Canadian Premier League

ted

18 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

There is "no shame" in either, but it would be a shame if CPL pay scales necessitate the latter.

Of which there is no proof there's going to be yet people are worrying that this is going to be a major issue.  Once again let's wait for the set up the league before imagining dire circumstances that may or may not come.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ted said:

Yes... and at the same time... no.

The CPL should be paying "full time" wages for the pre-season, regular-season, and post-season (if there is one). They don't need to be paying full time wages all year round for all players. I would expect average/utility players to have to get other work for the off-season. At least until the league is more mature.

I know for a fact that in the NHL, players are NOT paid for playoffs but they can have bonuses built in their contracts if they make it...usually for star players.

13 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Pretty sure some MLS players have of season jobs as well. The disparity between top salary and bottom is huge...does that make them an amateur league?

To some on here yes (and for many other reasons) lol

1 hour ago, Futballer said:

Nooooo CPL cannot consider that type of contract. those type of contract are for amateurs League and expectations. Our players must be employed by the clubs for an entire year, doing CPL Business an entire year, 

2 hours ago, Rheo said:

Most CFL players have off season jobs.  I'd expect the same with CPL at first with some exceptions.

I don't have a problem with this out of the gate.  Hopefully it won't be the case in 10 years.

If anyone bitches about it we can just say refer to the CFL, argument solved.

1 hour ago, matty said:

Anyone remember when meta world peace worked at circuit city because he was tired of partying in his spare time and wanted a discount?

also, this can't be real.  If so that's hilarious

6 hours ago, Nathanael Martin said:

Hey all, I interviewed Tyler Pasher from SKC a week or so back-the interview is now online at NSXI. I was able to talk to him specifically about the CPL and the domestic rules, their impact on Canadian soccer. If you don't feel like reading the whole interview-the CPL-pertinent stuff is contained in the last 4-5 paragraphs:

http://www.northernstartingeleven.com/tyler-pashers-journey-to-skc-why-canadians-needs-cpl/

Interesting that Paul Beirne retweeted it. #twitterhottakes

13 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

That angle also raises question about Winnipeg and to a lesser extent Calgary. For example, why would the fan group that has formed in Winnipeg have had no encouragement from the would be local owners similar to what has happened in Hamilton and Halifax when a 2018 launch is still being talked about? Can see why they might prefer to keep it quiet if there was a longer lead in time involved, but not when the signing of letters of intent is said to be imminent and the first front office hires should be being made.

It's a good question, but I'm interested to hear your answer to it.  Genuinely curious here, not just trolling.

The options I see are either:

• This whole league is a giant scam and they're duping us into believing that there's more than two teams in order to rustle up some more investors.
  • The ownership groups involved either don't want (or don't trust) the fan groups to be part of the startup.
  • The fan groups are really good at keeping their mouths shut (least likely).
  • The league isn't a giant scam, but we only have mid-range Ontario cities + Halifax instead of Calgary and Winnipeg, and they're just pretending to have them so Paul can watch our heads pop off when they announce it.

39 minutes ago, Alex D said:

I didn't care for Ron Artest but I sure do enjoy Metta World Peace. 

A buddy of mine was in an art show a few years ago about him and he showed up. Truly one of the great characters in modern sports history

Just got backed from the meeting, it was jammed. I think it took them by surprise. 

After hearing Paul Beirne very eloquently explain the plan for the 'CPL' and viewing SEA's proposal for a stadium and team on the Wanderer grounds I am fully 100% confident this has a chance to be something special for Halifax and Canada.

The enthusiasm from the overflow crowd was amazing. 

1 hour ago, Rheo said:

This is the kind of tweet that makes it seem like the leaked (?) Halifax presentation on CPL was much more than just a best guess.  The original 6 they identified may or may not be the final cities, but it sure seems like the Hali folks know some specifics about the league structure.  

4 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

This is the kind of tweet that makes it seem like the leaked (?) Halifax presentation on CPL was much more than just a best guess.  The original 6 they identified may or may not be the final cities, but it sure seems like the Hali folks know some specifics about the league structure.  

I never really bought the idea that SEA doesn't know... more or less everything. Who would buy into something like this and propose a stadium to city council without knowing all the details?

If it comes out that they were just illustrating a potential league without wanting to tip their hand, sure, seems plausible if a bit far fetched. But unaware of the teams involved? Nah. 

1 hour ago, baulderdash77 said:

Can you give some details on what was discussed ? 

In the picture it looked like a crowd.  How many people showed up?

There must have been like 100 people there. The main section was jammed and the overflow was out in the reception area was fairly full too. 

Derek (SEA) discussed the local club while Paul B. discussed the league. Some points made.......

League points:

1) Keep you eye peeled for the CSA AGM in May for news.

2) League will not start with less then 6 teams if it reaches its full potential could possibly reach 16 clubs max down the road.

3) Paul stated 'We will absolutely not be a developmental league for MLS'

4) League will start at a lower quality then MLS but will no necessarily be that way for ever depending how things develop.

5) League will emulate the things MLS did right - learn by MLS mistakes. 

6) Strong focus on Canadian players - solid quotas expanding over time.

7) A business plan that will allow markets outside MTL-TOR-VAN to be a success.

Local news:

Basically discussed the stadium, ticket prices (10$-35$), and goal of 3000 season tickets.

1 minute ago, grasshopper1917 said:

There must have been like 100 people there. The main section was jammed and the overflow was out in the reception area was fairly full too. 

Derek (SEA) discussed the local club while Paul B. discussed the league. Some points made.......

League points:

1) Keep you eye peeled for the CSA AGM in May for news.

2) League will not start with less then 6 teams if it reaches its full potential could possibly reach 16 clubs max down the road.

3) Paul stated 'We will absolutely not be a developmental league for MLS'

4) League will start at a lower quality then MLS but will no necessarily be that way for ever depending how things develop.

5) League will emulate the things MLS did right - learn by MLS mistakes. 

6) Strong focus on Canadian players - solid quotas expanding over time.

7) A business plan that will allow markets outside MTL-TOR-VAN to be a success.

Local news:

Basically discussed the stadium, ticket prices (10$-35$), and goal of 3000 season tickets.

Good to hear this is along the lines of what we'd been hearing. I don't suppose they gave a straight answer on Edmonton?

Also sounds like they have settled on some sort of domestic quota, or at least a general vision if they haven't arrived at solid numbers. Glad to hear they are starting somewhere realistic and expanding the quota over time, always thought it was a good idea (shameless plug)

Also, for the Wanderers guys, good work. I don't know how much of the crowd was organized by you, but it seems like you are doing a good job hyping things on the fan side

Archived