2016 MLS Eastern Conference Final - Impact vs TFC

shermanator

Given that NYCFC need 6 in 45 minutes I don't think I'm jinxing things by starting this thread now. Impact will host on Nov 22 at Olympic Stadium and TFC will host Nov 30 at BMO Field. Going with my gut, I think that the Impact take this series, simply because of how good they have looked by knocking off an incredibly in form DC United, followed by their performance against Red Bulls. That said, I could really see this series going either way.

If the Impact win, they will be on the road in the MLS Cup final regardless of their opponent. If TFC win, they will be at home for the MLS Cup final if Seattle goes through, but will be on the road if either Colorado or Dallas make the final.

I think this is going to be a hell of a series. 

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Damn. Talk about running up the score. On to the Conference final for the 2 eastern Canuck teams. Pity only one can go to the championship after that.

After scoring 1 in each of the previous 2 games Osorio had me concerned last week that he was back to form by skying a shot way over the net. Back on the scoreboard this week. Keep it rolling.

57 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Given that NYCFC need 6 in 45 minutes I don't think I'm jinxing things by starting this thread now. Impact will host on Nov 22 at Olympic Stadium and TFC will host Nov 30 at BMO Field. Going with my gut, I think that the Impact take this series, simply because of how good they have looked by knocking off an incredibly in form DC United, followed by their performance against Red Bulls. That said, I could really see this series going either way.

If the Impact win, they will be on the road in the MLS Cup final regardless of their opponent. If TFC win, they will be at home for the MLS Cup final if Seattle goes through, but will be on the road if either Colorado or Dallas make the final.

A Canadian club will win MLS Cup, you can bet on that. So add Canada > USA in addition to Mexico > USA.

8 minutes ago, Mister215Guy said:

A Canadian club will win MLS Cup, you can bet on that. So add Canada > USA in addition to Mexico > USA.

I don't think we should get too excited with that considering two noteable Yanks play for TFC however Garber should make a rush to change the Canadian rule so there will be a drain of Cdn talent playing their trade in the US lol!  

Talk about piss poor planning. Garber knows how to shit on a derby when he has the first leg on a Tuesday and the 2nd leg on a Wednesday! WTF?! Seriously after having 2x Super Sunday's where we can't even get full coverage due to over lap now you have weekday games???

Just now, Moldy9 said:

I don't think we should get too excited with that considering two noteable Yanks play for TFC however Garber should make a rush to change the Canadian rule so there will be a drain of Cdn talent playing their trade in the US lol!  

Talk about piss poor planning. Garber knows how to shit on a derby when he has the first leg on a Tuesday and the 2nd leg on a Wednesday! WTF?! Seriously after having 2x Super Sunday's where we can't even get full coverage due to over lap now you have weekday games???

The only reason Canadians are not domestics in the US is Garber is afraid that Canadian players will take up all the spots leaving talentless Americans with nothing.

KJ (Kristian Jack) just said TFC are the favourites after their 5-0 performance. Meh wouldn't be so quick to dismiss IMFC performance vs D.C. who were the hottest team going into the playoffs, plus NYRB that were top seed and undefeated for several months but hey if they want to underestimate Montreal do so. They love playing underdogs. 

In the little time Drogba played tonight he reminded us why he's vital to the team. The man has the quality. Simple as that. Yeah he ain't fast but he's strong and accurate. If it were Oduro making that pass to Piatti for the second goal he would've shanked it. Plus Drogba taking free kicks near the box is deadly. 

I do wonder if we will see Drogba play on turf at the Big O. 

4 hours ago, Moldy9 said:

BMO Field is unavailable on the weekend of Nov. 27 (and for several days before and after) due to the Grey Cup, hence the midweek Eastern Conference games.

8 hours ago, Raven1555362272 said:

Soooooo looking forward to this one. Nice to see some attacking footy, I believe that both teams will win their home matches..... Hoping for a MTL v Seattle final....short trip for me to the final.

Was checking flights from Edmonton to Abbotsford that weekend and they're pretty cheap. 

8 hours ago, RS said:

BMO Field is unavailable on the weekend of Nov. 27 (and for several days before and after) due to the Grey Cup, hence the midweek Eastern Conference games.

True, but the final is not until December 10th, so presumably the 2nd leg at least could have been on the weekend of the 2nd/3rd

13 hours ago, Moldy9 said:

I have said it before - as much as I wish we had Canadian nats leading TFC to glory, full props to the play of Bradley and Altidore.  Talk about DPs delivering value for money.  Gio obviously as well, but the Americans are definitely doing to job for us.

