Canadian Premier League

ted

1 hour ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

Would've thought they would use mosaic, and atleast tarp off the upper bowl (brings it to 14-16k). The facilities, and amenities are FIFA quality. So spending millions to have a temporary pop up stadium, to me doesn't make sense if you have a brand new beautiful stadium. Especially when the pop up will be turf.

Sewn in lines shouldnt be an issue in regard to making the initial investment  to replace the turf. 

Where did you see that the pop up stadium would have turf?

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Levi Oakey said:

Ahh the heady days of 30 pages ago when we all claimed there wasn't enough "noise" about cities. Only Hamilton and Halifax have been talked about!

We now have what; Halifax, Moncton, Ottawa, Hamilton, KW, Winnipeg, Regina, Saskatoon, Calgary, Edmonton. Not too shabby.

But we need reserve teams for stability! Won't someone please think of the stability!

3 hours ago, Levi Oakey said:

We now have what; Halifax, Moncton, Ottawa, Hamilton, KW, Winnipeg, Regina, Saskatoon, Calgary, Edmonton. Not too shabby.

Think more accurately we have Halifax (SEA), K/W (local PDL team), Saskatoon (local lacrosse owner) and possibly Regina (On Ice Management Inc) surfacing publicly as candidates with named ownership groups attached so far. Moncton was a soccer official trying drum up investor interest. As far as I am aware Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton are just podcast speculation at this point, with Calgary's absence at Whistler, BC being the biggest surprise so far given there is no USL or NASL team there and the CFL owners were strongly rumoured to be interested. What is noticeable is that the candidates that have surfaced are all smaller markets, which suggests that a plan B scenario might be what is now unfolding.

3 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Think more accurately we have Halifax (SEA), K/W (local PDL team), Saskatoon (local lacrosse owner) and possibly Regina (On Ice Management Inc) surfacing publicly as candidates with named ownership groups attached so far. Moncton was a soccer official trying drum up investor interest. As far as I am aware Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton are just podcast speculation at this point, with Calgary's absence at Whistler, BC being the biggest surprise so far given there is no USL or NASL team there and the CFL owners were strongly rumoured to be interested. What is noticeable is that the candidates that have surfaced are all smaller markets, which suggests that a plan B scenario might be what is now unfolding.

The Sask group isn't necessarily the lacrosse team. The representative is a former employee of them, but all he would say us that there is a "local component" to the ownership 

I agree that Moncton is more on the side of local governance drawing up support, but it was stated that there had been groups who have contacted the association about a team there

Not really going to touch the rest of your comment. The absence of a public statement of interest isn't evidence of its nonexistence, as there are clearly groups who have been working on a bid that were not accepted yet as clubs at the AGM. It's honestly boggling why you try to take every event and painfully contort it into your narrative. 

Just be happy man. We're getting a league of our own. 

Just now, Complete Homer said:

...Just be happy man. We're getting a league of our own. 

Rereading the Star Pheonix story, this bit:

http://thestarphoenix.com/sports/local-sports/genier

Genier, who left his post as Saskatchewan Rush president in February, was light on details Wednesday — but he did confirm he’s part of a group seeking to bring a Canadian Premier League team to Saskatchewan.

Definitely suggests that Valencia game in Regina being staged by On Ice Management Inc could be part of the same initiative, which takes things back to three surfaced publicly and yet to be accepted candidates, i.e. Halifax, K/W and Saskatchewan.

As for the rest, I'll only be happy when/if I see a viable successful lower level league operating in smaller markets like this whether that be domestic CSA sanctioned or USL/NASL that actually hangs around and has all the stakeholders in Canadian pro soccer pushing in the same direction. A league of our own that lasts a single season before owners from a non-soccer background realize that there's no instant pot of gold at the end of the rainbow and pull the plug does nobody any good and will have the soccer haters coming out of the woodwork again that have been silenced by the success of MLS over the last decade. Stuff like this is frankly scary:

“I have a real gut feeling,” Genier says. “Just given the numbers in amateur soccer in this province … when I came here (with the Rush), there was 1,500 people involved in lacrosse across the province. There’s 30,000 in soccer. I’m not a rocket scientist, but that says there’s a huge interest.”

Maybe he's right and recent success stories like FC Cincinnatti provide some reasons to believe, but a lot of people have lost a lot of money in the past based on similar gut feelings that recreational level soccer registration numbers would translate into spectator interest.  

