2016 MLS Eastern Conference Final - Impact vs TFC

shermanator

9 hours ago, dsqpr said:

Now that I've watched it again it does look more incriminating than it did to me originally. However, the player goes down very easily and from the TV replay you cannot see how much, if any, contact Altidore actually makes with his hand, which is the key to whether it was a foul. 

The ref wasn't going to call it. Cabrera wanted it called. When I watch the clip I feel pretty confident that goal should have been called back for a number of incriminations (Jozy's right arm is clearly pulling Cabrera's jersey forward and earlier in that same play Jozy also kicked Cabrera's foot, which lead to the ball being where it was). Saying that, Cabrera wanted it and clearly took a tumble.

I thought it was pretty revealing that when Drogba came on he started absolutely pushing around the TFC defenders. He saw what Jozy was getting away with and copied it.

One thing I feel like that hasn't been talked about much is that in a salary capped league, this has got to be one of the bigger underdog stories. Montreal's salary is 6m which is basically what TFC pays Giovinco. TFC pays their three DPs 18 million, which I am pretty confident is all of Montreal's entire operating expenses including academy. It's incredible that Montreal has made it this far and not only that, has so far giving TFC a run for it's money.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

There is no way the Impact keep TFC off the scoresheet at home.  I can see them bagging a couple with the home crowd behind them and the familiar pitch.  The real trick will be to keep the impact from grabbing a goal or two on the counter.  I think if they can get back to an effective pressing game where everyone defends as a team, they will pull it off - but they need Bradley to rediscover his mojo for the full 90 minutes.

@dyslexic nam sorry, found this point kinda funny. Do you remember the last TFC-IMFC game at BMO? Down to 10 men and TFC still couldn't score. I am not entirely sure of field sizes, but I think the Big O pitch is wider than at BMO... which helps the Impact clog the middle like they did earlier this year.

I am just going on recent form.  They have an absolutely killer striker in Gio, a great supporting cast, embarrassed New York, and just banged in two in a hostile environment when many teams would have simply given up in what appeared to be a lost cause. 

You may be right, but I think the odds are much stronger that TFC grab a goal or two next week.

19 hours ago, dsqpr said:

Ha ha, I thought the ref was excellent! Sure there were some robust challenges but it was never a dirty match that needed to be controlled so I think the ref did right to keep the cards in his pocket. I get so tired of self-important referees flashing cards every 5 mins --- it does nobody any good.

As for the Altidore push, they showed one angle on TV once where it looked like a push and another angle multiple times that showed there was nothing to it and the ref got it right.

Obviously he missed the trick headed back pass but at the end of the day I feel as though the match was decided by the players not the ref which is often sadly not the case.

I give the ref 8/10.

Interesting perspective. 

I felt there were a few in the first 10 mins or so that were worrisome but I'd have to watch again. I think my new pet peeve is players take a piece of the man as the go by. I hate when the tone is set to allow for a more physical game. Too physical? Many would say no I'm seeing.. 

Meh. Ok I get it. I even made a statement about the field line debacle but seriously there's been way too much attention especially from the Toronto media taking away from the game. Seeing Landsburry and the other tool from TSN who probably didn't even watch the game joke about it makes me think these hockey snobs relish this just out of spite and to discredit soccer and don't focus on how it was an entertaining game. 

Also i find the Toronto media to be too overly confident. But that's good. I hope TFC think the same. They were like that before the first leg. All Impact need to do is draw or just score 2 or 3 goals which I don't see as impossible and that will put pressure on TFC. I think part of TFCs comeback Tuesday  was because the Impact took their foot of the gas pedal thinking it was a done deal. Even Cabrera with his hot dog crap like he was at Copa Cabana and Biello taking too long to adjust their game properly plus TFC getting lucky with Cabrera being taken down when he tried to clear the ball out of the box.  

