• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

pretty excited with how this one is progressing.  maybe a little risky but for some reason Post-modern seems to fit for Mississauga(at least in my head).  It's supposed to look like the clock face from the clocktower(if that wasn't obvious).

Still working on getting the spacing with the lettering just right.  Ideally not overlapping the clock markings but still keeping the markings there(how the real thing looks)

@zen

Also, pretty pleased with the clever little slogan I came up with :P  get it?? ;)

Sigma Clock.png

edit: chose the time of just before 4 o'clock, because, well, thats go time.  School just ended for kids, or its the last hour of work for nine to fivers(aka go home early on a friday) - or If you view it in reverse, it's just after 11(aka we are a little more than 11, tie in with the slogan)

4 hours ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

pretty excited with how this one is progressing.  maybe a little risky but for some reason Post-modern seems to fit for Mississauga(at least in my head).  It's supposed to look like the clock face from the clocktower(if that wasn't obvious).

Still working on getting the spacing with the lettering just right.  Ideally not overlapping the clock markings but still keeping the markings there(how the real thing looks)

@zen

Also, pretty pleased with the clever little slogan I came up with :P  get it?? ;)

Sigma Clock.png

edit: chose the time of just before 4 o'clock, because, well, thats go time.  School just ended for kids, or its the last hour of work for nine to fivers(aka go home early on a friday) - or If you view it in reverse, it's just after 11(aka we are a little more than 11, tie in with the slogan)

Looks sick. I have a suggestion i'd like if you could try..can you leave the wings horizontal and have the, protrude on either side? kinda like the Royal Canadian Airforce insignia.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=air+force+medals&espv=2&biw=1455&bih=722&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiGu86CxPzRAhVm1oMKHf_fB2gQ_AUIBigB#tbm=isch&q=air+force+badges&imgrc=OQU8SJxapSI9NM:

On 21/01/2017 at 7:34 PM, Complete Homer said:

Ps. @Nathanael Martin and I were thinking about resurrecting the Sea to Sea podcast. I won't have time in the next while for it, but if you have some ideas for segments it would be good.

One I was thinking about was having a ~10 part series where we had a skype interview with each CPL supporter's group to see what they are up to, what has been working for them, what hasn't, etc. Probably best after an announcement once this is all in the public eye a bit more though (and I wouldn't be able to put it together for a while yet)

I definitely have some ideas! There's so much going on right now, so it would definitely be worth it.

On 2017-02-04 at 6:35 PM, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

Saint John NB idea.  Based on family coat of arms for Saint John(right)

St John FC.png

As a born and raised Saint Johner, this does not really reflect the Port City. There are key historical moments that are vital to the Saint John identity:

• Samuel de Champlain in 1604
  • Loyalist founding 1783-1785
  • Shipbuilding throughout 19th century
  • Irish famine migration in 1840s
  • Great Fire of 1877

The city definitely has a love/hate relationship with the Loyalist Man persona [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loyalist_Man], but it is unique. Other options include physical geography such as Bay of Fundy, Reversing Falls. Or, hell, just slap the Iriving Oil logo on there.

2 minutes ago, sloth8 said:

s a born and raised Saint Johner, this does not really reflect the Port City. There are key historical moments that are vital to the Saint John identity:

• Great Fire of 1877

The city definitely has a love/hate relationship with the Loyalist Man persona [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loyalist_Man], but it is unique. Other options include physical geography such as Bay of Fundy, Reversing Falls. Or, hell, just slap the Irving Oil logo on there.

This one made me laugh. 

8 hours ago, Nathanael Martin said:

I definitely have some ideas! There's so much going on right now, so it would definitely be worth it.

Some of us in the Halifax group were throwing around the idea of doing a live stream podcast to accompany a soccer night in Canada stream.  

It would be pretty unique and something that hasn't really been seen before.. Kinda along the lines of what Joe rogan does with fight companions.  

On 2/7/2017 at 9:56 AM, sloth8 said:

As a born and raised Saint Johner, this does not really reflect the Port City. There are key historical moments that are vital to the Saint John identity:

• Great Fire of 1877

The city definitely has a love/hate relationship with the Loyalist Man persona [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loyalist_Man], but it is unique. Other options include physical geography such as Bay of Fundy, Reversing Falls. Or, hell, just slap the Iriving Oil logo on there.

These are some great places to start, but I'm struggling with translating anything to symbols.  

Samuel de Champlain is obviously a mega badass, but I don't think a picture of his face would exactly do.  Perhaps a compass or some sort of cartography equipment?  We could certainly use traditional "loyalist" colours.

I've already sort of included the bay of fundy in Moncton's logo(Tide symbolism), but if theres a way to make this work in another way I'm all ears.  As far as port city goes... I suppose an anchor would work?  But that does feel a bit overdone.  Then again, if thats what you think is best I can totally try it.  

Perhaps some combination of a compass and anchor with loyalist colours?

Otherwise I'm stumped for now.

Edit: also, I thought loyalists were red coats?  Why does the loyalist man have a blue coat?  Am I missing something here?

1 hour ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

These are some great places to start, but I'm struggling with translating anything to symbols.  

Samuel de Champlain is obviously a mega badass, but I don't think a picture of his face would exactly do.  Perhaps a compass or some sort of cartography equipment?  We could certainly use traditional "loyalist" colours.

I've already sort of included the bay of fundy in Moncton's logo(Tide symbolism), but if theres a way to make this work in another way I'm all ears.  As far as port city goes... I suppose an anchor would work?  But that does feel a bit overdone.  Then again, if thats what you think is best I can totally try it.  

Perhaps some combination of a compass and anchor with loyalist colours?

Otherwise I'm stumped for now.

Edit: also, I thought loyalists were red coats?  Why does the loyalist man have a blue coat?  Am I missing something here?

The UK mut with French combination makes me think of the Royal Standard of the UK or the escutcheon of the Coat of Arms of Canada (maybe replace the maple leaves with the ship from the NB flag). I think the ship from NB flag/UNB logo (the old one) is a better symbol than the anchor. Other suggestions include lighthouse for Patridge Island, the Carleton Materllo Tower, or Fort Howe. Perhpas just avoid using a soccer ball with a flame or wave behind it...

From what I understand, most Loyalist regiments did wear red coats, but some also wore blue and green. I think the city went with blue because to fit with the ocean motif. If you want to go Loyalist route, this is the logo for the City of Saint John:

saintjohnlogo.jpg

19 hours ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

new westminister update:

New Westminister [Recovered].png

This makes me wonder why none of the places with "New" in their name don't also have "and improved". I'm sure a lot more people would live in Atlantic Canada if there was a province called New And Improved Brunswick.

5 hours ago, Kent said:

This makes me wonder why none of the places with "New" in their name don't also have "and improved". I'm sure a lot more people would live in Atlantic Canada if there was a province called New And Improved Brunswick.

How's about a vaction to Newandimprovedfoundland?

Archived