14 hours ago, shermanator said:

I think both Montreal & TFC fans should be cheering for a Seattle win in the west - not that it's easy to win in Seattle but you don't have the altitude factor that gives Colorado an extra advantage at home.

As for the two Canadian teams, both sets of fans can be proud, whatever happens next. Even with TFC's 7-0 aggregate win, what Montreal has done has arguably been even more impressive since they've been beating teams that were in form and have actually shown up to play.

If it's Colorado I think Montreal would do better but if it's Seattle I think TFC would have the best chance. To be honest both western teams will be tough to beat.

I really don't think I could handle Seattle doing what Portland did last year and getting hot & healthy at the right time of year and taking it all. That would just totally suck.

In all honesty I think Colorado will take the west.

Personally I think Seattle is the tougher opponent due to their run of form since Schmid left and Lodeiro came in to the squad. I think Colorado is somewhat overrated but agree that altitude can be the wildcard.

As an aside, we need to have Bob Cole call this series. OHHHH.....BABY!

The return leg of the conference final will really put the sharing with the Argos on grass to the test. Hopefully puts the issue to rest, but still have serious doubts on the two sports in four days at that time of year. Is there any chance BMO Field could host the final? Dec 10th in a southern Ontario winter is maybe a bridge too far in climate terms? Hopefully they get the chance to give it a go.

If the rumours are true, it would be funny seeing TSN part ways with MLS right before the league draws its highest ratings with the network.

Either way, sports entities in other major metros across Canada are going to be reminded why they're being presented the argument for establishing pro soccer clubs when they see the packed stadiums and high ratings this semi finals is going to bring.

23 minutes ago, Macksam said:

If the rumours are true, it would be funny seeing TSN part ways with MLS right before the league draws its highest ratings with the network.

Either way, sports entities in other major metros across Canada are going to be reminded why they're being presented the argument for establishing pro soccer clubs when they see the packed stadiums and high ratings this semi finals is going to bring.

There does seem to be a kind of "strike-when-the-iron's-hot" opportunity here with respect to CPL.  Two of the three Canadian teams having deep, exciting runs in the play-offs.  First ever appearance by a Canadian team in the finals.  There may be some irony in using MLS events to leverage support for a potential rival league, but if I was involved with CPL, I would be trying to make some sort of official noises about league plans in the build-up to the upcoming games.

15 hours ago, Moldy9 said:

MLS as club schedules so parents can go to the cottage on weekend, remember they are working with US Thanksgiving.

11 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

There does seem to be a kind of "strike-when-the-iron's-hot" opportunity here with respect to CPL.  Two of the three Canadian teams having deep, exciting runs in the play-offs.  First ever appearance by a Canadian team in the finals.  There may be some irony in using MLS events to leverage support for a potential rival league, but if I was involved with CPL, I would be trying to make some sort of official noises about league plans in the build-up to the upcoming games.

Or (to play devil's advocate) it shuts the door on any Toronto or Montreal teams in the CPL. You have the North American champions (79 all over again!!!) and over here that other D2/3/whatever team.

3 minutes ago, TRM said:

Or (to play devil's advocate) it shuts the door on any Toronto or Montreal teams in the CPL. You have the North American champions (79 all over again!!!) and over here that other D2/3/whatever team.

Meh. Increased mainstream attention to soccer from the deep runs is more beneficial to the whole league (which will be primarily in non-MLS markets) than it will be harmful to the Toronto team. Regardless, there will always people discontented with TFC for a variety of reasons (feeling overly corporate, low Canadian content, poorly located for them in particular, they liked the CPL team's jersey better, their ex liked TFC, etc).

Fandom usually starts for a pretty random reason, and while the deep run will certainly make it harder by losing out on people who were pissed with TFC a couple years ago, anyone bailing because of poor performance was going to be a fairweather fan anyway. Besides, among the hardcore, I'm sure there will be plenty of people supporting both, especially if season tickets are a fraction of TFC's

13 hours ago, Macksam said:

Exactly what I was thinking!! These playoff runs would be the perfect thing to build MLS ratings on TSN for future seasons, except it sounds like it won't be on TSN.

1 hour ago, TRM said:

Four years after the Whitecaps won the Soccerbowl a six team Canadian pro league called the CPSL was launched with the  Edmonton Eagles, Hamilton Steelers,  Inter-Montreal FC, Mississauga Croatia SC, Calgary Mustangs and Toronto Nationals on board. It only lasted 73 days with the Montreal and Toronto teams folding midseason.

Archived