The flip side to that argument is that TFC might feel confident because they admittedly played very poorly for at least a half but still came out of the game just a goal down and with two away goals, so they are probably thinking that if they play well on a game that's on grass, it should be a much different story. The latest Neil Davidson article (link below) has quotes from Vanney which might support that notion. And for those of us who voiced our suspicions that the turf may have caused a number of TFC players such as Giovinco to play tentatively (as though they were mindful of not getting hurt), there's also some post-game support for that in the quotes in this article:

http://www.tsn.ca/toronto-fc-call-big-o-turf-dangerous-1.616148

6 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

The flip side to that argument is that TFC might feel confident because they admittedly played very poorly for at least a half but still came out of the game just a goal down and with two away goals, so they are probably thinking that if they play well on a game that's on grass, it should be a much different story. The latest Neil Davidson article (link below) has quotes from Vanney which might support that notion. And for those of us who voiced our suspicions that the turf may have caused a number of TFC players such as Giovinco to play tentatively (as though they were mindful of not getting hurt), there's also some post-game support for that in the quotes in this article:

http://www.tsn.ca/toronto-fc-call-big-o-turf-dangerous-1.616148

I definitely agree nothing was given completely to TFC although I do believe IMFC got a little complacent + Biello not making adjustments when Vanney did. Vanney is a bright technician. He made a great move by bringing in Johnson and Ricketts to give some life to the team. Biello I find is not a bad manager himself but sometimes doesn't make the subs and tactical adjustments as fast. He's still learning. Can't be as bad as Klopas who was predictable and never deviated or adjusted. 

As for the players being more nimble than usual I completely agree as I mentioned in an earlier post. Even though to the average fan or curious onlooker the game Tuesday may have come off as a memorable spectacle I feel the poor field turf hampered the game and didn't bring out the best abilities not just of Giovinco but of other players like Piatti and Drogba.  Instead of playing at 100% full throttle it was if they were at 70-80% of their potential. 

On 24/11/2016 at 2:38 AM, Yohan said:

Thanks for that, m. 48, 100% an indirect free kick. I have never seen it called but as I say studied it clearly a few years ago, don't know why that was. Perhaps the ref being a long ways away and the linesman as well, with no real advantage to the play, made them relax about it. The keeper could have kicked out from outside the box or the defender too, with a similar advantage. But it was a clear technical error.

7 hours ago, Moldy9 said:

I definitely agree nothing was given completely to TFC although I do believe IMFC got a little complacent + Biello not making adjustments when Vanney did. Vanney is a bright technician. He made a great move by bringing in Johnson and Ricketts to give some life to the team. Biello I find is not a bad manager himself but sometimes doesn't make the subs and tactical adjustments as fast. He's still learning. Can't be as bad as Klopas who was predictable and never deviated or adjusted. 

I think Biello doesn't make the tactical adjustments as fast because he has Callum Mallace or Venegas as his only other options. I mean, we can talk about how great the Monreal bench is because of Drogba, but this last game was exactly what I thought would be Montreal's struggle. They have a well oiled unit that starts the game but after that it gets really difficult for Montreal. I mean, TFC brought on Johnson for Cooper. Johnson gets paid more than Laurent Ciman.

Even Ricketts makes more than most of Montreal's bench, the exception being Drogba.

15 hours ago, Moldy9 said:

I think it's more that Vanney is maybe learning from his experience, such as last year's tactical set up which had defensively challenged RB Jackson and RM Findley dealing with Piatti. 

Wasn't sure where to put this, but jumping the gun a little, I'm not a supporter of either club, but I'm ready to back the Eastern Conference champions in full voice. I loathe Seattle and am contemplating going to the final — regardless of outcome.

Does anyone know when MLS Cup final tickets go on sale? Is there somewhere I should be looking regarding Montreal supporters and their plans if they're off to Seattle. I recon I can figure out tickets in Toronto and know enough people there, but given that Montreal would be away, Seattle seems a little less straight forward. I would rather be with the Impact supporters who make the trip if possible. 

cheers,

matthew

No doubt about that.

On a different note, Montreal is just stylistically the worst match up for Toronto. They have a bunch of players developed in Europe or South America, guys with technical ability our US college boy defense can only dream of having. Considering their defenders fit the Euro/Latin American bill as well, Gio can't do his same old tricks that usually work with said US college boy defenders.

Archived