2016 MLS Eastern Conference Final - Impact vs TFC

shermanator

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Prediction: Seba scores 3 in the 2nd half. In the locker room after the game, Vanney awards the game's gold star to Zavaleta for the 19th time this year. Zavaleta then says "Thanks uncle Greg I mean coach" everyone else decides to lose the next game out of spite

7 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I am wondering the the recent US losses in WCQ have thrown Bradley and Altidore off their game.  They are not having anything like their usual influence on the game (he says, stating the blindingly obvious). 

Up until 2 minutes ago, I would have agreed...

I am big Osorio fan. Watching the ESPN feed and they were quite critical of Osorio's first half performance getting "out worked by his elder Canadian counterpart Bernier in the middle of the pitch".

I know Osorio will bounce back but at same time;

Awesome that 2 Canadian subs (Johnson $ Ricketts) Sparked the mini come back.

27 minutes ago, matty said:

Gonna say Toronto have a 60% chance of winning this series

I don't think I'm being too much of a Homer (heh) to say I think it might be higher than that. TFC have been dominant when they can control, and on their home pitch they can certainly do that. I think a 2-1 second leg is in the mix

Noticing a lot more people on my facebook feed who normally don't watch TFC commenting on this game, which is good. Hopefully they missed the first thirty minutes of the telecast, because whoever was responsible for that penalty box screw up will be lucky if they still have their job by tomorrow morning. Biggest domestic pro soccer game in Canadian history (with all due respect to the 1976 and 1979 Soccer Bowls) and that bush-league nonsense happens? WTF!!! Thankfully the game made up for it with 5 goals and because of the delayed start, the average ratings might even be higher as a result - but I see that even TSN's highlights package with 5 goals to show spends half the time showing the pk box lines being re-painted.

A win that feels like a loss. Yeah all the pundits had TFC taking this series hands down but up 2 goals after 13mins and 3-0 who would've thought that? Montreal let TFC back in the game although did anyone else think TFCs second goal to be a foul in the box? 

Advantage is definitely in TFCs court but hopefully they've learned not to take Montreal lightly. 

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

I am wondering the the recent US losses in WCQ have thrown Bradley and Altidore off their game.  They are not having anything like their usual influence on the game (he says, stating the blindingly obvious). 

Despite the goal, Bradley was clearly off his game, especially after the previous playoff games where he was largely excellent. Caldwell was correct to suggest he looked tired because he did to me as well - I put the first Impact goal down to Bradley from a TFC fault point of view as Bernier made the play and was Bradley's man. Another player away from international duty, Cooper, was also off, and in fact pretty much all of TFC were in the first half and early in the second - I'd include Giovinco in that. It was really the double-sub that turned the game, and possibly the whole series, around. Credit to the two Canucks who came off the bench for TFC and also for Bernier's performance for Montreal.

I'll take the two road goals but its a shame they didn't come in a 2-1 win, as goals 2 and 3 for Montreal came down to atrocious play for TFC with very preventable goals. But the way TFC played in the first half, they will be feeling pretty good about being only a goal down and with two road goals. Now they can go home, play on a legitimate playing surface*, and actually play well to get the win.

*4 days after the Grey Cup, so we'll see how good the playing surface actually is.

9 minutes ago, Moldy9 said:

A win that feels like a loss. Yeah all the pundits had TFC taking this series hands down but up 2 goals after 13mins and 3-0 who would've thought that? Montreal let TFC back in the game although did anyone else think TFCs second goal to be a foul in the box? 

At first glance yes......but there was one replay they showed facing the Montreal goal, which was the same angle the Ref had, where it looked like the Impact player went down easily/regardless of Altidore having his hands out and when I saw that I changed my mind. I'd have to re-watch that particular replay angle again in the next day or two.

7 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

At first glance yes......but there was one replay they showed facing the Montreal goal, which was the same angle the Ref had, where it looked like the Impact player went down easily/regardless of Altidore having his hands out and when I saw that I changed my mind. I'd have to re-watch that particular replay angle again in the next day or two.

Yeah I just got back from the pub I'll have to review the footage. 

Well apart from the 18 yard box fiasco a pretty entertaining game and a what a crowd, thank God for those two TFC goals or else BMO Field would have been basically empty next week now instead there is still everything to play for next week in Toronto at BMO going to be fun and the stadium will be rocking, hopefully the field will hold up fine with the weather and the Grey Cup just a few days before.

5 minutes ago, 1996 said:

Well apart from the 18 yard box fiasco a pretty entertaining game and a what a crowd, thank God for those two TFC goals or else BMO Field would have been basically empty next week now instead there is still everything to play for next week in Toronto at BMO going to be fun and the stadium will be rocking, hopefully the field will hold up fine with the weather and the Grey Cup just a few days before.

So i take it Garber lost his shit on Saputo and Saputo lost his shit on Legendre. How embarrassing for IMFC and the MLS with this game being broadcasted not only in US and Canada but all of the Americas and the world. Why this crap wasn't noticed earlier who knows? I bet IMFC will get fined or some other reprocussion. 

5 hours ago, TRM said:

Helluva game. Foot on the throat and they let them back up. Almost an epic comeback but Montreal still have the lead. Those 2 away goals though... ouch.

Hope the next game is as entertaining as this one was.

Great scoreline and promotion for the second leg! Gotta give TFC the edge here, as they have home-advantage. Would be great if the Impact could score fast again though, just to keep things interesting.   

12 hours ago, matty said:

Gonna say Toronto have a 60% chance of winning this series

According to Fig. 1 and 2 in the link below (near the end of the article), it's around a 50% chance. If you call Toronto and Montreal equal strength (probably accurate) there is a bit less than 50% chance of TFC progressing. If you call Toronto the stronger of the two (based on their seeding) there is a bit more than 50% chance of TFC progressing.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/279211418_What_is_a_good_result_in_the_first_leg_of_a_two-legged_football_match

12 hours ago, Moldy9 said:

Advantage is definitely in TFCs court but hopefully they've learned not to take Montreal lightly. 

I'm a TFC fan, and I thought it was a foul. That being said, the ref also kept his cards in his pocket on a couple occasions when I was sure there should be a yellow. I guess he was erring on the side of leniency.

Archived