongside the first team — as well as striker Ben Spencer.

The duo will be looking to earn a first-team deal along with TFC II players Liam Fraser, 18, Luca Uccello, 19, and Malik Johnson, 18, whose availability this winter will depend on whether they’re with the Canadian under-20s.

Vanney also mentioned TFC Academy player Marko Maletic, 17, and Aidan Daniels, 18, could join the Reds for preseason.

4 hours ago, shermanator said:

According to this article in the Toronto Sun, Edwards, Fraser, Uccello, Johnson will be in the first team camp this preseason (if the latter three aren't with the U-20's). Also Daniels and Maletic may be there as well.

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/01/05/speed-the-name-of-the-game-for-tfc-after-quick-off-season

No Hundal?

3 hours ago, shermanator said:

I'm not sure if google translated this correctly but "for his farewell tour in 2017" sounds like he's hanging up the cleats after one more season. Hope he has a great one to finish his career.

2 hours ago, TRM said:

I'm not sure if google translated this correctly but "for his farewell tour in 2017" sounds like he's hanging up the cleats after one more season. Hope he has a great one to finish his career.

I think that we'll learn more soon. I remember hearing from his father on the radio that he wanted to play 2 more years, and the Impact wasn't too keen on that, The question was whether the Impact was going to give him an option for the second year and from the looks of it, it looks like that the club didn't.

10 hours ago, Big_M said:

He's already slow and will slow down more, wouldn't be able to play at this level next year.

As of today, Bernier can more than handle himself on the pitch at the MLS level. He thoroughly dominated Michael Bradley in both legs of the Eastern Final. Don't know if that will be the case 9 months from now, but Bernier hasn't declined too much as of yet.

Archived