Canadian Premier League

ted

13 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Original NASL teams were drawing large crowds in the 70s and 80s in the three present day MLS markets and even had fan groups active similar to RPB and co, so what is really so unprecedented and new about the present day? It all revolves around getting the economic model right. The CSL failed mainly because the playing standard was too low overall to sustain interest and playing on airport runway shaped Canadian football fields made many of the games barely watchable even when stronger teams like the Blizzard and 86ers were involved. It had nothing to do with a lack of interest in the sport, which has always been there in southern Ontario, the Montreal area and lower mainland BC even when the mainstream were apathetic/hostile due to the high rates of immigration from soccer loving countries. Once MLS got it right in terms of the economic model there was no problem drawing a large crowd again similar to the original NASL era.

Teams in smaller cities like Halifax and Hamilton have a significantly tougher road to travel to reach profitability regardless of whether a USSF or CSA sanctioned league is involved but can succeed as long as the owners are willing to be patient and throw a lot of money at it to keep the playing standards reasonable until it gains traction as the Faths have been doing in Edmonton. The reason for a healthy degree of skepticism is that a lot of people have talked a good game on that in the past, but far fewer have actually hung in there and done it when the going got tough.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Original NASL teams were drawing large crowds in the 70s and 80s in the three present day MLS markets and even had fan groups active similar to RPB and co, so what is really so unprecedented and new about the present day? It all revolves around getting the economic model right. The CSL failed mainly because the playing standard was too low overall to sustain interest and playing on airport runway shaped Canadian football fields made many of the games barely watchable even when stronger teams like the Blizzard and 86ers were involved. It had nothing to do with a lack of interest in the sport, which has always been there in southern Ontario, the Montreal area and lower mainland BC even when the mainstream were apathetic/hostile due to the high rates of immigration from soccer loving countries. Once MLS got it right in terms of the economic model there was no problem drawing a large crowd again similar to the original NASL era.

Teams in smaller cities like Halifax and Hamilton have a significantly tougher road to travel to reach profitability regardless of whether a USSF or CSA sanctioned league is involved but can succeed as long as the owners are willing to be patient and throw a lot of money at it to keep the playing standards reasonable until it gains traction as the Faths have been doing in Edmonton. The reason for a healthy degree of skepticism is that a lot of people have talked a good game on that in the past, but far fewer have actually hung in there and done it when the going got tough.

You don't have the remotest idea what " a healthy degree of skepticism" is.

35 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/24thminute/status/847177775085703174

Rollins replied to Sandor. Will be interesting to see how this plays out. Given that it's Edmonton, I'm inclined to think that Sandor has stronger connections in this case

I think it's quite clear what's going on.

There's still two groups trying to put together a national league.

52 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

Rollins replied to Sandor. Will be interesting to see how this plays out. Given that it's Edmonton, I'm inclined to think that Sandor has stronger connections in this case

Complete agreement. Steve also don't post something that he doesn't check out (see the earlier rant from him today). From what I know, CPL wouldn't fit for what Katz would be looking for in a pro soccer team.

56 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

There were a couple of other other tweets from Rollins. One saying the owner may be interested separate from the team hence the truth. Also said either of them could be being played. Just more intrigue

6 minutes ago, jedinathan said:

Complete agreement. Steve also don't post something that he doesn't check out (see the earlier rant from him today). From what I know, CPL wouldn't fit for what Katz would be looking for in a pro soccer team.

Well, now that MLS has straight up dismissed further expansion into Canada, if Katz is looking for a league that will spend above an NASL/USL level, CPL seems to be his only option. I wouldn't find it shocking

3 hours ago, Rheo said:

Duane's right.

I was about to say cue BBTB to talk about the 1970s and immigrants from soccer loving nations in 3,2,1 but he already beat me to the punch, lol. 

With that in mind, could someone please tell him the The Blizzard were never a good draw, unless he considers a team that drew less than the present day Argos as having good support. ?

The TFC president Bill Manning will be Vocal Minority pod next week and are soliciting questions. They are planning CPL questions based on his comments but if there's anything specific here's the tweet to contact them 

31 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

Well, now that MLS has straight up dismissed further expansion into Canada, if Katz is looking for a league that will spend above an NASL/USL level, CPL seems to be his only option. I wouldn't find it shocking

I don't think that Katz has too much interest in soccer to be honest.

