2016 Canadian MLS clubs offseason thread

shermanator

5 hours ago, shermanator said:

As of today, Bernier can more than handle himself on the pitch at the MLS level. He thoroughly dominated Michael Bradley in both legs of the Eastern Final. Don't know if that will be the case 9 months from now, but Bernier hasn't declined too much as of yet.

Agreed.  The man has played his best football in the last two years when it mattered most.. in the playoffs.  

Why you wouldn't want a club legend who is still effective in big games is beyond me.. especially because you can't really see any Quebec talent coming in and being close to him in the near future.  Wouldn't be surprised to see him in 2018 as well.. if he has another year like last how could they say no?  

A player like Bernier to me is so much more than just a name on the team sheet, he represents the tie between the club and city.  Like an Alan Shearer for Newcastle. 

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Larson reporting in the Toronto Sun that Raheem Edwards is closing in on signing a first team deal with TFC (presumably replacing Lovitz spot on the roster). 

Well deserved. TFC does have a logjam of young attacking players now, especially when there are so few minutes to go around with Giovinco and Altidore entrenched. 

TFC have only 20 players signed leaving 8 spots open.  Apparently Cheyrou is coming back leaving 7 open, with Edwards making it 6.  According to Larsen, TFC still have cap trouble so i would expect a few more academy signings to round out the 28 man roster with lots of shuffling back and forth between the first team and TFC II.  I would imagine at least one of their draft picks gets signed as well. 

Jakovic would be a great pick up for TFC who desperately need some quality at CB if they're going to continue with the 3-5-2/5-3-2 they've been using.  I think Dejan would thrive in the current system, he's extremely fast for a CB (not many people recognize this but during his time at DC United his teammates voted him as fastest player on the squad) and very technical for a CB as well.  I think his main strength is his ability to step up a line and make a play once in a while but in a 2 man partnership that was always tough to do.  

Zavaleta and Hagglund are the weak points of the current XI and behind them the depth is even weaker.  Hagglund had a shocker in MLS cup anytime he touched the ball.  

2 hours ago, Keegan said:

Jakovic would be a great pick up for TFC who desperately need some quality at CB if they're going to continue with the 3-5-2/5-3-2 they've been using.  I think Dejan would thrive in the current system, he's extremely fast for a CB (not many people recognize this but during his time at DC United his teammates voted him as fastest player on the squad) and very technical for a CB as well.  I think his main strength is his ability to step up a line and make a play once in a while but in a 2 man partnership that was always tough to do.  

Zavaleta and Hagglund are the weak points of the current XI and behind them the depth is even weaker.  Hagglund had a shocker in MLS cup anytime he touched the ball.  

That's an interesting idea. He would seem to be a good match with Moor in terms of their relative strengths. I don't think this has been discussed much but TFC also seem to be high on Mitchell Taintor at TFC2, whom they kept over Skylar Thomas.

9 hours ago, snake said:

Is this the caps next DP?

Omar Al Somah

Trying to role the dice on a random pick up like they did with Camilo?   I dunno, I thought we were finally going to see some real quality up front with the next signing, not another guy who isn't even a league leader in a league equal or lesser to MLS.

An another note, I had a dream last night that we are going to sign Arfield as our new attacking MID.

17 hours ago, snake said:

Is this the caps next DP?

Omar Al Somah

Goal a game plus type striker in the Saudi league. We'll have to see how that translates in MLS. 27 years old so the right age. 6'4" in height. Looks interesting.

3 hours ago, shermanator said:

I like the looks of this guy but, c'mon, Techera, Bolanos, Manneh are already a surplus of servicable MLS wingers. Froese was once going to get a whiff as well. We need one or two proper strikers and a quality playmaker, not more spare parts. 

Very unconvincing off-season for the Caps. And this from a team that has one of their most meaningful matches of their MLS era in exactly one month.  Still trying to figure out what the attack will look like months after a disappointing end of the season? Shambles, really.

1 hour ago, nolando said:

I like the looks of this guy but, c'mon, Techera, Bolanos, Manneh are already a surplus of servicable MLS wingers. Froese was once going to get a whiff as well. We need one or two proper strikers and a quality playmaker, not more spare parts. 

Very unconvincing off-season for the Caps. And this from a team that has one of their most meaningful matches of their MLS era in exactly one month.  Still trying to figure out what the attack will look like months after a disappointing end of the season? Shambles, really.

He is a striker who can also play wing so he is likely being brought in as a centre forward. He did pretty well in the Austrian Bundesliga when loaned to a lower table team but his performances have been less convincing with Red Bull in both Austria and Germany leading to less playing time. That could mean he lacks quality at the top level or that he is a good player who will do well with playing time and an offence built around him. On the face of it a decent signing that could go either way.

17 hours ago, shermanator said:

When we really should be breaking the bank, so to speak, and signing Soriano, who is the top scorer in Austria and one of the leaders in Europe over the past 3-4 years. I doubt he is making a million euros, which is what we've paid for less proven players. 

Barnes up top and Yordy playing in behind would make sense but we'd have to play the 4-4-1-1 for that to work. I guess the question becomes is this the year that Robo learns that the 4-5-1 isn't the only formation in creation? I'm only half jesting on that one. We've played a 4-4-2 occasionally with some success so maybe this is the year we get less predictable. Dare to dream.

I'm looking forward to the 2017 salary report to see how much he is paid. I doubt he will be a DP.

Archived