• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah. as a starting point it's interesting and its big and chunky, two tone so it works well in a lot of different places beyond the uniform itself. The fonts leave something to be desired and I'd be curious as to why they picked such a sharp serif on the H specifically. I think what struck me about it again is that throwback logos often feel trite and the north american logo aesthetic often doesn't feel right. This was an interesting starting place that could lead to a unique design that was still hard working.

8 minutes ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

well.. I can't do all that fancy photoshop stuff yet,

but I can try using a similar font lol

right is old one, left is new one

Hamilton new font.png

I think there's an opportunity to strip this back even further. What if it was just the letter "H" and the hammer? Or just the hammer itself? What could be done with just the shape of a hammer or the letter to speak to everything? There's an opportunity to go full Paul Rand on the hamilton logo because of the visual territory being relatively familiar to the market. the logo doesn't have to include as much stuff to communicate as much. It's a rare opportunity with respect to hamilton that seems like a fantastic starting point. you could do 100 different iterations with just the letter H alone because visually it's such a great letter: it's symmetric and beautifully angled (in my opinion only an uppercase A has it beat). The opportunity to be so simple could make this a real key logo of the league.

Just my two cents.

2 hours ago, lazlo_80 said:

IX5zjx0.png

These are fantastic uniforms.  Colour scheme is good, design is clean and I think Tim Hortons may even be a sponsor.  

I really don't like the HC logo though.  It looks like a city that starts with C not H.  I really prefer the hammer based logo that @GuillermoDelQuarto designed

*edit* on second thought that all black jersey would be brutally hot in the middle of summer.  A black and white one with gold accents would be better.  The Black and Gold one is almost perfect though.

47 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

These are fantastic uniforms.  Colour scheme is good, design is clean and I think Tim Hortons may even be a sponsor.  

I really don't like the HC logo though.  It looks like a city that starts with C not H.  I really prefer the hammer based logo that @GuillermoDelQuarto designed

*edit* on second thought that all black jersey would be brutally hot in the middle of summer.  A black and white one with gold accents would be better.  The Black and Gold one is almost perfect though.

curious what you think of these.  Not sure if you've seen them already.  Tried to pay homage to the ticats slightly

Like I said I can't make them look as slick as buddy whos a pro, but try and use your imagination a bit.

Hamilton Tiger Uni's.png

edit: ticats jerseys in case someone else is reading this, for reference.

CFL_HAM_Jersey.png

1 hour ago, lazlo_80 said:

I think there's an opportunity to strip this back even further. What if it was just the letter "H" and the hammer? Or just the hammer itself? What could be done with just the shape of a hammer or the letter to speak to everything? There's an opportunity to go full Paul Rand on the hamilton logo because of the visual territory being relatively familiar to the market. the logo doesn't have to include as much stuff to communicate as much. It's a rare opportunity with respect to hamilton that seems like a fantastic starting point. you could do 100 different iterations with just the letter H alone because visually it's such a great letter: it's symmetric and beautifully angled (in my opinion only an uppercase A has it beat). The opportunity to be so simple could make this a real key logo of the league.

Just my two cents.

you make a good point. 

I'm somewhat torn.  Minimalism is almost always good, but the truth is that if you look at just about all of the most popular soccer crests, they aren't that simple.

The only exception that comes to mind is Rangers.  But honestly, manchester united/city, arsenal, chelsea, real madrid, I'll give you barcelona(its fairly simple, but still not like basic).  

maybe something like this?  just fucking around with it now

Hamilton H logo.png

1 hour ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

boom?

Hamilton H in crest.png

Yeah, personally I think this is better already! I think you could even remove the chainlink too and perhaps compensate by adding weight to the outline of the shield. 

And just another random thought, would you ever have the arm on the hammer look closer to the two sides of the letter "H" or the hammer head play off the serif of the letter "H"? Just a way to make the design over all feel more cohesive. might not work, again just a thought

Also, dude, this is all meant to be fun, if at any point I'm over stepping my bounds please just tell me to screw off. Honestly, I know you aren't getting paid to do this so it shouldn't feel like work and I'd hate to kill your excitement for taking on this sort of thing by coming off hyper critical.

8 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

Yeah, personally I think this is better already! I think you could even remove the chainlink too and perhaps compensate by adding weight to the outline of the shield. 

And just another random thought, would you ever have the arm on the hammer look closer to the two sides of the letter "H" or the hammer head play off the serif of the letter "H"? Just a way to make the design over all feel more cohesive. might not work, again just a thought

Also, dude, this is all meant to be fun, if at any point I'm over stepping my bounds please just tell me to screw off. Honestly, I know you aren't getting paid to do this so it shouldn't feel like work and I'd hate to kill your excitement for taking on this sort of thing by coming off hyper critical.

It's great criticism though. ...as a designer myself, majority of your suggestions are good. And @GuillermoDelQuarto loves feedback.

(Speaking for you buddy)

15 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

It's great criticism though. ...as a designer myself, majority of your suggestions are good. And @GuillermoDelQuarto loves feedback.

(Speaking for you buddy)

Cheers! Design is tough, thankless and incredibly iterative as a career and I just want to make sure the feedback never comes off like a crap client trying to suck the fun out of the process, especially with something thats meant to be fun.

Yeah honestly everyone's got different tastes which is cool.  As long as you're just explaining why u think something is cool it doesn't bother me.

If someone just comes in and says "this is shit" or "why are you even doing this" and offers nothing constructive then I have a problem.  But otherwise, its fun to try and refine things.  

I think I gotta learn Photoshop haha 

8 hours ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

Yeah honestly everyone's got different tastes which is cool.  As long as you're just explaining why u think something is cool it doesn't bother me.

If someone just comes in and says "this is shit" or "why are you even doing this" and offers nothing constructive then I have a problem.  But otherwise, its fun to try and refine things.  

I think I gotta learn Photoshop haha 

Do you use Adobe Illustrator at all?

Archived