How to beat the Whitecaps on June 1, 2016

Imagine yourself the coach of the Ottawa Fury, what tactics, what latent weakness in the Whitecaps can be used to pull out a win at home in the Voyageurs Cup.

Can we assume a "B" team from the Whitecaps ? or will they field a strong squad to finish Ottawa off early and let the "B" selection play at home in Vancouver ?

I think Ottawa will need to clearly play with a large amount of passion, with players hoping to be seen by an MLS club up close in a meaningful game, tactically Ottawa will need to be first to every ball and when not first to will need a first and second defender shutting down Vancouver not only in the middle third but in the Whitecaps defensive zone, a relentless disciplined press to negate Vancouvers superior strikers by taking away time on the ball from the feeder players to the forwards.

Any thoughts on the affect a large home crowd would have on the Ottawa players ?

On May 19, 2016 at 1:35 PM, Benjamin Massey said:

White team elimination watch is on.

How does a bad NASL team beat a good MLS team? Well, use mind control to make Carl Robinson put out a full reserve squad, then get lucky as shit. Simple.

Last year's Ottawa squad had quite a few ex-MLS players.  I think that they would have had a decent shot.   Now i dont know.  Biggest different i see between teams in the two circuits is in the ability to create.   Yes, and NASL teams can score but its more often than otherwise off of indirect set pieces, Corners, PK's and opposing team defensive miscues.   But most MLS teams have at least one or two players who can create something.   

So it will likely be 11 men behind the ball and wait for your chances for Ottawa.

I feel really bad for Ottawa. A high profile game against the Whitecaps that will be broadcast on national TV and they are going to be without 2 of their most experienced players. Even as a Whitecaps fan that is disappointing.

On 5/27/2016 at 3:56 PM, masster said:

I feel really bad for Ottawa. A high profile game against the Whitecaps that will be broadcast on national TV and they are going to be without 2 of their most experienced players. Even as a Whitecaps fan that is disappointing.

Its interesting the Ottawa players "had" to be called for friendlies... for a club it must always be a part of analysis ...do I pick up a Canada pool player or players and suffer in league competition or Voyageurs Cup when the national team calls ?

Or do I use equivalent player talent who in their home countries will be in a much deeper talent pool and not subject to call ups to national teams ?

So... Brazilian and Canadian equivalent skills / salary etc. do you go with player who won't be called up or player who may well be ... and how does that affect the  club viability long term ?

I doubt Floro gave it a thought or that Dalglish could even have a conversation with him about the issues of releasing players for friendlies on Voyageur Cup dates.

On 5/27/2016 at 2:56 PM, masster said:

It certainly sucks for them, but on the other hand they are accustomed to playing without de Guzman: he's only appeared in 4 matches this season.

On 27/5/2016 at 9:56 PM, masster said:

Don't know who was saying it, but a good point was made: it is the same Association that organizes international friendlies on the other side of the world and two key Voyageur Cup matches the same week. That is really poor planning.

Counter-organizing against itself. That is pretty unique I think, I'd go further: no frigging nation in the world organizes the national cup on days the national team is in camp. It is unheard of. I did not think much at first, but now I realize it is totally pathetic on the part of the CSA, so amateur.

13 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Counter-organizing against itself. That is pretty unique I think, I'd go further: no frigging nation in the world organizes the national cup on days the national team is in camp. It is unheard of. I did not think much at first, but now I realize it is totally pathetic on the part of the CSA, so amateur.

Not true. England had a friendly the day after the FA cup final this year and there were players called the camp who couldn't attend because of the cup final. 

1 hour ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

Not true. England had a friendly the day after the FA cup final this year and there were players called the camp who couldn't attend because of the cup final. 

That proves my point. We can understand a friendly, as it is different. Spain played a friendly on Sunday afternoon, less than 24h after the Champions final. In both cases it was about getting into camp for the Eurocup early regardless of the players still in competition. 

In any case, the difference is glaring: England does NOT call in players in the FA Cup final to national team camp and friendly, Spain does not call in players from Real or At Madrid for the same. But Canada takes Canadians off Canadian teams playing the Canadian Cup for a friendly in Austria. Huge difference and hugely amateur.

On 19/05/2016 at 10:35 AM, Benjamin Massey said:

How does a bad NASL team beat a good MLS team? Well, use mind control to make Carl Robinson put out a full reserve squad, then get lucky as shit. Simple.

Nobody ever said I was smart.

W H I T E   T E A M

On 5/27/2016 at 3:56 PM, masster said:

Yeah, pretty unfair, National TV, CMNT players called by Floro, Whitecaps with MLS swagger....but the pixie dust arrived for one game and much maligned Jonny Steele rocks the Whitecaps with an early strike. Fury played with Heart, attacked and had success, can they do it next week?

12 minutes ago, Trillium said:

Yeah, pretty unfair, National TV, CMNT players called by Floro, Whitecaps with MLS swagger....but the pixie dust arrived for one game and much maligned Jonny Steele rocks the Whitecaps with an early strike. Fury played with Heart, attacked and had success, can they do it next week?

I expect the Fury to just counter attack and sit back.  I'm expected Rivero and Manneh up front, Techera, Morales, Laba and maybe Bustos to help out while Aird, Parker, Kah and Harvey and Ousted in net.  That is if the FO doesn't want to be embarassed and crash out in the 1st round.  With that lineup, I think the Caps could tie.  Don't know if the Caps can keep a clean sheet, so we'll see.  Obviously next year, some Canadians on the USL team will probably not be on the team or maybe reinforce other NASL teams. 

14 minutes ago, Trillium said:

Maybe yes, maybe no: but for now savour the satisfaction of having taken some MLS scalp. Well deserved win.

8 hours ago, nolbertos said:

I expect the Fury to just counter attack and sit back.  I'm expected Rivero and Manneh up front, Techera, Morales, Laba and maybe Bustos to help out while Aird, Parker, Kah and Harvey and Ousted in net.  That is if the FO doesn't want to be embarassed and crash out in the 1st round.  With that lineup, I think the Caps could tie.  Don't know if the Caps can keep a clean sheet, so we'll see.  Obviously next year, some Canadians on the USL team will probably not be on the team or maybe reinforce other NASL teams. 

No Bustos. He was one of the weakest out there last night. He has good play making skills but his lack of speed without the ball is noticeable. He just can't seem to run fast. I expect Teibert beside Laba, Sam at LB and Kianz instead of Nico. Smith at RB is probably in the cards to give us some more height on the back row.

Bustos is not a winger. I agree he was very poor, and I'm a fan, but why you'd put a relatively slow, relatively unfit guy out wide like that and expect him to make magic in a fairly rigid role is beyond me. In general I didn't think the young Canadians where the Whitecaps' problem that match (although they didn't exactly impress, either), but Bustos was the exception.

Archived