44 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

As for the rest, I'll only be happy when/if I see a viable successful lower level league operating in smaller markets like this whether that be domestic CSA sanctioned or USL/NASL that actually hangs around and has all the stakeholders in Canadian pro soccer pushing in the same direction. A league of our own that lasts a single season before owners from a non-soccer background realize that there's no instant pot of gold at the end of the rainbow and pull the plug does nobody any good and will have the soccer haters coming out of the woodwork again that have been silenced by the success of MLS over the last decade. Stuff like this is frankly scary:

“I have a real gut feeling,” Genier says. “Just given the numbers in amateur soccer in this province … when I came here (with the Rush), there was 1,500 people involved in lacrosse across the province. There’s 30,000 in soccer. I’m not a rocket scientist, but that says there’s a huge interest.”

Maybe he's right and recent success stories like FC Cincinnatti provide some reasons to believe, but a lot of people have lost a lot of money in the past based on similar gut feelings that recreational level soccer registration numbers would translate into spectator interest.  

You seem to have an ability to speculate endlessly about certain things, like the absence of a Calgary rep at the announcement suggesting we are headed towards some inferior Plan B arrangement for CPL, yet you won't even acknowledge some common sense things like the fact that rich people don't get rich by making massive, ill-advised investments where they have unrealistic expectations and don't think about any contingency plan whatsoever.  The odds of an intelligent and business savvy group of owners banking on "an instant pot of gold" or it all goes to hell, is ludicrous, yet it seems to be a really viable possibility from your perspective.  That seems like a pretty big leap of faith.  Yet you refuse to make any such leap of faith when it comes to any sort of generous or optimistic interpretation of other events - even in the midst of multiple sources expressing optimism about where all of this is headed.

Anyway, I know you will have some response - and I don't plan to engage you any further so have at it - but your one-sided slant on every burp and noise coming out about CPL is extremely tiring. 

8 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

...yet you won't even acknowledge some common sense things like the fact that rich people don't get rich by making massive, ill-advised investments where they have unrealistic expectations and don't think about any contingency plan whatsoever...

A comment like that shows you are relatively new to following Canadian pro soccer. Ever heard of the Toronto Shooting Stars?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto_Shooting_Stars

1 hour ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Rereading the Star Pheonix story, this bit:

http://thestarphoenix.com/sports/local-sports/genier

Genier, who left his post as Saskatchewan Rush president in February, was light on details Wednesday — but he did confirm he’s part of a group seeking to bring a Canadian Premier League team to Saskatchewan.

Definitely suggests that Valencia game in Regina being staged by On Ice Management Inc could be part of the same initiative, which takes things back to three surfaced publicly and yet to be accepted candidates, i.e. Halifax, K/W and Saskatchewan.

What doesn't help is shooting down every single thing people post relentlessly.  We have a World Cup and a League announced. 

Part of the problem of soccer registration numbers not translating is the relentless cynicism you find among those who should be the games biggest supporters.  

I'm not saying we should be witless cheerleaders of everything.  The league has been announced, the World Cup has been proposed.  Let's do one important thing.  Let's hit the reset button and have everyone on this board and beyond asking  one single thing.  

"How can I help?"    

24 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

A comment like that shows you are relatively new to following Canadian pro soccer. Ever heard of the Toronto Shooting Stars?

That's kind of an apples and oranges argument, not to mention belittling. Indoor soccer has never really been able to attract a large following as it just seems bush league to try to play in a hockey facility. FIFA-standard matches in appropriate facilities, whether CFL, SSS or pop-up, are a totally different story. The CPL has a great asset in Beirne - someone with real experience in getting professional, top-quality soccer off the ground in a new market - and they're obviously serious about their due diligence if they've only announced two franchises. I'm sure they could have rushed things and cut corners to announce a full slate for the 6 May announcement, but they consciously chose not to. CSA is well aware of the challenges they've faced in the past, and I'm sure that those are being taken into account. Yes, we all acknowledge that mistakes have been made in the past; that's how you learn. I really don't understand how it's so hard to imagine that people associated with the Duane Rollins Fantasy League CPL have learned.

As for the "gut feeling" comment, keep in mind that this is the first time we've heard anything serious out of Saskatoon. He's obviously been very tight-lipped about this so far (just like Winnipeg Football Club was), so I can completely understand why he wouldn't get into every detail about the behind-the-scenes work on this project. Saying he has a "gut feeling" is probably just him trying to talk to the media without giving away too much at this point.

For the record, rather than seize upon a single point in another person's post and run wild with it while completely ignoring every valid argument, point and piece of evidence raised by the other person, it'd really be more productive if you could consider and respond to the entirety of people's arguments. I can't imagine that you enjoy being dragged into these 300-page flame wars either, so why not just try to engage in real conversation rather than nay-saying and nit-picking?

I hate to run off again, but the office beckons. I'll keep an eye out for your inevitable response. ;)

28 minutes ago, admin said:

Part of the problem of soccer registration numbers not translating is the relentless cynicism you find among those who should be the games biggest supporters.

