2016 Canadian MLS clubs offseason thread

shermanator

Ok, didn't know the rule about the 3 internationals. Not quite sure why that's a rule, but TFC have so few international players Endoh gets protected by default, which seems a bit silly but I guess it is what it is.

Eric Hurtado being protected for Vancouver seems a strange choice to me - not really sure anyone else wanted him given how "prolific" he's been.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, AvroArrow said:

I find it odd that Irwin was not protected.  He seems to have been the first keeper in a long time to provide some consistency between the posts.  I don't know if TFC has had that since the Stefan Frei days (oddly enough).

Minnesota has Cameroonian goalie who has played internationally, Atlanta rumored to be after Guzan.

1 minute ago, Ruffian said:

I hope they offer Q a new contract and give him a chance at that backup spot.

I hope so too. Larson tweeted that he didn't think the club had any intention of bringing him back, but then he also tweeted that he didn't think Irwin was going to go anywhere (and tweeted that he didn't think the club thought he would go either) - and was proven to be wrong about that (unsurprisingly so - this shouldn't have come as a surprise, it was the first thing that jumped out off the page when the lists were drawn up).

He also tweeted that Cooper is fully owned by TFC now, no longer a loan player.

From the MLS website

"There'll be a couple of pre-arranged trades that we did that will get announced later today," said Atlanta United president Darren Eales. "We feel the balance we've got here is picks that will give us help for the future and give us flexibility in those final roster spots, as well as some key components for Tata as he builds his team."

And Caps just acquired Sheannon Williams from Houston for GAM. Sounds like a solid option at right back, and something that had clearly been in the works. 

The big question: Are the Caps hunting for a DP to replace Pedro? I like what Bolanos has to offer, but I am not sure he is the right guy in the middle. 

8 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Impact's Donny Toia is the first player picked in the expansion draft, by Atlanta. Looks like they agreed with Grizzly's analysis of this player's quality.

Yes I am sorry to lose Toia and so are a lot of Impact fans judging by comments on social media today. I think it was a mistake for Biello not to bring him back into the starting lineup after he came back from injury so that we could put Camara back at CB in place of Cebrara. I certainly would have protected Toia over Cebrara. Still Duvall seems like a pretty good replacement for Toia although he plays on the other side but both he and Camara can play on the left as cover for Oyongo. I am also really surprised to see Atlanta then trade Toia to Orlando for Orlando's 1st round Superdraft pick (8th overall). He is a starting MLS left back and Superdraft picks are pretty hit and miss. One would think an expansion team would rather have a proven MLS starter who is pretty cheap instead of taking a change on a number 8 Superdraft pick. Good deal for Orlando.

Not sorry to see Venegas go, he showed flashes of talent at time but really did not do very much in his time in Montreal and was earning too much for what he was producing. 

8 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

Whitecaps have signed GK Spencer Richey (91) and F Kyle Grieg (90) to MLS contracts.

http://www.tsn.ca/whitecaps-sign-gk-richey-striker-grieg-to-mls-contracts-1.634886

I don't know, something annoying and cynical about signing a FWD who's going to be 27 next season from your USL squad.

Could be to show that there is a path to the rest. Now they will have to perform at the MLS level when they get their chances or they will end up like Clarke and Carducci. Spend some time mostly training with the first team and move on.

As a Caps fan I am just so happy we don't have a league-leading scorer we'll lose Jan 1st because our FO could not pay attention to a simple contract, and were too cheap to offer him a deserving new contract when it mattered. This means the off-season should be really pleasant and we are hardly likely to be disappointed. 

Robinson apparently believes that because he got to Champions quarter finals playing the USL guys, he owes it to them to keep doing so. Nice guy, what faith in your squad.

Montreal ships out Shipp for allocation money. His first two games for us he played really good and we thought we stole one from Chicago but after that he was average to poor. Not sure what happened, maybe he will do better in Seattle but I did not see a lot from him potential wise but if you asked me after the first 2 games I would have had a different opinion so maybe he does have some potential. Good to see us clearing out some of the guys on the roster who were below standard opening up some salary cap and roster space for hopefully players who will be better and/or academy graduates.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/12/22/seattle-sounders-acquire-midfielder-harry-shipp-montreal-impact

Archived