Roster for September WCQ - News / Discussion

shermanator

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What has Johnson done to earn a call up? Hes fallen to 4th in the pecking order at his club behind Bradley,Osorio,Delgado, and Chapman. Both Osorio and Chapman are better technical players, which would compliment Atiba and Scott's work rate perfectly. Johnson gets no pity from me. You must earn a call up, not be handed one.

TFC can't block the NT from calling its players for WCQ any more than any other club can. Especially since after this Saturday TFC doesn't have any games until September 10th, so there's no reason to try to hold back any player (even if they were allowed to) since they have no club games.

This has to be a coach/player decision, either the coach doesn't think he's fit enough to do the insane amount of running that Floro will require in Honduras or the player telling the coach that he's not fit enough. Or both.

4 minutes ago, Fastfeet2 said:

What has Johnson done to earn a call up? Hes fallen to 4th in the pecking order at his club behind Bradley,Osorio,Delgado, and Chapman. Both Osorio and Chapman are better technical players, which would compliment Atiba and Scott's work rate perfectly. Johnson gets no pity from me. You must earn a call up, not be handed one.

I don't think he's fallen behind any of those players in the pecking order at TFC (other than he would not be 1st choice for the d-mid spot over Bradley or even Cheyrou), and it's not like there's only one midfielder position that they are all vying for. Will starts when he's fit & healthy.

All of this is based on a single tweet that doesn't cite a source.   Not saying it isn't true - especially since he has been injured recently - but it is probably a bit too early to cancel the season ticket and start calling in death threats.

Once the roster is released, then we will know if we should go into head-explode mode.

17 minutes ago, Fastfeet2 said:

What has Johnson done to earn a call up? ....You must earn a call up, not be handed one.

Not sure what national team you have been watching, but Johnson has more than earned a call up.  He is one of those guys that empties the tank on the field - every time - and that is exactly what we will need if we have any chance of getting a result in Honduras.

7 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

All of this is based on a single tweet that doesn't cite a source.   Not saying it isn't true - especially since he has been injured recently - but it is probably a bit too early to cancel the season ticket and start calling in death threats.

Once the roster is released, then we will know if we should go into head-explode mode.

The tweet's from a journalist who has regular access to the team that Johnson plays for, so chances are strong that it's accurate.

29 minutes ago, Fastfeet2 said:

uhhh...This is the same team that will probably call in Straith, who's second division team in Norway is battling relegation, Jakovic, who doesn't play for his 2nd division team in Japan, and probably call in Vitoria and Hoilett, one who just joined a new club after months of no club ball, and the other who has not had a team since the summer. Not to mention the probable exclusion of Osorio. We've seen that under Floro, "earning" call ups isn't how things work.

21 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Not sure what national team you have been watching, but Johnson has more than earned a call up.  He is one of those guys that empties the tank on the field - every time - and that is exactly what we will need if we have any chance of getting a result in Honduras.

The man has played 90 mins of footy since June. Not sure how thats more than earned him a call up? 

I tend to think that guys earn some degree of respect and consideration based on past performances, consistently high levels of effort, and a high degree of confidence that past behaviour is a good indicator of future effort.  You seem to think every call up is based solely on very recent form.

You may or may not be right - but I disagree.  In my books, Johnson has done more than enough to deserve a call up if both he and Floro think he is fit enough.  If they don't, that is a different matter, but to drop a guy like him based solely on limited minutes recently as he comes back from injury would be the wrong decision IMO.

31 minutes ago, Fastfeet2 said:

The man has played 90 mins of footy since June. Not sure how thats more than earned him a call up? 

Yes, of course, because if Atiba had only played 90 minutes in the last two months we would all agree he shouldn't be called....

1 hour ago, Fastfeet2 said:

Yeah, right. I'm sure Johnson when fully fit is the second midfielder on Vaney's team sheet behind Bradly. The guy will literally break his leg to score in a cup tie. Not very many players in on TFC (or Canada) with that kind of balls/commitment.

Big loss if he's not going to be there. I hope this is Larson talking out of his ass.