Meanwhile, I got my username from having gone on Bigsoccer in 2005 to argue vociferously that an MLS team in Toronto would work because I grew sick of the negative posts (including from at least one recent participant in this thread) that claimed otherwise. Pro soccer can and will work in Canada as MLS expansion has demonstrated. A domestic pro league would be a slam dunk at this point if the four USL/NASL teams combined their efforts with the two CPL ownership groups. If the stakeholders are instead pushing in three different directions we get to the point where we are at now.

51 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

So, your comparison point is an indoor soccer team, playing in a US league, funded by some fly-by-night investor that bailed after 3 games.  And you take that as representative of the kind of business investor backing CPL? 

Jesus you have some serious blinders on.  And for the record, don't assume you know anything about me.

1 minute ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Non-sequiturs are flying thick and fast now. What it shows is that rich people can and do make unwise investment decisions based on unrealistic expectations with no contingency plans.

Yes, and yet you conveniently ignore the realities of the 5 pro soccer clubs in Canada - all of which have either consistently turned a profit or which demonstrate business investors willing to ride out the tough times despite not making a profit.  You ignore those current and far more relevant examples, but dredge up a disanalogous example from 20 years ago.  Non-sequitur indeed...

Of course some people make shitty business decisions.  But the folks that we actually know about in this league - owners of 2 CFL franchises - have a history of supporting teams through tough times.  The CFL has faced many challenges over its history, and has at times struggled to maintain a strong fan base.  Yet these known owners (and CPL backers) have shown that they are willing to fight for the health of a pro league that doesn't materialize your "instant pot of gold".  Yet despite that clear and obvious indication (and the likelihood that they aren't going to bet their financial stake in CPL success by partnering with the kind of ludicrous investor you cited) you still have no issues speculating about the demise of a CPL run by used car dealers and snake oil salesman.

I am not asking you to be a cheerleader.  That clearly is not in your DNA when it comes to CPL.  Just don't be so goddamned pessimistic that every single bit of information is passed through some negativity filter so that you get to be the voice of doom in the midst of arguably the most exciting time in Canadian soccer history.

15 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Non-sequiturs are flying thick and fast now. What it shows is that rich people can and do make unwise investment decisions based on unrealistic expectations with no contingency plans.

We know soccer is a risk here.  

We need to shift our focus here onto ways of making it work and reaching people.  

22 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

But there's no proof these investors are anything like that.  I think the slow roll out has would indicate they are being cautious.  

I get what you're saying and it is a possibility for sure but you pulling a Jacob Marley constantly citing the ghosts of dead leagues and teams past as a warning of near certain failure is ridiculous.

24 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Yes, and yet you conveniently ignore the realities of the 5 pro soccer clubs in Canada - all of which have either consistently turned a profit or which demonstrate business investors willing to ride out the tough times despite not making a profit.  You ignore those current and far more relevant examples, but dredge up a disanalogous example from 20 years ago.  Non-sequitur indeed...

Of course some people make shitty business decisions.  But the folks that we actually know about in this league - owners of 2 CFL franchises - have a history of supporting teams through tough times.  The CFL has faced many challenges over its history, and has at times struggled to maintain a strong fan base.  Yet these known owners (and CPL backers) have shown that they are willing to fight for the health of a pro league that doesn't materialize your "instant pot of gold".  Yet despite that clear and obvious indication (and the likelihood that they aren't going to bet their financial stake in CPL success by partnering with the kind of ludicrous investor you cited) you still have no issues speculating about the demise of a CPL run by used car dealers and snake oil salesman.

I am not asking you to be a cheerleader.  That clearly is not in your DNA when it comes to CPL.  Just don't be so goddamned pessimistic that every single bit of information is passed through some negativity filter so that you get to be the voice of doom in the midst of arguably the most exciting time in Canadian soccer history.

I said this before, BBTB was thinking of opening a Pessimist Club but then realized NAW IT'LL NEVER WORK.:D

Key part is this quote:

“Ottawa Fury FC is a proud member of the United Soccer League, the world’s largest Division II professional soccer league. Our club has always supported the idea of a Canadian League and more opportunities for Canadian professional soccer players. We commend the work of everyone involved bringing the CPL to this stage. We have had open dialogue with the CPL and Canada Soccer and look forward to learning more about the league’s direction and business model.”

– Mark Goudie, COO, OSEG

6 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

You have been told that there is now a refocus "onto ways of making it work and reaching people". How does a childish personal attack assist in that regard?

I guess you didn't see the smiley face. I was a joke.

3 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

You have been told that there is now a refocus "onto ways of making it work and reaching people". How does a childish personal attack assist in that regard?

He can ignore it just as well as you can lol.  I thought it was a funny line but I love puns.  Not all jokes are "childish personal attacks" 

The Fozzie Bear twitter is awesome for puns by the way. 

9 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

And if you are coming to the game  on June 13 I'll be happy to pay you a beer.

Archived