I also would have to say that if (And that's a big IF) there is a potential interest in Edmonton for a CPL team, they've not done a great job at trying to build up any sort of momentum. The only people that seem to have any idea are the Canadian supporters, and about half (or less) of the FCEd supporters. As far as I'm aware, there's been zero contact or feelers put out towards any of the supporter groups.

36 minutes ago, jedinathan said:

I don't think that Katz has too much interest in soccer to be honest.

I also would have to say that if (And that's a big IF) there is a potential interest in Edmonton for a CPL team, they've not done a great job at trying to build up any sort of momentum. The only people that seem to have any idea are the Canadian supporters, and about half (or less) of the FCEd supporters. As far as I'm aware, there's been zero contact or feelers put out towards any of the supporter groups.

I'm mean, no offence, but neither of us has a window into Katz's mind. I'm happy to see this play out, anyone pronouncing absolutes at this point is jumping to conclusions 

I also wouldn't read too much into efforts to reach out before the announcement. It seems clear that they want to control the flow of information and the way the league will be presented pretty tightly 

2 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

Well lets see who to believe, Steve Sandor, a qualified Canadian journalist, with ties to the city through Edmonton Oilers, Eskimos and FC edmonton coverage, or pseudo journalist Duane Rollins who keeps promising "next week guys, for sure CPL announcement" over the last 5 years.  Yeah Who to believe, right CPL guys, right??

1 minute ago, nolbertos said:

Well lets see who to believe, Steve Sandor, a qualified Canadian journalist, with ties to the city through Edmonton Oilers, Eskimos and FC edmonton coverage, or pseudo journalist Duane Rollins who keeps promising "next week guys, for sure CPL announcement" over the last 5 years.  Yeah Who to believe, right CPL guys, right??

Wow someone is bitter. I don't recall anyone, including himself, saying he was right and Sandor was wrong. He's just saying what he was told. Also given Sandor's complaints earlier about his CPL sources and their contradictions everything should be taken with a grain of salt until the formal announcement.

7 hours ago, rob.notenboom said:

Having said all of that, there's every possibility the Halifax graphic was not intended to be the literal original six teams and that rumours of a potential 2nd Edmonton team are greatly exaggerated. I don't know, and I respectfully submit that no one else on here does for certain either, so maybe we should all find some chill.

1) You are right on the money with that. This has been confirmed at a local level. The slide was simply part of a presentation solely directed towards getting approval for a pop-up stadium. The slide in question was used to slow several other *potential* franchise cities - all which have quality stadiums. The point of the slide was too show that Halifax could be part of this club and needs a stadium to be part of the league (among other things). 

2) Think about it logically. Edmonton has largely failed to support the current club for the past 7 years.There is an indication that finally the franchise is on an upswing with better season ticket sales and possibly a bit more support. Why would someone want to split the minimal support there already is in the city. My feeling is most reasonable thinking people know Edmonton is struggling to support 1 team and would never support 2 pro teams. So to me (and this is just a guess) just simple logic would indicate there will be no second franchise in  Edmonton. Of course I could be totally wrong.

With that being said I agree the rumors of a 2nd pro team in Edmonton are GREATLY exaggerated. In my eyes the chances are very slim to (more realistically) none.

1 hour ago, nolbertos said:

Is that you BBtB?

2 hours ago, nolbertos said:

You know Rollins has a legit background in journalism right? Yes he's never written for a major outlet but he isn't just some random guy reporting stuff. He's not the best journalist but he should at least be given some cred.

4 minutes ago, nolbertos said:

Sadly no, I wish I was BBtB though.  He's more knowledgeable than half the forum here on Canadian grassroots and CPL news

Lmao...you two need to get your heads out of each other's asses...there's a brave new world out there.

1 minute ago, longlugan said:

Lmao...you two need to get your heads out of each other's asses...there's a brave new world out there.

And yet its still 5 years and counting for the CPL launch.  At this rate, the Women could win a world cup by the time they launch.

6 minutes ago, nolbertos said:

Sadly no, I wish I was BBtB though.  He's more knowledgeable than half the forum here on Canadian grassroots and CPL news

Wow.  Why isn't it that people can't  have a different opinion on what's best without insults (and yes it goes both ways)

we really need to get civil here 

Archived