If he isn't on at these games, something must be up... Might disagree with Floro's selections/tactics/line-ups sometimes but he's not retarded, and that's what he'd have to be to want to leave Will out, as purely his decision.

9 minutes ago, aloyol said:

Yes, of course, because if Atiba had only played 90 minutes in the last two months we would all agree he shouldn't be called....

Depends if he was training everyday and just not being select, or if he was injured for 2 months just returning. Why are you comparing Atiba to Will though? Different class player.

1 hour ago, king1010 said:

Wait what? Did you just say johnson was better than arfield and hutchinson? 

This is the biggest set of games we have in 4 years. I dont care if tfc asks to hold johnson back. You tell them to shove it. 

The point I was trying to make was that even if Cristante was in the fold, we'd still need to bring Johnson. Hutchinson, Arfield, Cristante in the team would be great, but we'd still need one more central mid, and it should be Johnson over anyone else.

I'm not even going to stress myself over this as I cannot even possibly imagine it would be coach's decision to leave Johnson - a veteran and team leader - out for two of our most important matches in years. If he's out, there's another reason and it may be lack of fitness. I would also hope, if not expect, that if he's out Floro would have talked it over with WJ and it was player's decision. This is simply conjecture, but there is no other sensible explanation.

5 minutes ago, Fastfeet2 said:

Depends if he was training everyday and just not being select, or if he was injured for 2 months just returning. Why are you comparing Atiba to Will though? Different class player.

Will is fit. He was good enough for 75 min on saturday and 15 min yesterday.

Also, he's been an integral part of our MNT as of late so I don't understand why he has to "earn" a call. We all know what he brings to the team when he's fit, which he is right now.

If Will had played badly as of late with TFC and wasn't able to crack the starting lineup while healthy, I would agree to leave him out of the squad but the reason for his recent inactivity is injury which is very different than loss of form.

I compared Johnson and Atiba mainly because I feel we have certain players who are good enough to be called when they are in this situation (recent period of club inactivity but fit right now) because they are veteran who brings leadership to the team. Yes Atiba is a more talented player but Will works ethic on the field is second to none. I'm not saying he's a 100 % starter, but bring him because we might need him for only 15 min to get a result in Honduras. Better see him than Piette as a late game sub IMHO.

1 hour ago, Fastfeet2 said:

I am a big WJ fan, support and cheer for any and every Canadian. 

To be honest, he hasn't played a full 90 in months & aside from his away game in Belize. I always felt he tremendously underperformed away or in Central America(alot of Canadians have though). 

I think people tend to forget.... in my opinion he was the worst player on the pitch for us away in Mexico. Yes, one bad game, but he also wasn't part of the last camp.

Agreed, strong possibility we see Osorio or Chapman, both match fit and they have both earned it.

If jdg is on the squad I don't see him getting many minutes if any, more of a guidance/leadership/translator lol

Judging from the question marks vs the commas, I would guess that Obinna is placing WJ ahead of Edgar, Straith and Piette, but behind Hutch, Arfield and Cristante.  Only one I wouldn't agree with is Cristante but only for lack of first hand observation.

(Edit: whoops.  Read to the last page before posting...  :) )

31 minutes ago, Obinna said:

The point I was trying to make was that even if Cristante was in the fold, we'd still need to bring Johnson. Hutchinson, Arfield, Cristante in the team would be great, but we'd still need one more central mid, and it should be Johnson over anyone else.

I was just making a joke.

We got smoaked last time away in Honduras. We are going to play very defensive and try to steal a win late. Just a reality being away in Honduras. 

I see the triangle mid being hutch/arfield/(Piette/Edgar).

Hoilett & tesho on wings with potential subs being (simeone & ricketts). 

Floro might surprise us, but that is what I hope he does. 

Well, I certainly didn't see that coming. I hope the CSA roster release explains Will's omission, just so everything is open and clear.

The only reason I can come up with (and I'm just guessing here) is that Will's injury recovery still need close monitoring after each game and lot of post-match maintenance, to the point that international matches/travel may not be able to cope. Anyway - I hope that the decision was made between Floro and Will  - and that TFC had no impact (other than passing on medical info).

Archived